Trotters debut for Colchester

Unfit, just back from injury, not what we needed, right?

Different Gravy!

Was absolutely outstanding. Best centre half I have seen for a while. He did not lose a single header!

Yeah, listening to it on the radio he sounded a rock in the defence.

Paul Lambert was sayin how good he is in the EADT after the game :-

“I thought Neal Trotman (Preston loanee) was excellent on his debut. In fact, that was just about the best debut I have seen. Neal is a centre-half who will head a kitchen sink if it comes into the box!

“Give me a million pounds and I will sign him. But I guess we have just got him for eight or so matches.

“I thought we were exceptional,”

Love the bit about the kitchen sink!!!

yep outstanding

Was brilliant today. Was so dominant in the air.

Quality centre half!

Heading machine, be very pleased if we sign him fully (doubt that though)

Thought he really kept us in it.

yup looked very good today

when the CUSA MOM sheet came round on my coach today all the way down the first place list was neal trotman... shows what the majority of fans thought of him.

shame we didnt get the win though!!

I sat behind his mother, sister, probably his girl friend and his twin brother. Super people who lived every moment of the game. He has a three year contract at Preston so would cost a fortune unless Preston get into the Premiership in which case they would probably look to buy in key experience and he might become available.

Many more displays like today and a Championship club or two would be after him so lets enjoy the spell he's with us. There was a lot of hype about Connolly but this lad was well above anything Connolly displayed when he was with us.

Great news , heard a few things from a preston fan which convinced me he was a good player.

Agree with the person who said he didnt lose a header - his footwork wasnt too bad either when required. Didnt shirk a tackle!

Everyone is entitled to make one mistake DL, and that really was the only one. Great display by the lad

Dont think we have a chance of signing him. The word from my PNE is he just coming back from injury, needs to get first team games under his belt. Has'nt featured in the first team much and the reserves are the reserves! When he goes back to the North he will be prepared for for their back line.

Source: http://forum.cu-fcchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4472

Given some of the stick those in charge received for signing "unfit" players I can see why we didn't get him in. However the kid would of sured up the backline and i'm gutted we didn't gamble on him.

It would have been a very calculated gamble knowing how much ability the guy has, as StitchKTF implied, he wouldn't be any worse than Hines.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Given some of the stick those in charge received for signing "unfit" players I can see why we didn't get him in. However the kid would of sured up the backline and i'm gutted we didn't gamble on him.

That's to say we were even interested in bringing him back. Rubes is back next week anyways. Hopefully he'll be back to his best.

Lets just hope he continues to do the business for col u against some of the teams around us.

Probably a bit late for them to make a run for the play-offs, but don't rule it out. In the same way it isn't yet over for Latics.

Edited by opinions4u

trotman is a quality centre back,

im intersested to know whos everyones best Central Defenders ( Recent Times ) ?

mine would be

trotters and rubes

:)

(32 year old) Gregan & Hall.

Hill and Trotters didn't quite play enough games and Rubes, despite his consistancy, just isn't as good as these 4.

Lambert lauds 'colossal' Trotman

Colchester United boss Paul Lambert described Neal Trotman's debut for the club as one of the best he has seen.

The 21-year-old Preston central defender made his first U's start after joining on a month's loan in their 1-1 draw with Leicester on Saturday.

Lambert told BBC Essex: "I thought he was colossal, it's as good a debut as you'll see, he was absolutely terrific.

"He was like Bobo Balde who I used to play with, he headed everything in sight and was brilliant in both boxes."

The Leicester game was Trotman's first professional match in 10 months but the youngster said he had few concerns about going straight into their starting line-up.

"I think it's all mental really, if you prepare yourself right for the game then you can do it," he said.

"I've been eager to get back and obviously thought I'd be out for the rest of the season, but I've worked hard to get the opportunity to play and I'll try to make the most of it."

• 2 months later...