Increased Attendances?

Usually when a club gets a new stadium the attendances show a marked improvement, as in the cases of southampton, shrewsbury etc and i would imagine brighton's attendances will soar. Does anyone believe that will happen to us? Knowing how difficult it has been to attract more fans to BP.

Usually when a club gets a new stadium the attendances show a marked improvement, as in the cases of southampton, shrewsbury etc and i would imagine brighton's attendances will soar. Does anyone believe that will happen to us? Knowing how difficult it has been to attract more fans to BP.

It's open to interpretation. Grounds are often built on the back of money. This money often goes into the playing staff also. Which is increasing crowds? Surely, we need to run a regression model on this.

It's open to interpretation. Grounds are often built on the back of money. This money often goes into the playing staff also. Which is increasing crowds? Surely, we need to run a regression model on this.

I reckon they would improve in comparison to if we had stayed at BP, but it also depends on where we are. If we are say in League 2, then I would expect them not to be any higher than now. If we are in the Championship, I expect our crowds will be significantly higher anyway. Personally I think we might have a few more people interested as its a new area anyway.

I think for the first few months, there will be an above average increase due to the nostalga of people wanting to visit the new stadium. The challenge is whether we can keep them and persuade them to return.

Im Not sure about increase in attendances. Look at colchester they got a average attendance last seaon of 5,084. And they are in a ne stadium. What we need when we do move is more advertising of games. Like some clubs have a big advertising board at the side of a main road advertising our next game.

Im Not sure about increase in attendances. Look at colchester they got a average attendance last seaon of 5,084. And they are in a ne stadium. What we need when we do move is more advertising of games. Like some clubs have a big advertising board at the side of a main road advertising our next game.

Don't forget they had just been relegated from the championship where they still only averaged 5,600.

In this division they regularly got 3,000/3500 most weeks.

The last time they were in our division was 2005/6 and they averaged less than 4000 in what was a promotion season, so in relative terms, at 5,084, have actually had an increase of over 25%!!!!

i didnt realise that it was that much of a change. There last three season attendance have been around the same though.

Average Attendance:

2008-2009: 5,084 (League One)

2007-2008: 5,509 (Championship League)

2006-2007: 5,466 (Championship League)

Thats why i said it wouldnt be that much of a change.

Colchester will not average anything like 5000 next season, as those who remained with them after being attracted by higher-level football drift away, leaving only the hardcore support. Some of these will only have stayed due to curiosity about the new stadium anyway.

The answer to the question in the opening post lies in observing the way that those clubs who built new stadiums as part of an overall intention to advance their club's league status usually incresed attendances significiantly. Even when they didn't manage to sustain themselves at the higher level they usually conitinued to play before bigger crowds than they did before the new stadiums were built. Something to do with the continuation of raised hopes and expectations.

On the other hand, those clubs that built new grounds simply because they were needed, but expected to stand still, did not usually increase their attendances significantly (or increase them at all.)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Colchester will not average anything like 5000 next season, as those who remained with them after being attracted by higher-level football drift away, leaving only the hardcore support. Some of these will only have stayed due to curiosity about the new stadium anyway.

The answer to the question in the opening post lies in observing the way that those clubs who built new stadiums as part of an overall intention to advance their club's league status usually incresed attendances significiantly. Even when they didn't manage to sustain themselves at the higher level they usually conitinued to play before bigger crowds than they did before the new stadiums were built. Something to do with the continuation of raised hopes and expectations.

On the other hand, those clubs that built new grounds simply because they were needed, but expected to stand still, did not usually increase their attendances significantly (or increase them at all.)

You mean like Darlington fc :unsure: !!!!

You mean like Darlington fc :unsure: !!!!

We've done Darlington several times over the past few days. Darlington's stadium doesn't reflect realistic ambition, but the megalomania of the chairman they had at the time. He thought they could be bigger than Middlesbrough. It's a bit like thinking we could be bigger than City, and building a 35000 capacity stadium.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

colchesters stadium is crap though, in the middle of no where with nothing anywhere near it, nearest pub is 3 miles or so away..... that ground (and the stewarding there) is a joke so making any comparisons to that ground is a waste of time.

colchesters stadium is crap though, in the middle of no where with nothing anywhere near it, nearest pub is 3 miles or so away..... that ground (and the stewarding there) is a joke so making any comparisons to that ground is a waste of time.

not really, my point was that they still didnt have much increased attendances.

Impossible to say - I'd imagine that the new stadium would be accompanied by some offers to try and attract people in through the doors and to sell the stadium to the people who live locally to where ever it may end up. Got to say too - bit dramatic the whole Bradford - Huddersfield thing isn't it?