Penney Must Go

Yep, Penney must go......and sign a couple of new players. I like Penney, here's why.

In the few months he's been here he signed some good players: Abbott, Furman. And then loaned :censored: and Blackman.

He's shown he can turn things around in a match: Colchester.

He's shown we can go away to big teams and get something: Charlton.

We've had some poor results, but we've also suffered rotten luck with injuries. Abbott's out, he's our main striker and his absence is always going to make things difficult for us.

Smalley and Taylor have been injured and both are still not fully fit.

Purdie and Jacobsen have been injured since the start of the season.

Our midfield battler in Worthington is injured too.

Now, we can be critical of Penney for nothing bringing in players to replace them, personally I think we should have another striker and central defender in our squad but Penney is trying to stick to the budget. The realistic result for this season was never promotion, or even playoffs especially with all the big teams in the division this season. We're building, Penney's building. He doesn't want to flood our team with loanees who won't benefit us long term. He's trying to assmeble a team which will be capabable or mounting a playoff push next season, look at our team, at the moment we're getting turned over because of injuries and because some players aren't good enough (Whitaker, not convinced by Holdsworth either and we should have a solid centre back challenging Rubes and Greegs). But give Penney the chance to chop and change the team, he'll find the deadwood and bring in new talent. Asking him to be fired now is silly, we're not even half way through his first season. He's not a clueless manager, that's why I'm not bothered I know the reason we're losing at the moment is because of injuries, when we get our team back together, and sign a couple of new players in January we'll look a much better outfit.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confused ?

I remembermeeting a Brentford fan friend in the summer before Ronnie's firs t full season. He is too cricket mad to keep tag of other football teams business in season so he asked me if I thought we would have enough to stay up. I reeled off the signings and saw his jaw open piece by piece.

This didn't happen to me this summer.

I remembermeeting a Brentford fan friend in the summer before Ronnie's firs t full season. He is too cricket mad to keep tag of other football teams business in season so he asked me if I thought we would have enough to stay up. I reeled off the signings and saw his jaw open piece by piece.

This didn't happen to me this summer.

If you would have done that this summer I would bet good money his grin would have widened piece by piece

Why is it Pennys fault that previous managers with much bigger budgets failed to achieve and thus left him with no budget whatsoever?

If you want to blame anyone for the club today then blame the past amangers, blame the constant swapping of them, and most of all blame the moaning bastards who want it changed every 18 months so another manager can change it all and blow another wedge on "their" team.

Why is it Pennys fault that previous managers with much bigger budgets failed to achieve and thus left him with no budget whatsoever?

If you want to blame anyone for the club today then blame the past amangers, blame the constant swapping of them, and most of all blame the moaning bastards who want it changed every 18 months so another manager can change it all and blow another wedge on "their" team.

erm....shez...

he as manager had by far the biggest budgets afforded to our team in recent years....and didnt have a clue what to do to utilise it correctly...

so mr penny is sadly bearing the brunt of no cash to piss about with because of his predecessors actions or lack of them

in reallity moore should of got another season,he may or may not have got us up,but he deserved another season to see...never miond though eh..the majority got the legend they wanted,lol

face FACTS................

league 2 manager. league 2 support. league 2 ground. BUT northern Prem league owners/board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should be and were much much better then this and i don't mean the glory years. going back some time i remember wilde and stott getting stick but they were much better then the regime in charge now, and by that i mean the owners and the rest of the board. we have now got a cheap manager because we are now a cheap club which is just going in one direction and that is down until the 3 amigos get bored of their toy. the oldham public will support the club but it must first start within BP.

He is. But nobody will 'come good' on a shoestring budget. Permanently being on a shoestring budget is why we're staying where we are or dropping further.

Can't you just leave this one eh? Just people trying to defend the current manager of OUR team against stupid attacks. Nobody sensible is arguing that our budget is high enough to let us demand success, which is after all what you think. We might fluke something when players are all fit, no right to expect it on the budget though. Just piss off if you want to talk about anything other than the manager because there is a sensible discussion going on here.

erm....shez...

he as manager had by far the biggest budgets afforded to our team in recent years....and didnt have a clue what to do to utilise it correctly...

Three play off shouts... Not too bad... He should never have been sacked with 9 games to go...

so mr penny is sadly bearing the brunt of no cash to piss about with because of his predecessors actions or lack of them

I have never been a fan of the Thatcher argument... Penny needs to do a job on the budget he has... Was Shezs budget really that much bigger than Penneys ? Do we even have a clue what the budget is ? All we have heard from the club is that it is "competitive"..

in reallity moore should of got another season,he may or may not have got us up,but he deserved another season to see...never miond though eh..the majority got the legend they wanted,lol

Totally agree... 90% of the people on here where responsible for shez getting the job... I think a lot of the experts on here dont like to admit it though...

Can't you just leave this one eh? Just people trying to defend the current manager of OUR team against stupid attacks. Nobody sensible is arguing that our budget is high enough to let us demand success, which is after all what you think. We might fluke something when players are all fit, no right to expect it on the budget though. Just piss off if you want to talk about anything other than the manager because there is a sensible discussion going on here.

No I can't leave it. Unless you think 'coming good' means merely staying up. And I agreed that Penney is doing his best, didn't I?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Well he did have DW stood behind him with a huge cheque book and :censored: load of ambition... What a terrible comeback :lol:

My point was that regardless of the cash Dave Whelan has, I would bet if you went back to 1998/1999, no wigan fan then, given their history and fanbase, thought getting to the premier league was a realistic goal, let alone staying there for some considerable time.

No I can't leave it. Unless you think 'coming good' means merely staying up. And I agreed that Penney is doing his best, didn't I?

And a striking return to form with your next post. A realistic discussion by fans and you are trying to divert it into your usual.

Well done. We couldn't just once have a discussion about how well or badly the manager is doing, within his own context, could we? Would that hurt? As you often point out, there are dozens of threads, and there are, where you can talk about our ambition to become a club permanently rooted in the lower leagues, as demonstrated by the lack of ambition shown by us building a 12,000 seater stadium whilst most teams in higher divisions build capacities far higher than their regular attendance.

It simply no longer holds water for you to say there are plenty of other threads if you decide to come and toss all over the likes of this which have a clear point when there are several still going with your one-message point. You are trying to grind all football talk down into you unique an miserable blend. Please stop it and leave people to debate pure football matters once in a while.

And a striking return to form with your next post. A realistic discussion by fans and you are trying to divert it into your usual.

Well done. We couldn't just once have a discussion about how well or badly the manager is doing, within his own context, could we? Would that hurt? As you often point out, there are dozens of threads, and there are, where you can talk about our ambition to become a club permanently rooted in the lower leagues, as demonstrated by the lack of ambition shown by us building a 12,000 seater stadium whilst most teams in higher divisions build capacities far higher than their regular attendance.

It simply no longer holds water for you to say there are plenty of other threads if you decide to come and toss all over the likes of this which have a clear point when there are several still going with your one-message point. You are trying to grind all football talk down into you unique an miserable blend. Please stop it and leave people to debate pure football matters once in a while.

I must admit corporal he has a point...