I have just read Gazza's autobiography (the one he did with Hunter Davies). I think it's been out for a couple of years but if you haven 't read it, I totally recommend. In turns hilarious (you wonder how the frig we got to the semis of Italia '90 - he makes the tournament sound like an 18-30 holiday) and and totally sobering. A total antidote to the throwaways by the likes of Lampard, Cashley Cole etc.

Anyway, towards the end of the book he mentions how, just after he left Boston United in 2004, he was contacted by new owners of an unnamed club, who asked him if he wanted to take over as possible manager. He says he was keen but it eventually fell through when the owners realised the club's debts were six million, not two as they first thought.

It got me thinking - was this Latics? I think this was around the the time TTA emerged on the scene. Wasn't there a rumour doing the rounds at some stage that Gazza was being linked with us, or am I being daft as a brush myself?

That is very interesting.

Now I think Gazza is great, even though he wasted his talent, but if true it might be a good thing if we were £6m in the red then!!! A lucky escape!

i thought the rumour was he was asked to play for us but his pay would be based on the crowds going up and any other revenue gained form the publicity