Clipboards outside the ground on Saturday

Alan Hardy pointed out tonight that there will be people with clipboards outside BP on Saturday asking how people got to the game (should be an interesting question for our visitors from the USA :lol: ) this is part of the ongoing planning process to analyse traffic implications for a new Stadium. Alan asked for people to take some time out to answer the questions.

Simon Corney said that they had spoken to Metrolink about having a station built in Failsworth next to the stadium, it is possible but it will be at the cost of the club. When I got the chance to talk to Simon at the end, he told me it would cost £1.2M to build!!!! :shock: But he said if there was demand, i.e. the fans wanted it, or there was a need to serve a gym or retail development on the site they would do it even at that cost, park and ride facilities were even mentioned. I know I intend to look at getting to the game that way..... basically so I can have a beer <_< So if you feel the same, and there is scope in the questionaire, mention you fancy going on the tram :wink:

Simon Corney said that they had spoken to Metrolink about having a station built in Failsworth next to the stadium, it is possible but it will be at the cost of the club. When I got the chance to talk to Simon at the end, he told me it would cost £1.2M to build!!!! :shock: But he said if there was demand, i.e. the fans wanted it, or there was a need to serve a gym or retail development on the site they would do it even at that cost, park and ride facilities were even mentioned. I know I intend to look at getting to the game that way..... basically so I can have a beer <_< So if you feel the same, and there is scope in the questionaire, mention you fancy going on the tram :wink:

A bit cheeky isn't it for Metrolink to ask the club to pay for it themselves? I'm not going to pretend I've looked at maps and know where the ground's going to be...I drive to Oldham anyway when I'm home and all I know is Failsworth is a little bit closer than BP. However, surely if a station were to be built there then it would only be used by football fans somewhere between 23-30 times a year - and for the other approximately 340 days (and including matchdays of course), it would be used by Failsworth residents.

On the flip side, if Metrolink weren't planning on putting a stop there in the first place then I'm sure a stop might pacify some of the locals' opposition - just sounds a tad daft that the club should foot all of the bill. Perhaps Metrolink would be kind enough to give Latics the ticket revenue for tickets to Failsworth...or not.

A bit cheeky isn't it for Metrolink to ask the club to pay for it themselves? I'm not going to pretend I've looked at maps and know where the ground's going to be...I drive to Oldham anyway when I'm home and all I know is Failsworth is a little bit closer than BP. However, surely if a station were to be built there then it would only be used by football fans somewhere between 23-30 times a year - and for the other approximately 340 days (and including matchdays of course), it would be used by Failsworth residents.

On the flip side, if Metrolink weren't planning on putting a stop there in the first place then I'm sure a stop might pacify some of the locals' opposition - just sounds a tad daft that the club should foot all of the bill. Perhaps Metrolink would be kind enough to give Latics the ticket revenue for tickets to Failsworth...or not.

Yeah agreed, I think SC was a bit peeved too, to say the least.

But I think he is hoping that when the other aspects of the whole development are finalized, like if there will be a multiplex for instance, the Failsworth residents might put pressure on the Council/Metrolink to perhaps at least help with funding.

Yeah agreed, I think SC was a bit peeved too, to say the least.

But I think he is hoping that when the other aspects of the whole development are finalized, like if there will be a multiplex for instance, the Failsworth residents might put pressure on the Council/Metrolink to perhaps at least help with funding.

They could always blow up the line at Failsworth. That would scupper the whole line.

Or alternatively use the TA Engineers to build a station for nothing.

Simon Corney said that they had spoken to Metrolink about having a station built in Failsworth next to the stadium, it is possible but it will be at the cost of the club. When I got the chance to talk to Simon at the end, he told me it would cost £1.2M to build!!!! :shock:

£1.2m!!

£1 point 2m?!!?

What are they doing? Recreating Milan's central station?

Would the residents of Failsworth not benefit from a stop and would the (dare I say it) council either pay or meet half way with the club?

residents of failsworth will be getting a stop already,if there using the existing train lines,and hollinwood.i know there is going to be one at block lane chadderton..

maybe a grant could be gained from central or european funds to help with it..

at the end of the day if the new development does have these facilities mentioned,bowling cinema gym etc etc,then its in the clubs interests to push for it as it will bring in the people needed to use them....

plus making it a bit easier for residents of shaw and other parts of oldham to get to the ground

The metro station is still at early stages, it is hoped that the cost can be shared between all concerned.

More information is sort from the metrolink

Thanks Simon, I hope I'm not misquoting or paraphrasing anything you said incorrectly last night, there was a lot to remember!

If I am PM me or something and I'm happy to correct it and take the blame!!

The ground will be about 600 metres from Failsworth Station and about 900 metres from Newton Heath & Moston Station (formerly Dean Lane Station) so is a bit in the middle really, a new Station would indeed be very expensive and I'm not surprised at the figure of Approx. 1.2M mentioned.

Edited by Hometownclub

Alan Hardy pointed out tonight that there will be people with clipboards outside BP on Saturday asking how people got to the game (should be an interesting question for our visitors from the USA :lol: ) this is part of the ongoing planning process to analyse traffic implications for a new Stadium. Alan asked for people to take some time out to answer the questions.

I hope they have a tick box for "I came to the game today by Pogo Stick". I'm ticking that one if they have :lol: