Site of proposed new stadium - Pictures

On the way to the Masters yesterday I drove down Mancheter Road to Failsworth and called in at Lancaster Park on Broadway. It took 10 minutes from the roundabout under the flyover near the old Sainsbury's and, after stopping to take some pictures, it took 8 minutes to the bottom of Oldham Road on the edge of Manchester city centre.

It is a very large site and in immaculate condition. There are football pitches, two all-weather plastic pitches and a bowling green. The Listed building on the site is Failsworth Lodge. The nearest houses (approx 17) are about half a mile away.

3756823193_961864f795.jpg

One of the all-weather pitches and Failsworth Lodge.

3756816239_7657b57a27.jpg

Failsworth Lodge, the Grade II Listed Building to be preserved in the prposed development.

Details with the official Listing of Failsworth Lodge on 13th November 1975:

Failsworth Lodge is in the Parish of Failsworth in the District of Oldham. House has JEB 1770 (Captain Birch) on door lintel at the rear. Flemish bond brick with slate roof. Double-depth plan with five bays and three storeys (plus basement) and smaller two-storey wings set back to either side. Stone band at basement level. Modillion eaves cornice and blocking course. Central entrance approached by opposed flights of stone steps has a six-panel door with decorative fanlight and open-pediment on pilasters. Window openings have stone sills, cambered brick arches and C20 casements (although four-pane sashes remain on the ground floor). Obtrusive fire escape stairs in front of wings. Gable chimney stacks and hipped roofs to wings which project at rear. Small two-storey addition to rear which has several blocked windows but others retaining twelve-pane sashes. Interior: ground floor much altered. Dogleg stair with moulded rail and boxed-in balusters. six-panel doors and enriched mantels on upper floors. Formerly a private school said to have been attended by Robert Peel. P. Percival, Failsworth Folk and Failsworth Memories, 1901.

Listing is not a preservation order, preventing change. Listing is an identification stage where buildings are marked and celebrated as having exceptional architectural or historic special interest, before any planning stage which may decide a building's future.

Listing does not freeze a building in time, it simply means that listed building consent must be applied for in order to make any changes to that building which might affect its special interest. Listed buildings can be altered, extended and sometimes even demolished within government planning guidance. The local authority uses listed building consent to make decisions that balance the site's historic significance against other issues such as its function, condition or viability.

3757615784_617493c893.jpg

3756819557_720b78a4e2.jpg

The allotments on adjacent land.

There is a fairly big car park, but if parking is to be allowed at the proposed stadium, I would expect the traffic planners to require all vehicles to turn left when exiting onto Broadway for safety reasons. At the moment you can drive through the gap in the central reservation if wishing to turn right to the traffic lights, but this would be too dangerous with large numbers of vehicles leaving at the same time. Similarly access to the site would have to be limited to vehicles driving in the direction of Chadderton. Of course all this might be irrelevant if the traffic management scheme for the site requires the costruction of new access and egress points. The three traffic surveys should resolve all problems. :wink:

For all those obsessed with the site being "nearer Manchester Town Hall than Oldham Town Hall", after turning onto Oldham Road I drove about 400 yards before seeing the sign welcoming me to Manc. I'm told the site is 3.7 miles from BP and 4 miles from Mumps Bridge.

Manc Town Hall might be nearer than Oldham's, but the latter is near enough for one to get there quickly and show one's arse when the new stadium is officially opened and the dream becomes a reality.

All we need now is assurance that the new development, like the proposed redevelopment of BP, will enable the Club to be self-sufficent, regardless of losing money through the gate.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

its, allegedly, a bit of a walk from there to ground tho

haha

It's not 5 minutes from two stops and they're researching the possibility of a match day stop too.

Of all the arguments against the site the location and connectivity via public transport is the most ridiculous.

i heard that there is a metrolink being built to go from manchester to oldham, would have a stop in failsworth so that would be alot easier for fans to get to and from on match days.

the two nearest stops - dean lane & failsworth are quite a way apart in metrolink terms .. i could quite easily see a stop going in there at the new ground! especially as they could build it ready once they have thrown heavy rail off the line and are doing the works ready for phase 3

now IMHO that would 'help' get extra bodies into the ground on match day ... never had to worry about parking at BP, but it looks a right pain in the arris for those that do!

the two nearest stops - dean lane & failsworth are quite a way apart in metrolink terms .. i could quite easily see a stop going in there at the new ground! especially as they could build it ready once they have thrown heavy rail off the line and are doing the works ready for phase 3

now IMHO that would 'help' get extra bodies into the ground on match day ... never had to worry about parking at BP, but it looks a right pain in the arris for those that do!

And it'd be handy for me to get to my folks place. Put a word in mate! :D

I surprised me that they'll be stations at Werneth and Freehold (although the later is very handy for me), you could walk the distance in a couple of mins.

Given that it is an old AV Roe site, is there not a landing strip that would allow chartered aircraft from Clayton Playing fields to land there? This would allow a really fast tranfer from Sheepfoot Lane.

What with getting to Clayton Playing Fields, parking and check-in time to allow search for potential hijackers or bombers, it would be quicker to catch the bus. :grin:

trains to new moston are more frequent.

Trains to moston station are every half an hour

Once the metro is completed trams to failsworth station should be every 6-12 minutes?

To walk from moston station would be between 20 mins - half an hour,turn right as you come out of the station and follow the road til you get to broadway, another right and the lancaster club will be on your right at the bottom

Once the metro is completed trams to failsworth station should be every 6-12 minutes?

To walk from moston station would be between 20 mins - half an hour,turn right as you come out of the station and follow the road til you get to broadway, another right and the lancaster club will be on your right at the bottom

Failsworth and Deanlane will be the best points for those on the Met:

View Larger Map

Im Talking About New Moston Not Moston.