Another Council Money-Grabbing Scheme!

YAHOO NEWS - Commuters facing £185 'parking tax'

The UK's first tax on parking spaces is expected to be endorsed by the Government.

Commuters could be charged £185 a year to leave cars at work under the scheme, with the sum rising by 2014 to £350 per parking bay for firms with 11 or more.

The plans would be piloted by Nottingham City Council, the first local authority to express an interest in the idea.

The revenue raised will be used to pay for the expansion of the city's tram network which is expected to be given the go-ahead by Transport minister Sadiq Khan.

The council could net £11.3 million a year through the fees.

How long before Oldham Council give this some consideration?

Who are they taxing the companies or the commuters?

I can see a few company car parks having spaces converted into other things forcing only but the chosen few to park theire and the rest fighting for increasingly less space on the streets so they can be broken into and vandalised.

What a fantastc idea!

Who are they taxing the companies or the commuters?

I can see a few company car parks having spaces converted into other things forcing only but the chosen few to park theire and the rest fighting for increasingly less space on the streets so they can be broken into and vandalised.

What a fantastc idea!

The companies!!! And the big ones in Nottingham are looking to relocate.

The companies!!! And the big ones in Nottingham are looking to relocate.

and is it £180 per space? I can't see my employers being too keen on that. Must provide at least 2,000 parking spaces for staff! Crazy, crazy idea.

and is it £180 per space? I can't see my employers being too keen on that. Must provide at least 2,000 parking spaces for staff! Crazy, crazy idea.

Boots the Chemist and Experian are both considering moving out of Nottingham.

But, allegedly a lot of councils are watching Nottingham. No doubt Oldham are one of them.

Boots the Chemist and Experian are both considering moving out of Nottingham.

But, allegedly a lot of councils are watching Nottingham. No doubt Oldham are one of them.

Obviously this is the stick rather than the carrot, but something needs to be done to move people onto public transport. An effective park and ride, with this money poured into the public transport system. Or into more cycling facilities. It needs to be done.

There may well be companies looking to move out of Notts, but they are all looking to do this at all Councils, so they will be no better off in the end.

Sadly, I would bet a penny to the pound that this income will be used to subsidise the council's government funding shortfalls, and in the end will just be a tax on you and I (let's face it, companies will just knock it off your wage or make you pay for your space - or more likely, both).

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Obviously this is the stick rather than the carrot, but something needs to be done to move people onto public transport. An effective park and ride, with this money poured into the public transport system. Or into more cycling facilities. It needs to be done.

There may well be companies looking to move out of Notts, but they are all looking to do this at all Councils, so they will be no better off in the end.

Sadly, I would bet a penny to the pound that this income will be used to subsidise the council's government funding shortfalls, and in the end will just be a tax on you and I (let's face it, companies will just knock it off your wage or make you pay for your space - or more likely, both).

This situation was started by national government not fully committing funds to local tram schemes e.g. GMPTE Metronet and pressurising local authorities to make up the difference in costs, hence the failed congestion charge in Greater Manchester and the parking tax in Nottingham.

Slight tangent from subsidy point, am I right in saying that a report came out recently (my single remaining braincell can't remember) stating that from the money raised from local government taxation 30% feeds the pension pot?

Agree with all that but conversly the big wigs in a company wont care less just add it on expenses.

The nurses in Oldham pay a "tax" like that now for parking at the hospital, they are in my opinion robbed.

Public transport doesnt take into account unsociable hours or need to drop off and collect children on way to/from work. Some people just have to do that.

If your on the late train from Manchester to Mossley you get in just AFTER the last buses serve the area, so they run empty. Or you get a bus walk to station to find they are cancelled yet again. Public Transport clueless and expensive.

Last time my gf and I caught a bus from Mumps to Shaw it cost £5.20 for the 2 of us how can that be justified? Questioned the fare and got a short sharp reply in Polish.

Public transport at the moment, throughout the country generally, is grotty, untimely and overpriced. This is what needs to be sorted, so that people use it. At the moment I wouldn't dream of using the bus to and from work (I've had a brief stint whilst replacing the car, in summer and whilst kids are not on the bus - and erm... NO). Sort out public transport and make it cheap. Then people will use it, certainly in a time of financial uncertainty.

The children being dropped off shouldn't be an issue at all. We've had donkeys years to sort this out and have done nothing (the american yellow bus system seems good enough for me). It's a bit pathetic really. People harp on about the safety issues, but let's face it, by everyone driving their kids to school and dropping them off two deep, they are in effect partly on the way to killing their own kids.

it looks to me as another council that are trying to tax people on stuff they cant live without everyday, they know that companies will have to pay it or staff wont get anywhere to park,

im sure we could end up probably getting it but we have to mention this at election time and see how they stand on it then,

how long will it take before you need to pay some sort of tax to get a licence and be allowed into the town centre?

I wonder if the council will tax itself for the car park spaces it provides for employees?

If Durham is anything to go by, then yes.

If it isn't, then, erm, yes.

NB. And to give an amount. £4 a day. Or for the less well off. Working for free for nigh on an hour. Bring back the works buses.

Edited by OldhamSheridan