Areas in Oldham

When I was young, the small estate on the right as you travel from Hollinwood up Chamber Rd (Just after the bend) was called Little Africa due to the streets all being named after areas of Africa.

Isn't Limeside now called Limehurst village?

Stockfield is an area opposite Chadderton precinct.

Morrisons is built at Bower Fold

Sort of. Maybe the posh bits going off Tandle Hill Road but not much else.

Hanging Chadder is round the top end of Thornham, sort of anywhere the Oldham side of the Turks Head. Unless my childhood memories are playing tricks.

Another name for that neck of the woods is 'Gravelhole'...and near the Puckersley Inn you've got Narrowgate Brow.

Another name for that neck of the woods is 'Gravelhole'...and near the Puckersley Inn you've got Narrowgate Brow.

Never heard that myself, although it makes obvious sense with the old football pitch having been being a massive big gravel hole... Our ancestors sure were inventive, weren't they? :wink:

Never heard that myself, although it makes obvious sense with the old football pitch having been being a massive big gravel hole... Our ancestors sure were inventive, weren't they? :wink:

Check out the name of the Methodist church on Castleton Rd...

Check out the name of the Methodist church on Castleton Rd...

Rings a bell now. It might just be Methodists being contrary though ;) I never called it that even when I was shouting names and throwing stones at horse riders and motorcyclists to get a chase off them from the edges of the pit.

Two of my favourites:

Chadderton Fold is between Chaddy Hall Rd and Healds Green (ie. Church Inn)

Streetbridge is under the A627M (ie.The Horton Arms)

Mills Hill is actually in Middleton

Mills Hill Railway Station lies on the border of Middleton/Chadderton but the address of it is Middleton. However, I have always considered Mills Hill to run from the station up towards Firwood Park encompassing Mills Hill School which is definitely in Chadderton.

A bit off-topic here but I need the help of some fellow Latics fans. I am doing a project on defining different parts of Oldham. What I am trying to establish is how local people refer to the area they live in. While there are maps and Council wards etc., I am not sure that these relate to what local people call their area.

For example, Hill Stores is a well known area (I think) but doesn't appear on the A to Z or as a Council ward. On the other hand, there are places on the A to Z like Hanging Chadder that I've never heard of.

I have come up with the list below. I would be grateful if anyone could help me with it.

Cheers!

Oldham (West and East)

Alt

Bardsley

Barrowshaw

Busk

Clarksfield

Coldhurst

Coppice

Derker

Fitton Hill

Glodwick