so.....it's 3pm Saturday 9th August 2008.........

dfOAFC

Yes or No??  

75 members have voted

1. 1. ....would you have taken it???

• Yes
    • No

Taken it yes as I expected we would have been in this position BUT on the evidence, we are capable of much more and I am currently expecting us to finish in 8th which is not what I would have taken

start of season seeing the squad we had assembled and some of the friendly games we played i said automatic,were going for it this season....and the first 7 or so games backed that theory up to the hilt.

so being in the position we are in now is a little hard to take,because i know wholeheartedly that we are better than our current form and position

the only team better than us in this division is leicster,and they have been consistant....we havent lived upto our first 7 games potential and fell away thinking its a cake walk rather than concentrating on doing the simple things right and making draws into wins.

No, I wouldn't take that. Put Scunny in our place and that's the best 6 in this division.

7 and a half league games in and we were flying high, we've been pish since, and only risen to the big teams.

Without wanting to point out the blindingly obvious (as it is in big letters at the bottom of your post) but you have reduced the number of points we will be out of the play-offs by 1. Apparently we will now be 2 points out of the play-offs at 1700 on Sat. Interesting... most people after they make wild predictions, learn their lesson and back down. You are just changing yours. If we win on Sat and Scunny lose, what will be your next prediction ;-)

Even if they win their game in hand, we are so tight with Scunny that over 36 games, there is little to choose between us. What people forget is that, whilst we have been poor for a while now, the points we have gained are over 36 games. Therefore, whilst there have been up to 10 really bad performances, there must have been up to 10 really good performances to make up for it. But hey ho, lets forget about those as they came earlier on and clearly dont count towards out performance OVERALL this season.

People on this board really need to gain a little perspective. All this in fighting and criticising of the management is in no way going to help our cause, merely perpetuate it. Let's get behind the team. There are 10 games left. If we fail (which I dont believe we will) then air your grievances at the end of the season when the inquest should begin... not now.

Rant over

Without wanting to point out the blindingly obvious (as it is in big letters at the bottom of your post) but you have reduced the number of points we will be out of the play-offs by 1. Apparently we will now be 2 points out of the play-offs at 1700 on Sat. Interesting... most people after they make wild predictions, learn their lesson and back down. You are just changing yours. If we win on Sat and Scunny lose, what will be your next prediction ;-)

Even if they win their game in hand, we are so tight with Scunny that over 36 games, there is little to choose between us. What people forget is that, whilst we have been poor for a while now, the points we have gained are over 36 games. Therefore, whilst there have been up to 10 really bad performances, there must have been up to 10 really good performances to make up for it. But hey ho, lets forget about those as they came earlier on and clearly dont count towards out performance OVERALL this season.

People on this board really need to gain a little perspective. All this in fighting and criticising of the management is in no way going to help our cause, merely perpetuate it. Let's get behind the team. There are 10 games left. If we fail (which I dont believe we will) then air your grievances at the end of the season when the inquest should begin... not now.

Rant over

In what way does what gets discussed on here affect the team? As Sheridan has admitted, the players don't even do what he wants, never mind take any notice of us.

In what way does what gets discussed on here affect the team? As Sheridan has admitted, the players don't even do what he wants, never mind take any notice of us.

Through the negativity it perpetuates in the fans that manifests itself with the moans and groans inside BP. Having had the pleasure of being at BP twice in the last week, it was hard work. That wasnt because of the garbage on the pitch but the atmosphere. We lost 5-0 at Hereford this year but as a day out and sing song it was one of the better days.

Through the negativity it perpetuates in the fans that manifests itself with the moans and groans inside BP. Having had the pleasure of being at BP twice in the last week, it was hard work. That wasnt because of the garbage on the pitch but the atmosphere. We lost 5-0 at Hereford this year but as a day out and sing song it was one of the better days.

but its a two way thing isnt it

give the fans something to sing about on the pitch and they will and help the team..

saturday as soon as hazell gave away the goal most of the chaddy started singing encouragement and the like,only to give up 5 mins later when it became abundantly clear they hadnt a clue what they were doing.

So what was behind all the moans and groans heard inside BP (and every other football ground) in the decades before the internet existed?

We shouldn't overestimate the influence of boards like this. Half of what goes on them is barely even readable.

So what was behind all the moans and groans heard inside BP (and every other football ground) in the decades before the internet existed?

We shouldn't overestimate the influence of boards like this. Half of what goes on them is barely even readable.

