Soooo, rumours quashed or more doubts raised?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to start supporting this, as it clearly is the future of the football club. I'm not saying that if it goes ahead everything is going to be rosy, but I accept that it will give us our best chance of moving the club forward.

It depends on what, having fallen so far and then stagnated for so long, is considered 'moving the club forward.'

Forget the Championship. This isn't even remotely connected to it. There is more chance of Margaret Thatcher having another spell at Number Ten than Latics having another prolonged spell in the second-tier.

I reckon the club and a prominent section of the remaining fans will, in a year or two, be hailing a brave challenge at the fourth division play-offs as evidence of the club moving forward. It will, as always, come to nothing, but at least the club will be 'stable.'

i dont know how much you have read on here since the meeting but,mr corney has mentioned an open invatation for people to meet with him personally,and put there point across regarding his intentions and if hes in it for the money....so all the conspiricy theorists can run along to bp and get it off there chest....or just hide behind there keyboards as usual and peddle more bile and poison....

that is if anybody actually has the bottle to do so...perfect oppertunity for someone like yourself and the corp eh

Get off your high horse and come into the real world.

Anybody can say anything and then find valid reasons for having to go back on their word at a later date. Changing circumstances etc etc.

Some of you are such innocent, credulous creatures. Incapable of learning, it seems.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

A lot of it boils down to weather the we trust the owners. After what happened with Chris Moore, I like most will never trust any owners fully but to date, nothing has happened to suggest we shouldn't take TTA at face value so that's what we have to do.

Apart from the fact that only six months ago or so we were told, in a very short space of time, that the BP redevelopment is still going ahead, that the club is looking at sharing a new stadium with 'another local club,' and is moving to Failsworth, with much of the groundwork already having been done, I'd agree with you.

There's also a matter of 4000 missing seats. Apparently the ambition remains the same despite 16000 being what was required last night but a full one quarter of that deemed unnecessary this morning.

Apart from the fact that only six months ago or so we were told, in a very short space of time, that the BP redevelopment is still going ahead, that the club is looking at sharing a new stadium with 'another local club,' and is moving to Failsworth, with much of the groundwork already having been done, I'd agree with you.

There's also a matter of 4000 missing seats. Apparently the ambition remains the same despite 16000 being what was required last night but a full one quarter of that deemed unnecessary this morning.

Just like the shooter on the grassy knoll.

For all the names you call people who disagree with you are you so thick to understand the 'missing seats' are in the Rocky road end. What is there to misunderstand about that.

This remains my major bugbear too. I'm not actually that arsed about the location, I just fear the minnow stigma that will come with building such a small ground (and, more specifically, that being percieved as minnows would quickly lead to it being an accurate perception).

This remains my major bugbear too. I'm not actually that arsed about the location, I just fear the minnow stigma that will come with building such a small ground (and, more specifically, that being percieved as minnows would quickly lead to it being an accurate perception).

That's just it. The club now regards itself as one of football's minnows and is taking action accordingly.

As a result the club will only get smaller.

We only needed 100 seats last night for an open public meeting to be consulted on the future plans for our football club :disappointed:

Could it be because people knew that attending and asking a question about a project that isn't universally popular can change nothing?

There is always plenty of interest in Latics when things are really taking off on the playing side.

(I posted this on the wrong thread.....it might be more in context here!)

I was chatting to a United supporting mate in the back of a cab a few weeks ago (and he's a proper footy fan to be fair to him, goes home and away, Europe, used to watch Latics occasionally etc) and pointed out the proposed site. Firstly he commended the intention, then he raised an eyebrow at the location, then he said "So what's the capacity to be? 20,000?". I sheepishly muttered 12,000. His response? :goggle:

I'd be so much happier if it could be just 25% more - 15,000. For me, the expense would be worth the better perception, status and subsequent prospects, not to mention the additional revenue it could eventually generate.

(I posted this on the wrong thread.....it might be more in context here!)

I was chatting to a United supporting mate in the back of a cab a few weeks ago (and he's a proper footy fan to be fair to him, goes home and away, Europe, used to watch Latics occasionally etc) and pointed out the proposed site. Firstly he commended the intention, then he raised an eyebrow at the location, then he said "So what's the capacity to be? 20,000?". I sheepishly muttered 12,000. His response? :goggle:

I'd be so much happier if it could be just 25% more - 15,000. For me, the expense would be worth the better perception, status and subsequent prospects, not to mention the additional revenue it could eventually generate.

Generally, i'm in agreement regarding capacity....probably only because i'm old enough to have witnessed the incredible rise in fortunes that saw us sold out every other week during the glory years....but then....i look at Darlington.....quite clearly, they shot for the stars and look at what happened. The general perception is that they are still the small town team they were at Feethams.....only they're stupid to boot!

More realistically, i look at Barnsley....if ever a team were destined to be 'similar' to us in terms of the size of the town, catchment area, two much bigger clubs on the doorstep etc....it's them. Like us, they went up to the hallowed premier league and came tumbling back down again. At least they developed their own traditional ground....but still, even in a division higher than us....they play to a two thirds empty stadium apart from two games a season. Next season, they'll likely get another two with Leeds and Hudds (may lose one with Sheff U)....

