I'm not ridiculing his tenure at all but I just don't think he has the natural skills needed to become a good manager.

Whether he can learn from his experience is open to question as I don't think man management can be taught, however, it might improve with time.

Well I'll say (like my dad) 'by golly' you are coming close to it. 'Just what part of Shez's management was good' seems to say otherwise.

Guest sheridans_world
Right, all I'm saying is that before Windass' arrival it was reported by one of the chairmen of the club in the official programme that we had (I think it was, if not it wasn't far off) the fourth worst budget in the division, which is relegation money when four go down. Not what I think.

Fair Play.

I seem to remember something similar being said early season.

Doesnt add up though...

Right, all I'm saying is that before Windass' arrival it was reported by one of the chairmen of the club in the official programme that we had (I think it was, if not it wasn't far off) the fourth worst budget in the division, which is relegation money when four go down. Not what I think.

I remember Sky Sports harping on about that all the time, but it actually turned out to be false. If I recall correctly, Simon Corney stated on Latics World (around about the same time as the Dean Windass fiasco) that far from having the best budget in the league it was by no means amongst the worst.

If I was John Sheriden (or any manager for that matter) and I could create media speculation that you have the 4th worst budget and still be up the top end of the table challenging for the play-offs, I too would spin that line. It makes you look good.

At the end of the day, Shez had a reasonable budget to work with. Infact, I think (and it is only a guess) that we probably over spent when we got giddy at the prospect of making the play-offs and potentially getting promoted. We brought in Hines, Windass, Ferrira and a few others who's lack of ability or complete no show for us, means their names escape me. The fact remain, at one point last season, we had 6 players on loan and you can only have 5 in a matchday squad. Not to mention all the loan signings that had been and gone before hand, such as Byfield, Omeroed (whatever his name was) and Jones. Add that to Shez's summer signings. O'Grady, Stephens (both money deals), Lee, Fleming, Maher and Whittaker and I can't fathem for one minute that Latics had the 4th worst budget in the league last season.

Edit: How could I forget, Kabba. Such a wonderful use of our resources.

Edited by millsy82

I remember Sky Sports harping on about that all the time, but it actually turned out to be false. If I recall correctly, Simon Corney stated on Latics World (around about the same time as the Dean Windass fiasco) that far from having the best budget in the league it was by no means amongst the worst.

If I was John Sheriden (or any manager for that matter) and I could create media speculation that you have the 4th worst budget and still be up the top end of the table challenging for the play-offs, I too would spin that line. It makes you look good.

At the end of the day, Shez had a reasonable budget to work with. Infact, I think (and it is only a guess) that we probably over spent when we got giddy at the prospect of making the play-offs and potentially getting promoted. We brought in Hines, Windass, Ferrira and a few others who's lack of ability or complete no show for us, means their names escape me. The fact remain, at one point last season, we had 6 players on loan and you can only have 5 in a matchday squad. Not to mention all the loan signings that had been and gone before hand, such as Byfield, Omeroed (whatever his name was) and Jones. Add that to Shez's summer signings. O'Grady, Stephens (both money deals), Lee, Fleming, Maher and Whittaker and I can't fathem for one minute that Latics had the 4th worst budget in the league last season.

Edit: How could I forget, Kabba. Such a wonderful use of our resources.

Yes, Corney said that we were middle of the pack in terms of budget after we got Windass in. Before him, and the other loans we were fourth worst, as stated in the programme at that time. Where the hell the league table of budgets comes from I don't know.

I am firm in the beleif that we miht have had a tight-sih (but I don't believe 4th worst) budget to start with, but that was all agreed before hand. Save some money till the tranfer window opens. It was all part of the plan to bring some quality loanees in as none are avaialbe at the start.

It didn;t work simple as. but the plan would never have been to have the 4th worst ALL season long.

Liek you say, it is impossible to know that ours was exactly 4th worst I would imagine. how can you know. I have trouble finding the exact budgets of colleagues sites (as they hide money in various other cost codes !) within our group at work nevermind any competitors.

Yes, Corney said that we were middle of the pack in terms of budget after we got Windass in. Before him, and the other loans we were fourth worst, as stated in the programme at that time. Where the hell the league table of budgets comes from I don't know.

Which programme was that in then?

As I've mentioned earlier with John Sheriden, the same applies to the owners. If they can turn around and say look what we are capable of achieving with the 4th lowest budget in the league, just imagine what we could do if all you stay away fans came back to the club. It breeds confidence within the club at all levels. I'd love to know how Simon Corney found out other clubs budgets? I mean, if you can find out that infomation then you should know everything else about other clubs, such as team tactics and preperation, which players they are scouting and are intrestead in signing and why, what commerical activities they are doing and have planned. Saying you know how much another clubs budget is, is like me saying I know how much you have in your bank account. I have no idea unless I steal that infomation from you. At the start of last season we made two signings for money (Stephens and O'Grady), plus a number of others on a free transfer, some of whom were apparently on big wages (Maher), that would leave me to believe (as an outsider looking in) that we had nowhere near the 4th worst budget of the season (even at the start). Have you ever thought it could, and IMO probably was, a PR stunt?