help!

footy68

I have a laptop running vista with comodo anti virus, and i have a major problem. I was updating the comodo and there was an error which has resulted in my not being able to execute any programs, the start menu freezes......pleeeeeaaaaasssssseee help me.....

Roll it back to the last known good backup. If you're not getting any luck...

Reboot in SAFE MODE

Go...

START> type RESTORE in the search field> click on SYSTEM RESTORE>then follow your prompts for the recommended restore

Thanks Matt, it appears to be ok....what doesn't is my Anti virus. It needs updates but the last fault occurs when i try. Should I dump the programme and try to download it again from the beginning?

Roll it back to the last known good backup. If you're not getting any luck...

Reboot in SAFE MODE

Go...

START> type RESTORE in the search field> click on SYSTEM RESTORE>then follow your prompts for the recommended restore

Rummy,

I have a Norton antivirus which I bought and downloaded a while ago (from somebody's advice on here I think). No problems at the mo but when I open Norton it says "You need to set up backup to protect your files from loss and disaster."

I have next to no idea what it's all about but gather I need to save these backup files somewhere. It wants to save it to 'online storage' but that's only 2GB and it needs 12GB.

Do I need to get some cd's to save it? Is this common practice that I should do? Is it to rescue the computer in the event of a major problem?

I would appreciate any advice - I only ask because you often kindly give IT help on here!

Usually a full backup can take masses of space - it takes a snapshot of your system and copies everything on your hard drive.

There is an easier option - BUT IT DOESN'T BACK EVERYTHING UP - however, I have found to my cost in the past that when it all went to :censored: all I really needed was my working files, emails and browser settings -backup your My Documents folder or all of your "working" folders, your emails and your browser profile.

So in my instance I would back up my user profile folder in Vista which contains my Videos, Pictures, and Documents using COMODO backup, and use Mozbackup to backup all of my Thunderbird accounts and emails, plus my browser settings, passwords, and bookmarks. Very important files for me...

I've got my core files all there on two DVD's just in case it all goes to pot.

Again, I'll warn you - this will not recover your system after a disaster, but it will recover your critical working files to your new hard drive.

If you would like to backup your entire system, you would need some external storage medium - like DVD's or external hard drives. Uploading the snapshot to web is another option but there will be a monthly storage cost involved.

Matt, I re-loaded Commodo, and the same fault occurred. It says something to do with a file which windows won't recognise. Not to worry is there another you would recommend? I am a little miffed, i've had no other probs with Comodo....

Funny. Both me and Dave had problems with COMODO antivirus too. Mine freaked on install but was ok in the end, after an imediate reinstall... but Dave's almost destroyed his PC, he had to roll back twice and took two days to get it sorted.

It seems sound, but is a right pain sometimes. If it wasn't for the trouble I was having with AVG I'd go back to be honest.