Truthfully though, if we manage to get a regular full house at 12,000 and we manage to play at Chamionship level....and both of these things happen in the next 15 years....i'd be absolutely delighted. Chances are, at best we'll get just the second option (and i'll be delighted with that)....so let's get real. There are two options only. The rest is no longer a debate except for those that wish to continue being heard bleating. I'm not happy with Failsworth, nor a limited capacity but as a realist (and one with ears) it's patently obvious that we have only one viable vehicle for change. Bleedin' get behind it!!

Generally, i'm in agreement regarding capacity....probably only because i'm old enough to have witnessed the incredible rise in fortunes that saw us sold out every other week during the glory years....but then....i look at Darlington.....quite clearly, they shot for the stars and look at what happened. The general perception is that they are still the small town team they were at Feethams.....only they're stupid to boot!

More realistically, i look at Barnsley....if ever a team were destined to be 'similar' to us in terms of the size of the town, catchment area, two much bigger clubs on the doorstep etc....it's them. Like us, they went up to the hallowed premier league and came tumbling back down again. At least they developed their own traditional ground....but still, even in a division higher than us....they play to a two thirds empty stadium apart from two games a season. Next season, they'll likely get another two with Leeds and Hudds (may lose one with Sheff U)....

Truthfully though, if we manage to get a regular full house at 12,000 and we manage to play at Chamionship level....and both of these things happen in the next 15 years....i'd be absolutely delighted. Chances are, at best we'll get just the second option (and i'll be delighted with that)....so let's get real. There are two options only. The rest is no longer a debate except for those that wish to continue being heard bleating. I'm not happy with Failsworth, nor a limited capacity but as a realist (and one with ears) it's patently obvious that we have only one viable vehicle for change. Bleedin' get behind it!!

As has been pointed out many times before, it was the actions of a megalomaniac chairman who thought they could be 'bigger than Middlesbrough' that saw Darlington landed with a stadium of that size. A rational board of directors with ambition would have built a 15000 stadium and aimed for the Championship.

As for Barnsley, the ambition inherent in building a 22000 (?) capacity stadium provides the impetus that saw them briefly in the PL, propelled them into the Championship again and sustains their crowds at the current level (some good way above ours.) In contrast, the ambitions embodied in a 12000 capacity stadium reflects the hopeless hand-wringing approach that got us to where we are now, and will ensure that we never play in the second-tier again. In fact we'll be lucky to cling on to this division.

As has been said many times, ground capacity has nothing to do with your average attendance at the time of building your stadium. Almost no club in the entire FL fills their ground every week. It isn't all about how good it looks on telly for two minutes late on a Saturday evening.

There may well be only one option, but I find it extremely difficult to 'get behind' the downscaling of the club.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Interestingly it was said last night, by I think Alan Hardy, that the football league regard us as top of the list in terms of how a club at league one level should be run. Make of that what you will.

I posted about that comment on another thread..... I thought it was Simon Corney but anyway........

The context of that comment was the many clubs (he used the example of Huddersfield and Norwich I think) are propped up by benefactors or worse still owed money to financial institutions. If the benefactors pull their money out (like Chris Moore) or the financial institutions call the debt in, it would put those types of clubs straight into administration.

Latics however live within their means and owe money to nobody except loans from directors......... SC said words to the effect that those debts would never be called in, so we are built on sound foundations unlike many others in League 1.

I posted about that comment on another thread..... I thought it was Simon Corney but anyway........

The context of that comment was the many clubs (he used the example of Huddersfield and Norwich I think) are propped up by benefactors or worse still owed money to financial institutions. If the benefactors pull their money out (like Chris Moore) or the financial institutions call the debt in, it would put those types of clubs straight into administration.

Latics however live within their means and owe money to nobody except loans from directors......... SC said words to the effect that those debts would never be called in, so we are built on sound foundations unlike many others in League 1.

Nowadays, living within your means at this level unfortunately means staying at this level.

Risky as it is, unless you're a big city club temprarily slumming it, it takes a seriously wealthy benefactor, or else living dangerously, to kickstart a club and get it rising through the divisions to where the money is.

The only thing that can save us from eternal mediocrity, and probably further decline, is a root-and-branch reform of the financial structure of the game. How likely is that?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Nowadays, living within your means at this level unfortunately means staying at this level.

Risky as it is, unless you're a big city club temprarily slumming it, it takes a seriously wealthy benefactor, or else living dangerously, to kickstart a club and get it rising through the divisions to where the money is.

The only thing that can save us from eternal mediocrity, and probably further decline, is a root-and-branch reform of the financial structure of the game. How likely is that?

No doubt the game is in a sad state, and I have feared for a longtime that the bottom two divisions will become regoinalised and almost certainly part time.

But after hearing some of the information relayed last night, I do however have confidence that our club is in a better position to survive as a going concern than many. I think we either accept where we are and move forward and try and be the best we can, and for my part I want the club to survive, so this is the path I'm choosing; or as I have posted before we all give up the ghost (pardon the pun) and let the club die.

As I say, I know what I want.