Southampton Preview: Pardew "Oldham are a big club" shock disclosure!

Chelsea, Man City, QPR Play Off, Blackpool Play off, Hudders in the cup and Grimsby on Celebration day

These are the only time we have topped 12K in the last 15 years..... 4 of those games attracted 4500 visiting fans and one was a free giveaway.... Not once have we come close to filling it in over 350 league games at BP in this time. All have been cup or Play off games.

Whether or not you think 12K is not big enough i think the stats prove otherwise.... Besides if we ever do make it to the championship and hopefully start selling out week in week out our new stadium is being build with the option to expand.

What about Wigan before they moved stadiums? To develop your point, why didn't they build the JJB with a six thousand capacity as they rarely got above this anyway... If you would have replaced your "Whether or not you think 12K is not big enough i think the stats prove otherwise" with "Whether or not you think 6K (Or even 12K!!) is not big enough i think the stats prove otherwise" in the case of Wigan, and you would have been regarded as having a lack of ambition. This is precisely the point here, what latics crowds have been previously is almost an irrelevance, what matters is the ambition with the move and the expected increases in attendance as a result of the move. A move to a stadium smaller than what BP was, before one quarter of it was demolished, has no ambition whatsover.

We are only as big club as our ambitions will allow and our ambitions have declined steadily gradually without some on here not even noticing.

Edited by slurms mckenzie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Wigan before they moved stadiums? To develop your point, why didn't they build the JJB with a six thousand capacity as they rarely got above this anyway...

"Whether or not you think 12K is not big enough i think the stats prove otherwise" with "Whether or not you think 6K (Or even 12K!!) is not big enough i think the stats prove otherwise" in the case of Wigan, and you would have been regarded as having a lack of ambition. This is precisely the point here, what latics crowds have been previously is almost an irrelevance, what matters is the ambition with the move and the expected increases in attendance as a result of the move. A move to a stadium smaller than what BP was, before one quarter of it was demolished, has no ambition whatsover.

We are only as big club as our ambitions will allow and our ambitions have declined steadily gradually without some on here not even noticing.

Because it was built for sharing with rugby league who did get much bigger crowds?

As an example ....Wigan Rugby League average crowds:1988-89: 14,934

1992-93: 14,754

1993-94: 14,579

1990-91: 14.570

So comparisons with Wigan Athletic are meaningless.

Edited by LaticsPete

Because it was built for sharing with rugby league who did get much bigger crowds?

As an example ....Wigan Rugby League average crowds:1988-89: 14,934

1992-93: 14,754

1993-94: 14,579

1990-91: 14.570

So comparisons with Wigan Athletic are meaningless.

DW has sold the rugby league team and the focus of his ambition was always the football team. Unfortunately, you have missed the point regarding ambition entirely; my statement would have been equally accurate for Huddersfield town who had a poor attendance record, prior to their move to the McAlpine.

Do you think that their supporters would have put up with a proposal to move to a stadium with a smaller capacity than Leeds Road?

Chelsea, Man City, QPR Play Off, Blackpool Play off, Hudders in the cup and Grimsby on Celebration day

These are the only time we have topped 12K in the last 15 years..... 4 of those games attracted 4500 visiting fans and one was a free giveaway.... Not once have we come close to filling it in over 350 league games at BP in this time. All have been cup or Play off games.

Whether or not you think 12K is not big enough i think the stats prove otherwise.... Besides if we ever do make it to the championship and hopefully start selling out week in week out our new stadium is being build with the option to expand.

The option to extend is disingenuous nonsense. The reason why a stadium with a small capacity is being proposed is because the intention is to, at best, emulate Scunthorpe. If you leave aside the fact that the number of minnow clubs flirting with the Championship has probably reached its limit already (Colchester, Scunthorpe, Southend), that means that any flirtation with the Championship of our own is designed to be brief. There will be no extension to any new ground when we are mired in the bottom three and are relegated at the end of our first season up (never mind that there will be no promotion anyway.) There will be no extension to any stadium at Broadway as long as the human race manages to survive.

Aside from that, how many times does it have to be explained that almost no club builds a stadium based on its current average gate?

And what do away fans have to do with anything? Presumably you want to see us play plenty of clubs with large away followings. Or are you subsconsciously sharing in the clubs' thinking that we will not be playing that many big clubs ever again (hence the small capacity)?

I presume, also, you are too young to recall the days when we could, under the right circumstances, attract a lot more than 12000 home fans.

All you are doing in basing everything on the crowds we've averaged in the utterly dismal recent past is sharing in the club's thinking that we are down in the lower divisions forever.

DW has sold the rugby league team and the focus of his ambition was always the football team. Unfortunately, you have missed the point regarding ambition entirely; my statement would have been equally accurate for Huddersfield town who had a poor attendance record, prior to their move to the McAlpine.

Do you think that their supporters would have put up with a proposal to move to a stadium with a smaller capacity than Leeds Road?

But you raised Wigan. Regardless of Whelan being interested in football more, the economic reasons for a ground of the JJB size was the crowds the rugby were getting and could get. They regularly had capacity 18000 gates at Central Park for derbies etc.

Huddersfield is interesting. Although again the rugby crowds are a factor - and the ground was facilitated by investment from the local authority.

I thought Hudds in the cup was about 11½ thousand? Below capacity as I don't think it was a sell out.

CJ - I have a question. Did you go on the march from the Town Hall to BP in support of the planning application?

