Fogive me for being thick....

F.O.B.

....but can somebody please explain how shutting down 'underachieving NHS trusts' will make a difference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8307300.stm

If a trust is shut what are the 'customers' going to do about their healthcare? Will this move not put strain on other trusts in trying to operate on a budget for x amout of people + y amount of 'new' customers?

Edited by F.O.B.

....but can somebody please explain how shutting down 'underachieving NHS trusts' will make a difference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8307300.stm

If a trust is shut what are the 'customers' going to do about their healthcare? Will this move not put strain on other trusts in trying to operate on a budget for x amout of people + y amount of 'new' customers?

“The CQC said it intended to work closely with these 47 trusts to sort out their problems ahead of April next year, when it will gain the power to intervene in every trust, from dealing out admonishments to potentially launching prosecutions and closing services down”

I think it’s similar to what happens with Schools. Give the watchdog power to intervene, place the trust under special measures and close services (rather than the whole trust) as a last resort. I think when they close schools down they normally rebrand them, get new staff and reopen them again. Perhaps the same will apply here.

OK hands up anyone who thinks with a general election coming up- any healthcare trust will be shut down? It won't happen. Some senior managers will get fired- possibly keeping their custy redundancy packages (or forcing the NHS into a costly legal battle for them). I doubt this CQC will do anything more than keep giving kicks up the preverbial. Trust rebranding is a costly exercise and I doubt the senior senior NHS managers will let a trust struggling for Value for money do down that route.

OK hands up anyone who thinks with a general election coming up- any healthcare trust will be shut down? It won't happen. Some senior managers will get fired- possibly keeping their custy redundancy packages (or forcing the NHS into a costly legal battle for them). I doubt this CQC will do anything more than keep giving kicks up the preverbial. Trust rebranding is a costly exercise and I doubt the senior senior NHS managers will let a trust struggling for Value for money do down that route.

Would be a costly exercise but politicians love their reform whether it needs it or not. Their is another article on the Bbc stating that the trust most at risk of being shut down cannot be shut down as it covers a large and remote area and so patients would have to travel very far to get to places.

i don't know, pointless rebranding exercises seem to be what senior NHS managers love spending money on, especially with the move towards 'patient choice' and the idea that hospitals should compete for 'custom'. The hospital i work at's planning on cutting somewhere between 100-300 jobs over the next 5 years because we need to cut £22 million off our budget, but that hasn't stopped them spending thousands on putting up massive signs claiming that we had no MRSA bloodstream infections last year (which i'm not convinced is even true), changing the name of the hospital, setting up a new 'Customer Care Team' (FFS we're a hospital not a branch of Tescos) and the chief exec posting cringeworthy videos on YouTube. had a look at the link on that report for our results, out of the 62 assessments they did we only failed 3, one of which, quelle surprise, was staff satisfaction.

i don't know, pointless rebranding exercises seem to be what senior NHS managers love spending money on, especially with the move towards 'patient choice' and the idea that hospitals should compete for 'custom'. The hospital i work at's planning on cutting somewhere between 100-300 jobs over the next 5 years because we need to cut £22 million off our budget, but that hasn't stopped them spending thousands on putting up massive signs claiming that we had no MRSA bloodstream infections last year (which i'm not convinced is even true), changing the name of the hospital, setting up a new 'Customer Care Team' (FFS we're a hospital not a branch of Tescos) and the chief exec posting cringeworthy videos on YouTube. had a look at the link on that report for our results, out of the 62 assessments they did we only failed 3, one of which, quelle surprise, was staff satisfaction.

they could start by getting rid of all those posts that have zilch impact upon the clinical output of the service...layers upon layers of bureacrats and pen pushers producing reports and strategies... :angry:

most working cushy 9 -5 monday to friday hours... :mad:

they could start by getting rid of all those posts that have zilch impact upon the clinical output of the service...layers upon layers of bureacrats and pen pushers producing reports and strategies... :angry:

most working cushy 9 -5 monday to friday hours... :mad:

I thought that was the GPs?

I thought that was the GPs?

ha...it is these days...although some then top up working for the out of hours service...nice earner if ya get the work.. :blink:

at least GP's contribute to improved health...well more or less most of the time.. B)