The OWTB Twitter Thread

boboafc

just heard about twitter on key 103 ,anyone on it and whats it about ? i heard you just write down what you are doing etc? is it a poor copy of facebook/my space?

It's like the status aspect of Facbook alone. It's a strange one. I've seen it have excellent aplication and I've seen it be abused by people like Stephen Fry who just gibbers on about :censored:e no one cares about really.

I had an account for a while, gave up and have just given it a second chance now there is a more people using it. But I'm not sure how long I'll last to be honest.

shouldnt that be "twitters"?

It's actually tweets if you're going to be picky! :lol:

I wouldn't say it was a poor facebook. It's not really for the same thing. The original idea of Twitter quickly distorted into a very useful tool. Whereby if you have a big enough social net using it then you can easily develop an organic network system.

Whereby if I went to the pub I could quickly tweet using my phone to say I was there... then if you happened to be in the area you would see this and could drop by for a pint. No formal "i'll be here at 8, meet me" type things... it enables spontaneous meetups. How often will you speak to a mate and say "oh, I was there, you should have said..."?

The problem for me is that I don't know enough people who use it plus it's now being superseded by applications such as Friends On Fire which launched Beta testing this afternoon from SXSW and goes further by including geotags in your posts so that people can see exactly where you are.

It's one of those things that until you know enough people using it it's useless and then no one uses it because they don't know anyone using it... see?

its crap. a poor mans face book

It's :censored: if you don't know how to embrace it.

I like it. Essentially, it's just jotting down your thoughts over a period of time in a series of mini-blogs (less than 60 characters). And you follow other people be it friends, or celebrities (Charlie Brooker, Stephen Fry, Dave Gorman, Robert Llewellyn are on mine) so you can 'see' their day-to-day thoughts (or in the case of Fry, minute to minute thoughts). Also, the Barcelona Music Festival has a twitter feed and I got all the bands as they were announced on the day. Brilliant (for me, and anyone else going to Primavera Sound that is!)

It's certainly not for everyone, but I find it quite useful for feeds of news. Once you get going. And it's fun to read back what your thoughts were a few months or even years ago (if you use it for so long). Sorta documenting yer thoughts.

Ha! Christopher Walken's Twitter feed gives me TEH LOLZ on a daily basis. Hee.

http://twitter.com/cwalken

Is it really him though? That's the problem with these things isn't it - it's too easy for some crazy who wants to be someone they're not to get on there and say :censored:. We've had the problem on here of people abusing their anonymity to deliberately mislead people and there's nothing you can do but be vigilant for it happening again.

On a lighter note - how awesome would a Hunter S Thompson Twitter feed have been!? That guy could spout top quality crazy. Make Walken look top class normal! Shame he buggered off before it came about. Crazy old fool.

Is it really him though? That's the problem with these things isn't it - it's too easy for some crazy who wants to be someone they're not to get on there and say :censored:.

Yeah, it's him. There's a website somewhere which verifies whether celebrities are real but I've lost the link. I also think it's a god idea to look at the followers too... if anyone has an inkling that something's not as it seems they'll probably not have something like 100,000 followers.

This bit of textbook hypocrasy from Stan Collymore a few weeks ago on my feed made me giggle too...

stanc.jpg

Yeah, it's him. There's a website somewhere which verifies whether celebrities are real but I've lost the link. I also think it's a god idea to look at the followers too... if anyone has an inkling that something's not as it seems they'll probably not have something like 100,000 followers.

This bit of textbook hypocrasy from Stan Collymore a few weeks ago on my feed made me giggle too...

stanc.jpg

Give over. 'Ryan Giggs' (which just happens to be the name of someone my ex knows) gets hundreds of friend requests every day based on no evidence what so ever...

I'm telling you I could set up a dead celebrity posting and they'd still get thousands of followers!

Give over. 'Ryan Giggs' (which just happens to be the name of someone my ex knows) gets hundreds of friend requests every day based on no evidence what so ever...

I'm telling you I could set up a dead celebrity posting and they'd still get thousands of followers!

