Sami Hyypia ?

I'v read this in a number of different places over the yeays is there any truth in it?

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/blog/?p=324

No we didn't reject him.

He was on trial with us IIRC during the Sharp reign and the then manager was keen to sign him. He actually received a better offer from another club, again IIRC in Holland from where he moved to Liverpool.

Cheers,

Harry

No we didn't reject him.

He was on trial with us IIRC during the Sharp reign and the then manager was keen to sign him. He actually received a better offer from another club, again IIRC in Holland from where he moved to Liverpool.

Cheers,

Harry

I'm pretty sure we did

I think that what the club told Sharp, but when Sharp met with Hypia at a later date Hypia told Sharp he was told he wasnt wanted

Sharp was interested in Hyypia, but when he was told he didnt have any money to spend on wages he told the board that Hyypia in the end was no better than what he already had.

He left after his trial without an offer.....

Reason 36 why Sharp wasn't the cleverest manager !

As far as i knew it, he was wanted by the manager but the club weren't willing to take the risk spending £100k on him.

i was told sharp told him he wanted and sammi wanted to sign, sharp cleared it with the board that they would do the deal while sharp was on holiday, when he returned he had signed for someone else and the boards just said he wanted to much money.

i was told sharp told him he wanted and sammi wanted to sign, sharp cleared it with the board that they would do the deal while sharp was on holiday, when he returned he had signed for someone else and the boards just said he wanted to much money.

Sharp wouldn't have been on holiday as the trial was in the autumn of 1995. As you say Sharp wanted him, the club said there was no money to take a risk on an unkown despite us banking £1m from Jobbo's sale to Leeds a couple of weeks before. Instead we got Stuart Barlow and Michele Vonk in on loan (who was outstanding before the his loan had to be cut short through injury) - who was just the sort of commanding centre-half we needed. It wasn't until we signed Shaun Garnett in September 1996 that we had an out and out ball winner in the centre of defence, by then though the rot had well in truly set in and relegation was inevitable, given that the sum of our summer transfer dealings in adding to a squad that had narrowly avoided relegation was to lose Chris Makin for sod all and sell Paul Gerrard for £1M to Everton and bring in the soon to be forgotten John Morrow on a free!

Sharp wouldn't have been on holiday as the trial was in the autumn of 1995. As you say Sharp wanted him, the club said there was no money to take a risk on an unkown despite us banking £1m from Jobbo's sale to Leeds a couple of weeks before. Instead we got Stuart Barlow and Michele Vonk in on loan (who was outstanding before the his loan had to be cut short through injury) - who was just the sort of commanding centre-half we needed. It wasn't until we signed Shaun Garnett in September 1996 that we had an out and out ball winner in the centre of defence, by then though the rot had well in truly set in and relegation was inevitable, given that the sum of our summer transfer dealings in adding to a squad that had narrowly avoided relegation was to lose Chris Makin for sod all and sell Paul Gerrard for £1M to Everton and bring in the soon to be forgotten John Morrow on a free!

just what i was told, i think they said it was in his book, i have also seen the same thing written on here

Sharp wouldn't have been on holiday as the trial was in the autumn of 1995. As you say Sharp wanted him, the club said there was no money to take a risk on an unkown despite us banking £1m from Jobbo's sale to Leeds a couple of weeks before. Instead we got Stuart Barlow and Michele Vonk in on loan (who was outstanding before the his loan had to be cut short through injury) - who was just the sort of commanding centre-half we needed.

F**king hell...good choice....maybe the arsehole on the Radio Merseyside phone-in last night who though Moyes should be sacked would like to see Sharp given the job....

I remember hearing an interview with Sammi several years ago after a Merseyside derby & when he was asked about his trial at Latics he stated that Sharp told him he was no better than what we already had & so was no longer pursuing his intrest.

Sammi then went on to say that at every oppurtunity he approches Sharpy & has the last laugh with the immortal words "No better than we already got eh!!!"