Jenny McCarthy

Ackey

Further, scientific advancements such as GM crops have enabled us to feed hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people in a significantly more sustainable way than science could ever have predicted.

Science is always the answer. It can be manipulated and misused but that is human nature. We can not control everyone we must live with the wrongs in our world and stand up to them. Support and fight for the freedoms, the advancements and the truth.

Interesting debate. rather digressionary, but, putting my "organic farmer" hat on, I'm 100% against GM foods. Companies like Monsanto (YouTube 'em, you'll be horrified)... are striving to control what the planet eats, and then corner the market. GM food companies are like drug dealers, if you like. They'll make you a product you need, charge you through the nose, and not allow any competition. And they'll stamp on, ruin, or outlaw the heritage arable and vegetable crops, developed through hybridisation/crosspollination, over millenia. And then we'll have to all eat their smack

GM Science is NOT, repeat NOT the answer when it comes to food. It's the biggest bogeyman in the room.[/b]

Right, off to pick peaches.

Cheers, harumph,

KC

Edited by kirinclassic

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting debate. rather digressionary, but, putting my "organic farmer" hat on, I'm 100% against GM foods. Companies like Monsanto (YouTube 'em, you'll be horrified)... are striving to control what the planet eats, and then corner the market. GM food companies are like drug dealers, if you like. They'll make you a product you need, charge you through the nose, and not allow any competition. And they'll stamp on, ruin, or outlaw the heritage arable and vegetable crops, developed through hybridisation/crosspollination, over millenia. And then we'll have to all eat their smack

GM Science is NOT, repeat NOT the answer when it comes to food. It's the biggest bogeyman in the room.[/b]

Right, off to pick peaches.

Cheers, harumph,

KC

Organic food is a sub-division of not wanting medical science or technological advancement - all very well as a personal choice and on a small scale, but if applied across the board will result in a very dramatic resolution to the perceived (but none-existant) problem of over-population. Only, the cutting edge of the population reduction won't be felt in rich Western (or rich Eastern) countries, but among the poorest in the world. Monsanto are the chosen target of the lobbiests, much as they target McDonalds, Nestle, Nike and so on because they are the biggest in the business. The protestors are actually opposed to the whole economic system that puts bread on their table but they like to start with more managable targets.

Organic food is a sub-division of not wanting medical science or technological advancement -.

:shock:

Re-read what you say and put your silly hat on.

Have you ever grown your own food? I'd guess no, (silly you) but would recommend it.

Growing organic food is no sub-division of the advancement of medicine or technology. Growing organic, preserving heritage seed is the best way to save for the future.

But, by buying and eating Monsanto et. al "goods" (you have to buy the chemical set to make sure the seeds grow well) you get their medicine and technology, by eating it. Noice. Meanwhile, their patented crops spunk :censored:e all over foods that have fed us for millenia, and threaten crops like mine, bastardising or outlawing them. Nice "advanement"

You are what you eat. If you and your family want to eat unnatural GM food, and deplete the world of it's (how many years'?) heritage, then tuck in. You'll be the first to go. GM food should have no place on any English table.

Cheers,

KC

:shock:

Re-read what you say and put your silly hat on.

Have you ever grown your own food? I'd guess no, (silly you) but would recommend it.

Growing organic food is no sub-division of the advancement of medicine or technology. Growing organic, preserving heritage seed is the best way to save for the future.

But, by buying and eating Monsanto et. al "goods" (you have to buy the chemical set to make sure the seeds grow well) you get their medicine and technology, by eating it. Noice. Meanwhile, their patented crops spunk :censored:e all over foods that have fed us for millenia, and threaten crops like mine, bastardising or outlawing them. Nice "advanement"

You are what you eat. If you and your family want to eat unnatural GM food, and deplete the world of it's (how many years'?) heritage, then tuck in. You'll be the first to go. GM food should have no place on any English table.

Cheers,

KC

I'm actually quite a foodie - all I've grown myself are herbs and tomatoes, would love the opportunity to do so again. In the main though, what I eat is industrially farmed. Why? Because the lifestyle that I enjoy is made possible by division of labour, and by industrial farming. If everyone in England decided to grow their own food, we would all starve to death - not just for lack of space (although that would plainly get most of us given that most people live in areas without anything like enough arable land to feed themselves, let alone without using efficient farming techniques), but because the amount of time taken would cause the complete collapse of everything else that is required to support us (energy, shoelaces, wireless adaptors, blankets).

I am all for preserving different rare breed animals, apple varieties etc, and I will for example pay the premium for free range chicken if I am cooking for guests rather than myself - but these things will never feed the planet. Heritage is a dicey line of argument - what foodstuff is farmed today that isn't the product of selective breeding? Farmers hundreds of years ago bred the lines of animals and crops that we now see as the ancient ones. Perhaps Monsanto go too far, maybe the future will lie in going far further. Frankenfoods may eventually result in mass produced food that brings back the diverse flavours and variety that is currently lacking from our diets. In any case, it's no more going to go away than the wheel, fire, or...... organised farming taking over from hunter-gathering.