See-even a fellow nodding dog acknowledges that there were over 12000 in the ground against Huddersfield. But what are you arguing anyway-that just because we haven't managed a certain attendance in the recent dire past, we should never aim to do so again? You might as well say that just because we're crap now we must accept permanent crapness and base all our future actions on being crap.

And haven't I already answered the question about being on the march. Yes, I was on it. But that has nothing to do with anything at all. You remind me of those who say you have no right to complain about government decisions if you didn't vote.

But you raised Wigan. Regardless of Whelan being interested in football more, the economic reasons for a ground of the JJB size was the crowds the rugby were getting and could get. They regularly had capacity 18000 gates at Central Park for derbies etc.

Huddersfield is interesting. Although again the rugby crowds are a factor - and the ground was facilitated by investment from the local authority.

As ever, Bolton is a more valid comparison.

You might point to their admittedly larger (but not vastly so) fanbase, but they built a stadium with a 27000 capcity. Few people would realistically expect Latics to do that; they have simply asked why we had the overnight lopping off of a full quarter of the proposed 16000 capacity of the BP redevelopment.

It can only be due to a downscaling of ambtions.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

See-even a fellow nodding dog acknowledges that there were over 12000 in the ground against Huddersfield. But what are you arguing anyway-that just because we haven't managed a certain attendance in the recent dire past, we should never aim to do so again? You might as well say that just because we're crap now we must accept permanent crapness and base all our future actions on being crap.

And haven't I already answered the question about being on the march. Yes, I was on it. But that has nothing to do with anything at all. You remind me of those who say you have no right to complain about government decisions if you didn't vote.

I am just interested in why you went on the march.

I am just interested in why you went on the march.

Why? Should I have had a different reason than that of everybody else, or something?

I went for the same reason that you presumably did-I was alarmed at the implications of the council's rejection of the BP redevelopment plan.

I still don't see what it has to do with what's being discussed right now, however.

The option to extend is disingenuous nonsense. The reason why a stadium with a small capacity is being proposed is because the intention is to, at best, emulate Scunthorpe. If you leave aside the fact that the number of minnow clubs flirting with the Championship has probably reached its limit already (Colchester, Scunthorpe, Southend), that means that any flirtation with the Championship of our own is designed to be brief. There will be no extension to any new ground when we are mired in the bottom three and are relegated at the end of our first season up (never mind that there will be no promotion anyway.) There will be no extension to any stadium at Broadway as long as the human race manages to survive.

Aside from that, how many times does it have to be explained that almost no club builds a stadium based on its current average gate?

And what do away fans have to do with anything? Presumably you want to see us play plenty of clubs with large away followings. Or are you subsconsciously sharing in the clubs' thinking that we will not be playing that many big clubs ever again (hence the small capacity)?

I presume, also, you are too young to recall the days when we could, under the right circumstances, attract a lot more than 12000 home fans.

All you are doing in basing everything on the crowds we've averaged in the utterly dismal recent past is sharing in the club's thinking that we are down in the lower divisions forever.

Well repeated Corporal - absolutely bang on in my opinion. Also, let's not forget that we lose 5%(?) of the capacity straight off. So that's 11,400.

15k-16k would be much more fitting, if only to try and prevent the mental stigma of us being minnows undoubtedly forming.

Well repeated Corporal - absolutely bang on in my opinion. Also, let's not forget that we lose 5%(?) of the capacity straight off. So that's 11,400.

15k-16k would be much more fitting, if only to try and prevent the mental stigma of us being minnows undoubtedly forming.

Agreed..

100% correct

Hence why a lot of Wigan Rugby league fans hate him...

Of course he's always backed the football team, the rugby element just allowed him to get his own way with the stadium etc. If it appeared he was looking after the interests of both teams nobody would complain. Now he has wht he wanted he's got rid of the preverbial 'mole ' off his back.

Agreed..

Best revise my opinion then hadn't I? :wink:

The comment about avoiding the minnow stigma is pretty key to me. It hardly bodes well for attracting new fans, or the next owner for that matter.

I think the cost of an extra 4000 seats could be justified in terms of club image (ambition?) alone. Unfortunatley it isn't me paying the bill.

I explained on the other thread exactly why this does not stack up...

I read your other thread. So you think we can get up to 19k in the championship? Now i would love to see this happen but I dont see how we would increase our current fan base x 4 with promotion to the Championship.

That sort of crowd puts us on a par with Sheff Weds, Forest, West Brom and Leicester.... Not a chance unless a travelling army of 8000 turn up...

How can we expect to get over 5K more than the likes of Preston, Palace, Watford and QPR

I just dont see it...

I read your other thread. So you think we can get up to 19k in the championship? Now i would love to see this happen but I dont see how we would increase our current fan base x 4 with promotion to the Championship.

That sort of crowd puts us on a par with Sheff Weds, Forest, West Brom and Leicester.... Not a chance unless a travelling army of 8000 turn up...

How can we expect to get over 5K more than the likes of Preston, Palace, Watford and QPR

I just dont see it...

Nobody claims that we'd get an average of 19000 by simply gaining promotion.

The reason a club has a decent-size capacity is so that crowds like that can be accommodated when necessary. For example, when Latics were topping the second-tier and having decent cup runs. Or one-off games such as City or the occasional big cup-tie.

There is no reason why, having firmly established the club in the Championship, we couldn't manage an average in excess of 12000. After all, we've had such an average many times in the past.

Sadly, the proposed capacity for Failsworth indicates that the club believes that those days are gone. Forever.

Edited by Corporal_Jones