Coming Good when it matters

Alex Ferguson calls it squeeky bum time and for the last 3 seasons its where our arses have fallen out like a sunday morning after 15 pints of Guiness and a Vindaloo. Our finishes to seasons haven't been strong enough whether its fitness or a mental issue or if players suddenly start to take their eye of the ball as contract negotiation time comes around.

For me and knowhere was that more apparent than 06-07 where after going 6 points clear of 3rd spot in febuary we struggled to keep hold of 6th in May. While Blackpool had a dazzling finnish to the season and romped home in the play offs. Last season Peterborough while they were pretty good throughout really came to the fore at the end of the season and went from a play off side to an automatic promotion clinching side. After a terrific start again we failed to capitalise on that and fell away badly.

Onto this season with a whole host of new signing coming in we are going to need time to gel (which is starting to sound like a cliche we use every 2 seasons) However suppose we were in the top half come christmas set ourselves up for the 2nd half of the season and try and kick on from there we could easily make the play offs and go into the play offs in form with momentum. This I think is our best chance of any kind success this season because I can't see us starting well due to the turnover in playing staff. While appreciating that its still early to be making predictions and I still expect to see maybe 1 or 2 players still coming in we are getting a little more of an idea of our ability levels. But if we can come good when it matters maybe their is a chance of something?

For me and knowhere was that more apparent than 06-07 where after going 6 points clear of 3rd spot in febuary we struggled to keep hold of 6th in May.

The manager's lack of motivational skills. Wellens getting a 3 match ban for a needless red card.

While Blackpool had a dazzling finnish to the season and romped home in the play offs. Last season Peterborough while they were pretty good throughout really came to the fore at the end of the season and went from a play off side to an automatic promotion clinching side. After a terrific start again we failed to capitalise on that and fell away badly.

Blackpool and Peterborough were better teams. They played with more togetherness.

Onto this season with a whole host of new signing coming in we are going to need time to gel (which is starting to sound like a cliche we use every 2 seasons) However suppose we were in the top half come christmas set ourselves up for the 2nd half of the season and try and kick on from there we could easily make the play offs and go into the play offs in form with momentum.

Mental toughness. I think DP is the kind of manager to instill this.

This I think is our best chance of any kind success this season because I can't see us starting well due to the turnover in playing staff.

I can see the changes made making us start better than the way we finished last season. Most sides will have significant changes. A good pre-season is the key.

While appreciating that its still early to be making predictions and I still expect to see maybe 1 or 2 players still coming in we are getting a little more of an idea of our ability levels. But if we can come good when it matters maybe their is a chance of something?

There is always hope. Without hope, there's no point. The changes made seem right to me.