Anyone else going down watching the Mexican legend on Saturday?

dfOAFC

Disagree on every level with Khan being anywhere near this fight - I feel sorry for the likes of Murray who've done miles more than our great Muslim hope to land a dream fight like this, however, forget the politics...........

.......can't wait to see a true boxing and sporting legend in the flesh :grin::grin::grin:

marco-antonio-barrera27.jpg

In the past six months or so the young upstarts have been knocked for a loop by ageing master boxers like Bernard Hopkins, Sugar Shane Mosley and Juan Manuel Marquez. All three master fighters prevailed despite the critics picking them to lose due to their age.

Can Khan beat the trend?

A major difference from those other fights is the style of fighters that were tagged with embarrassing one-sided losses. There was hard-hitting Kelly Pavlik, whirlwind punching Antonio Margarito and punching machine Juan Diaz. However each one was beaten by boxing geniuses.

Barrera easily falls into that same vein.

In his fight against Marquez, if not for sheite refereeing, Barrera could have been the winner of that fight. But any fight that close can go either way. The decision by the judges to rule Marquez the winner was not such an injustice. Barrera gave Marquez the hardest fight he’s had since losing to Manny Pacquiao.

But one major difference is Khan is not a slugger. Sure he has the power to knock a guy senseless but overall he is still a prizefighter who relies on his legs, speed and height to overcome his opponent. Khan is a boxer. After losing in September he's been working out in California honing on his skills he's been sparring with Manny Pacquiao to prepare him for De La Hoya and trained by some geezer who you can rest assured has been changing things defensively that could be exploited by an expert boxer. If Khan wins it will be a win that goes down in British boxing history. Will he win? Likely not ,but here's hoping but either way it should be a tremendous fight.

Disagree on every level with Khan being anywhere near this fight - I feel sorry for the likes of Murray who've done miles more than our great Muslim hope to land a dream fight like this, however, forget the politics...........

.......can't wait to see a true boxing and sporting legend in the flesh :grin::grin::grin:

Well bugger me sideways, not been in t'taproom for a bit as I was on a course last week, I saw Barrera beat Naz in Vegas and had him down for a win in this one too but that Warren has learned his lesson well and although I didn't see the fight from the reports Marco is shot. Still a ring legend but at 35 and after the fights he has had it comes as no surprise.

I like Khan and hope that he is doing what he says and is listening to those around him, the kid is quick and has got some power. All this stuff about him being chinny is a bit of nonsense if you ask me, if anyone takes a decent punch they are down, don't care who they are. Ok, there are exceptions, heard on radio 5 this morning that it is about 15 years since Bruno's last fight, that man could take a punch. In fact, that was his problem, he took a punch too well, if he had dropped a couple of times and taken an 8 he might have been a proper world champ, trouble is he took too much punishment at times and gave the refs no option.

Lewis got caught by Rahman too, Calzaghe has been clipped when sticking the chin out.

Anyway, back to Khan, he might not go all the way but I think he might get a decent career out of boxing now and the Prescott fight will be seen in time as one of the best things to have happened to him.