Yeah, it was a bit of a generalisation I agree. I guess you don't truly know, but I know that for someone to 'pretend' to be someone else then they'd have to know an awful lot about them to write what they're 'pretending' to do every day. I mean, people flocking over to latch onto "Ryan Giggs" really ought to be able to tell it ain't him after seeing his twitter postings, right?*

Anyway, the people I tend to add (Not Stan, I dropped him after I kept getting 'spammed' for his radio show) are mainly comedians and it's harder to 'fake' them I guess.

* Of course if he ain't tweeted anything, he's not worth following in any case

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Yeah, it was a bit of a generalisation I agree. I guess you don't truly know, but I know that for someone to 'pretend' to be someone else then they'd have to know an awful lot about them to write what they're 'pretending' to do every day. I mean, people flocking over to latch onto "Ryan Giggs" really ought to be able to tell it ain't him after seeing his twitter postings, right?*

Anyway, the people I tend to add (Not Stan, I dropped him after I kept getting 'spammed' for his radio show) are mainly comedians and it's harder to 'fake' them I guess.

* Of course if he ain't tweeted anything, he's not worth following in any case

Yeah - I know what you mean. I'm just saying that there are people out there with nothing better to do than find websites and pretend to be people (or multiple people) they're not - just to get their rocks off.

It's sad but true. Some people - like me and you - see it for what it is. Whilst others fall for it hook-line-and-sinker and one day end up knocking one out to a 50 year old man they think is a 20 year old girl!!

Ps. I think I might give up on Fry - he's getting on my tits now - he posts some awful drivel!!

Personally don't mind Twitter. Fun site. Can certainly tell Facebook are being threatened by Twitters take off in last few months as its primarily the reason for their new recent redisgn to try and make it more twitter like.

As for the well known people on there, some are fakes obviously, but many are real. The ones that are real are generally validated on a site called http://valebrity.com/ , who contact agents and so on to confirm their presence.

Also come accross a few other football fans on there and now i have the blackberry and can use this for free, its great to be updated on football scores :)

It's actually tweets if you're going to be picky! :lol:

I wouldn't say it was a poor facebook. It's not really for the same thing. The original idea of Twitter quickly distorted into a very useful tool. Whereby if you have a big enough social net using it then you can easily develop an organic network system.

Whereby if I went to the pub I could quickly tweet using my phone to say I was there... then if you happened to be in the area you would see this and could drop by for a pint. No formal "i'll be here at 8, meet me" type things... it enables spontaneous meetups. How often will you speak to a mate and say "oh, I was there, you should have said..."?

The problem for me is that I don't know enough people who use it plus it's now being superseded by applications such as Friends On Fire which launched Beta testing this afternoon from SXSW and goes further by including geotags in your posts so that people can see exactly where you are.

It's one of those things that until you know enough people using it it's useless and then no one uses it because they don't know anyone using it... see?

I agree with that. When I first started on Twitter and had hardly any followers it was quite rubbish so I gave up on it. You definitely need to have a group of followers or know people on it in general for it to be worthwhile. But as for facebook trying to redisgn its nonsense. facebook has gone crapper since this redesign and should stcik to how they was. I find them both good sites because they are both unique in their own sense. I tend to use facebook for people I know, but as for Twitter anybody who has an interest in what you 'tweet' follow you.

Its got alot of public interest since Jonathan Ross used it alot during his suspension from BBC, where he would post updates and also the likes of Stephen Fry etc.

You do get a fair few sad individuals who fall hook line and sinker for the well known fakes, and i have no sympathy for them because those profiles are blatantly obvious. They usually get outed and deleted once found too.

Only problem i have on it are the spam profiles who now add me saying about free laptops. Now those are annoying!

OWTB now has an account (well, has for a while - we just forgot about it!) so search for that! :D

No worries I will do. I do plug OWTB on mine of course through the website linkage on the profile :)

EDIT: Found it :)

Edited by ste1987

rubbish..

its bloody great for spamming! B)

It's good in its own way, particularly for bands and artists I think. But for general communication it's shoddy in the extreme, and because everyone has loads of control in how to build their page means a lot of pages you come across either look horrid, clunky, crash your computer or all three. I've got a page for my clubnight but getting people added to it seems too much of a daunting task.

Comparing all three; Facebook, Twitter and MySpace is a waste of time anyway.

Any other OWTB users use Twitter? Would be nice to follow some latics fans rather than refollowing people who opt to follow me for whatever reason! :wink:

I'm Wheatabeat in Twitter by the way.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly