Ok, first off his penalty today was pretty awful :grin: but credit where credit is due the past few weeks his performances have been vastly improved, and tbh one of only afew to show any kind of effort! The lad took alot of stick earlier in the season, shame no-ones as quick to comment when he puts in afew good performances!

i did last week :grin: people told me he was crap :mad:

he wasn't great today, more mistakes than anyone else, TWICE giving them very good chances from not clearing it properly, wayward passes all over the place, and i weren't even watching the full 90 minutes ..

Absolute bollocks.

Not perfect, but our best player today.

And I'd give him penalty taking duties permanently.

in the first half he twice duffed clearances up giving them very good chances,, that one where he was near the corner flag and chipped it straight to one of them, and the one where Barrett had that free run and cross, also had numerous balls that went wayward, especially another one in the second half that went out of play near the main stand, not getting on his back and didnt at the game just saying don't think he was anywhere near good today

I'll reply a bit more lucidly now, I was quite, erm, tired last night... :grin:

I'm not going to claim he made no mistakes - the onewhere he tried to play it off their player for a goal kick and just set him up instead being the worst (or funniest depending on your mood). And there were a few wayward hoofs, but no more than anyone else. But overall I thought he had a good game - with four central midfielders on the park, Eardley and Jones were our main attacking threats, and they both put some superb crosses in.

Eardley and Jones were our main attacking threats

Since Shez has gone it`s been good to see Eardley and Jones over-lapping and getting forward. In recent weeks the lack of any out and out RW has given Eardley the license to push forward, and tbh i think he`s done it well.

Ofcourse he made mistakes yesterday, every professional does, but my point was that in recent weeks hes been a much improved player .. if you want to be picky and point out every single misplaced pass or dodgy cross then so be it :sleeping:

Since Shez has gone it`s been good to see Eardley and Jones over-lapping and getting forward. In recent weeks the lack of any out and out RW has given Eardley the license to push forward, and tbh i think he`s done it well.

Ofcourse he made mistakes yesterday, every professional does, but my point was that in recent weeks hes been a much improved player .. if you want to be picky and point out every single misplaced pass or dodgy cross then so be it :sleeping:

Early crosses a lot of the time from him too yesterday - definitely JR's influence.

I am by no means Eardley's biggest fan, but I think he has looked a lot better recently.

And as for the scrote whokeeps shouting "Die Eardley die" in the Chaddy, grow up you idiot.

Yeah, not a bad effort today. Still looks painfully short of confidence, but it is hard to pick out players when the whole team seems to be stuck in a real malaise.

Besides which, I was sat behind a woman who knew his mum - she was texting her during the game and knew all about his brother's circumstances so I took her at her word - and she was saying that he's been in physio all week due to a back problem that he's been carrying for a couple of weeks. If true then it could help explain why he looks less sharp and dynamic than he can...

So why cross in the box to small striker who has no chance when being marked by a tall and physical defender

Because he might take a gamble and try and break free of the defender and knock it in at the near/far post?

Preferable to winning a corner which tends to result in err a cross!

Eardley's crossing was good yesterday. Low ones as well as high ones. Not his fault that neither striker got in to the space that they should have got in to in order to get on the end of it.

So why cross in the box to small striker who has no chance when being marked by a tall and physical defender

It makes me laugh. if you or the other herberts on here can't see that Eardley is the one young playeer with a decent future then you might as well give up. Of course he's still got a lot to learn & his confidence has been knocked by the tossers who abuse him, but he is the only one we're likely to get a decent fee for (apart from Taylor) or will win international caps.

If the Latics boo boys continue to persist then you'll drive all the decent fans away. It does the players no good and it pisses all the other fans off.

Good crosses in but neither striker (3 if you include Wolfy) made the runs necessary to get on the end of them. Players like Ritchie, Palmer, Bunn etc would have been making those runs.

The 3 youngsters will either learn that quickly under Joe or be moved on as not upto the standard. Although to be fair to Smalley he will in all likelyhood be more of a winger in the future/next season.

Get off Eardley's back. It is sickening the constant abuse, one of our more gifted players gets. Sure he makes mistakes, but so for that matter does our other full back, and he does not receive the same abuse (not that he should either.)

The type of ball we have seen played into the box in recent weeks by the full backs is so reminiscent of what we saw in the past from the likes of Irwin. It is clear that this is an instruction from the manager - hard low crosses into the danger area with forwards/midfielders following in to pressure the opposition - If it doesn't come off don't blame the crosser, blame the forwards/midfielders for not being on the end of them.

For me Eardley is the most improved player since JR returned and together with Gregan should be the cornerstone of our defence next season. A new partner for Gregan, a new left back and another keeper (I think Crossley will go as he wants another season as a player and I can't see him settling for a place on the bench) are needed. Hazell has fallen away badly since he got his new contract and looks a pale shade of the player everyone thinks he was. But he has been making mistakes all the way back to the first game of the season against Millwall. Jones is obviously a good player, but I posted back in November that I felt that despite his ability, his signing had strangely unbalanced us and I still believe that is the case. Stam couldn't even make the bench yesterday and it will be a major surprise if he re-signs if JR is manager next season. Lomax I believe will only be retained by JR depending on our final budget and the players he is able to bring in.

Overall, I think we will settle for a slightly smaller squad and for better quality, with the youngsters and occasional loan signing supplementing for injuries etc.

However, unless we receive a bid that is accepted, Eardley will remain as 1st Choice right back and for me quite rightly so.

Regards,

Harry.

P.S. For the kn*b in the Chaddy Row P 70ish you were strangely quiet yesterday. Only heard you twice, both times shouting at Eardley. Though I bet you were still sat down when the penalty went in.