Penney Must Go

Before my time Joe joining the club but did he not start off badly? I think he wouldnt have lasted with our current fans.

He had 2 decent seasons then 2 pretty poor from memory - he had to sell the best players. The difference was Latics were in the 2nd division (championship) which was enough to keep people interested eg automatically 3rd round FA cup. Also there were no messageboards.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pity, by the way, that the club's current plans ensure that we'll never get average gates of 14000 again. Or even any gates at all of 14000.

Isn't it?

They may be able to expand? Not saying they will just that its a possibility.

Plus would we have averaged gates like that on modern prices? Isn't football more expensive these days ignoring inflation.

He had 2 decent seasons then 2 pretty poor from memory - he had to sell the best players. The difference was Latics were in the 2nd division (championship) which was enough to keep people interested eg automatically 3rd round FA cup. Also there were no messageboards.

Ah yes I can see why a manager would be given time in the Championship! Although looking at Pboro maybe not these days!

Imagine what it could cost now to assemble even Jimmy Frizzell's 73-74 squad, let alone Joe's promotion team.

Pity, by the way, that the club's current plans ensure that we'll never get average gates of 14000 again. Or even any gates at all of 14000.

Isn't it?

Massive pity but in the absence of a billionaire buy out the town of Oldham will get the type of club it merits on the basis of actual support much as I regret to say it

They may be able to expand? Not saying they will just that its a possibility.

Plus would we have averaged gates like that on modern prices? Isn't football more expensive these days ignoring inflation.

The club will never, ever expand any small stadium at Broadway, because setting the capacity at only 12000 indicates that the aim is sustainability in the lower divisions with, at best, brief Scunthorpe/Colchester-type brushes with the second-tier,* which will not necessitate any expansion.

Think about it. Of our Lancashire town neighbours (and Stockport), all those in the top two divisions have stadiums with almost or more than twice a 12000 capacity. All those in the lower divisions have stadiums holding 12000 or less.

I don't mind having to keep repeating these obvious points.

* Which will not materialise because downgrading your expectations never results in any kind of success. For those two clubs, being in the Championship relegation zone for a short time before being relegated again is actually unprecedented success. For us it isn't.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Massive pity but in the absence of a billionaire buy out the town of Oldham will get the type of club it merits on the basis of actual support much as I regret to say it

Yes-but the vicious circle we're trapped in is that eternal mediocrity, punctuated by false dawns, only reduces support, as we are seeing.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

The club will never, ever expand any small stadium at Broadway, because setting the capacity at only 12000 indicates that the aim is sustainability in the lower divisions with, at best, brief Scunthorpe/Colchester-type brushes with the second-tier,* which will not necessitate any expansion.

Think about it. Of our Lancashire town neighbours (and Stockport), all those in the top two divisions have stadiums with almost or more than twice a 12000 capacity. All those in the lower divisions have stadiums holding 12000 or less.

* Which will not materialise because downgrading your expectations never results in any kind of success. For those two clubs, being in the Championship relegation zone for a short time before being relegated again is actually unprecedented success. For us it isn't.

You tell 'em Corporal. B)

Yes-but the vicious circle we're trapped in is that eternal mediocrity, punctuated by false dawns, only reduces support, as we are seeing.

Agreed and I am finding it more and more difficult to bother keep going to matches. So as things are now in reality either we need a miracle performing manager* or a billionaire buy out. Football's structure these days means a millionaire is laughably poor to drive a football club at any level forward except possibly Man U & Arsenal. The current, rather than eternal medicrity is almost inevitable and the best to be hoped for is as you say a Scunthrpe situation under a competent manager (which I believe DP will turn out to be). It is very depressing for a lifetime Latic but what else can be done

*At interview Joe Royle was apparently told that"Jimmy Frizzell worked miracles, but we are looking for something different"

Agreed and I am finding it more and more difficult to bother keep going to matches. So as things are now in reality either we need a miracle performing manager* or a billionaire buy out. Football's structure these days means a millionaire is laughably poor to drive a football club at any level forward except possibly Man U & Arsenal. The current, rather than eternal medicrity is almost inevitable and the best to be hoped for is as you say a Scunthrpe situation under a competent manager (which I believe DP will turn out to be). It is very depressing for a lifetime Latic but what else can be done

*At interview Joe Royle was apparently told that"Jimmy Frizzell worked miracles, but we are looking for something different"

The result will be that many of those who grew up in the Frizzell/Royle eras will become occasional supporters rather than regulars. It's already happening.

Sad but inevitable. If it becomes more than clear that the club has no greater ambition than to be another Scunthorpe or Colchester it's what I plan to do myself-and that's after 37 years.

How do you know for sure? Ownership will change in the future. Maybe a new stadium will attract richer owners? Maybe someone will see being closer to Manchester as an opportunity?

How do you know for sure? Ownership will change in the future. Maybe a new stadium will attract richer owners? Maybe someone will see being closer to Manchester as an opportunity?

It isn't impossible, but highly unlikely, as a club that sees downscaling as the only way forward is sending out a message (as they like to say nowadays, as if it's done by carrier pidgeon) that potential is limited indeed.

This is the end, beautiful friend...