I am not saying that messageboards like this are the sole reason. However, the more people moan, the more negative people attitudes and behaviours become. The extrapolation of this is the way most people behave at BP... on the edge of their seat waiting for the first mistake. I appreciate it is a two way thing... of course it is. However, even though we are still top 6 (and let us not forget that) people are going to BP with the mentality of supporting a team who have been cut adrift at the bottom of the league.

As a final point, the only reason I pick on a message board like this is because it is the modern medium of communication. Picking on the site and saying "It didnt exist two years ago and so what happened before then" is, in my opinion, a weak argument. People still communicated just in different ways. In addition, it was difficult to reach out to such a wide group of Oldham fans and have views perpetuate themselves. Therefore, one persons opinion, when well argued, can influence a wider group of people. The negative messaging on here impacts way more people than it will have done previously. Previously, we would probably influence the opinion of a few friends, the pub landlord and anyone who could hear. This takes longer than someone putting their opinion on here. That is why, I believe, a messageboard like this, and the amount of negativity on it, can be very detrimental to the attitude of supporters and their behaviour at matches. This then manifests itself in moans, groans and poor team performances.

I am not saying that messageboards like this are the sole reason. However, the more people moan, the more negative people attitudes and behaviours become. The extrapolation of this is the way most people behave at BP... on the edge of their seat waiting for the first mistake. I appreciate it is a two way thing... of course it is. However, even though we are still top 6 (and let us not forget that) people are going to BP with the mentality of supporting a team who have been cut adrift at the bottom of the league.

As a final point, the only reason I pick on a message board like this is because it is the modern medium of communication. Picking on the site and saying "It didnt exist two years ago and so what happened before then" is, in my opinion, a weak argument. People still communicated just in different ways. In addition, it was difficult to reach out to such a wide group of Oldham fans and have views perpetuate themselves. Therefore, one persons opinion, when well argued, can influence a wider group of people. The negative messaging on here impacts way more people than it will have done previously. Previously, we would probably influence the opinion of a few friends, the pub landlord and anyone who could hear. This takes longer than someone putting their opinion on here. That is why, I believe, a messageboard like this, and the amount of negativity on it, can be very detrimental to the attitude of supporters and their behaviour at matches. This then manifests itself in moans, groans and poor team performances.

Perhaps it would be better all round, and not just for football, if people withdrew all views and opinions from the public sphere.

Perhaps it would be better all round, and not just for football, if people withdrew all views and opinions from the public sphere.

Perhaps in future you could read what you are responding to before you post. However, it is always fun when people use that line. It tends to be used when people cannot reason their opinion or are unsure of the way forward in a debate (which requires two opposing opinions - thats why it is so great!!!).

In no way did I say or imply that. I merely suggested that an opinion on here, with modern communication, influences more people than it would have done before the medium existed. You never know though, all those technology gurus and people may be wrong. The internet is not a place where information gets shared more readily and more widely. Alas, the information revolution is over. What, with this and the potential collapse of manufacturing, we best start divvying up the land again and starting fromm scratch. All hail feudalism!!

(Sorry did I go a bit far and take your comment and make something out that wasnt there? I'm not sure where I have seen that before....)

Perhaps in future you could read what you are responding to before you post. However, it is always fun when people use that line. It tends to be used when people cannot reason their opinion or are unsure of the way forward in a debate (which requires two opposing opinions - thats why it is so great!!!).

In no way did I say or imply that. I merely suggested that an opinion on here, with modern communication, influences more people than it would have done before the medium existed. You never know though, all those technology gurus and people may be wrong. The internet is not a place where information gets shared more readily and more widely. Alas, the information revolution is over. What, with this and the potential collapse of manufacturing, we best start divvying up the land again and starting fromm scratch. All hail feudalism!!

(Sorry did I go a bit far and take your comment and make something out that wasnt there? I'm not sure where I have seen that before....)

Okay. I accept that all the old moaners in the Main Stand are moaning more loudly than they were doing thirty and forty years ago due to the advent of the internet, and that the players are responding more negatively than George McVitie and Maurice Whittle might have done.

Okay. I accept that all the old moaners in the Main Stand are moaning more loudly than they were doing thirty and forty years ago due to the advent of the internet, and that the players are responding more negatively than George McVitie and Maurice Whittle might have done.

Again... taking a post and making something out of it that wasnt there. What happened to good and reasoned debate. It seems to have died a sorry death in some places.