LOTW - 22-03-07 - Andy Ritchie

Ackey

I heard this on pretty good authority. When Stitch and Sharp were up for the managers job obviously there was a great deal of support for Andy and very little for the other candidate. Although Sharp did have some support, his supporters club used to meet up in the phonebox that was at the bottom of Sheepfoot Lane. Anyway it turns out that all the debate was solely on the fans part, and no matter how much we all wanted Stitch the board had decided as soon as JR went it was Sharps if he wanted it.

Apparently on the day of the interviews Sharp went in and was in for some time, he came out and said to the waiting Ritchie, "I've go no chance, go for it good luck mate" or words to that effect before doing one, ahem, sharpish. Andy's interview lasted about a minute or there abouts, or so I've heard, basically they said "hello Andy, we have given Graeme the job, see ya". I blame that bushy eyebrowedtwot Stott meself!

Edited by StipeTripe

Im with Stipey on this, the Arsenal goal is one memory I always think of when I think of Latics in general, not just Ritchie.

My other memory is after that very game me and Dad made it into the players lounge for the rest of the evening. Got to have a 5 minute chat with him about the game but I dont really recall what was said. He even shared a drink with my Dad.

Top bloke.

By the way the quality of the yarns on this thread, especially LaticsPete's, - is top class.

Great thread to read.

This is what we hoped for as the majority of readers will have some sort of story to tell, and the ones who were unfortunate not to be around at the time can get an insight into each player we publish weekly.

We appreciate everyones input into this and we will hopefully be able to do something more with all the stories!

Top player.

Went to school with his son Gregg, who didn't like football much in a supporting sense but did enjoy playing. Always tried a bit harder when Andy came to watch us play for school especially as he was manager at the time!

Was in the exec box (Latics Review competition win!) for the Coventry game mentioned earlier and had my picture taken with him after the game. Still got it on my shelf now.

Favourite memory is getting soaked in the Lookers paddock against Wolves and Ritchie got a hat trick. Think he got another hat trick in the next game too.

Not seen a striker like him since in a Latics shirt.

Top player.

Went to school with his son Gregg, who didn't like football much in a supporting sense but did enjoy playing. Always tried a bit harder when Andy came to watch us play for school especially as he was manager at the time!

Was in the exec box (Latics Review competition win!) for the Coventry game mentioned earlier and had my picture taken with him after the game. Still got it on my shelf now.

Favourite memory is getting soaked in the Lookers paddock against Wolves and Ritchie got a hat trick. Think he got another hat trick in the next game too.

Not seen a striker like him since in a Latics shirt.

know andy quite well for about 12 years now, he was the first to come and see me in hospital after my wigan experiment and always the first to volunteer for charidee do's, have a picture somewhere of him and the mcnivens trying to fiddle the pool table in the sportsmans from a couple of years back, we had a copy of the fa cup you see and they all wanted a picture with it. Lots of stories involving Isle of man trips, funnily enough he does'nt like talking about his time at man u which makes him an even better man in my eyes. Quite simply the nicest bloke I have ever met and my favourite all time latics player.

Every moment he spent on the pitch for Latics is a special memory for me. He is quite simply the most gifted and intelligent footballer we have ever had. If I had to single out one moment it would be Birmingham City away in about 1988, it was the first time I had been on an away trip with my mates on a Barlows coach. We won the game 3-1 with (Oooh) Roger Palmer getting a couple and Stitch going on a mazey run beating a few men and smashing it in from the edge of the area, total class. I may have some of the detail wrong here but that how I remember it and it still makes me smile to this day so leave me alone :D