I think there are a number of things to consider when it comes to Joe Royle, and the point Diego is making stands up to it.

1) It certainly seems (if rumours are to be believed) that Joe takes no nonsense on the training ground.

2) Joe Royle's public comments regarding players appear to be encouraging and positive.

3) Joe hasn't yet worked out what works best from the players available.

4) Assuming he stays, I think this football club will perform better next season than this, even if budgets are smaller.

Point (3) is key. I'm hoping we stumble across something unexpectedly wonderful while he goes through a spell of experimentation.

Would agree with all four points. Spot on.

But DS was commenting on Joe's judgement - and he's not judged anything yet about Taylor, just passed on his current opinion. Your Point 3.

When it comes to judgement of professional players then I couldn't agree that he knows less than a fan.

BTW I'm not convinced either about Taylor as a striker yet but would defer to Joe's eventual judgement.

Joe does have a record of playing people in different roles and getting a lot out of them - Marshall, Halle, Irwin spring to mind

Edited by LaticsPete

When it comes to judgement of professional players then I couldn't agree that he knows less than a fan.

BTW I'm not convinced either about Taylor as a striker yet but would defer to Joe's eventual judgement.

If Joe decides eventually that Taylor is better on the wing than as a striker, will you accept that his judgement is the same as that of rosa and yourself?

If Joe decides eventually that Taylor is better on the wing than as a striker, will you accept that his judgement is the same as that of rosa and yourself?

Y E S. That's pretty obvious from what I wrote : -

Still in the dark room?

Edited by LaticsPete

rosa, you've seen a lot more of Taylor than Big Joe has during his short stay and I respect your judgement more than his at the moment.

You shouldn't, i doubt JR lost any money at the weekend backing Gregan to score. But thanks.

We could do a lot worse than sticking Taylor up front till the end of the season but in the long term, it'd be a waste to not play him out wide.

We could do a lot worse than sticking Taylor up front till the end of the season but in the long term, it'd be a waste to not play him out wide.

I'd suggest it's better to run past the centre half with the ball at your feet than it is the fullback, particularly when you can't cross and so often cut inside anyway. He's scored a few with his head too. I thing it's an interesting idea....