best ever save from a latics keeper

mine has to be a point blank save from jon hallworth from a john wark overhead kick,middlesborough away many moons ago

Hallworth at West Brom

Pogs at QPR

But I still swear Crossley got a finger-tip to Yakubu's late effort which hit the post at Goodison, slow motion sort of proved it and Lard Arse never got the credit for that!

Grant's at Hartlepool was a stunner too

There's three all round performances which stick in my mind, Hallworth at Hillsborough, he was amazing that day and Pogs at Stockport on Easter Monday 2004, (but he also put in similar performances as Bristol City, V City and of course v Bradford)

BUT the performance that will stay with forever was Neville Southall in the Littelwoods Cup replay in November 1988, he was absolute super-human that night, making world-class saves all night and then they nick two late goals to break our hearts and Rhodesy even saves a pen!

Actually there's a few more that stick in my mind for the oppo too:-

Paul Tomlinson on a very windy day at BP in April 1987, because of his heroics it took a late Tony Henry penalty to scrape a 2-2 draw - Tomlinson was immense that day.

Brian Parkin a former Latics keeper having the game of his life in the Championship season, in the ned we got a lucky deflection and went on to win 2-0

Lee Butler the Hull keeper performing miracles in our only home defeat that season.

Martin Taylor in a 2-2 draw v Wycombe in November 1999, performed so well that the Chaddy End was reduced to chanting F-Off Taylor!

Mark Tyler in December 2000 helping Peterborough to a plum third round tie v Chelsea, he stopped everything that night!

Edited by oafcprozac

Hallworth at West Brom

Hallworth at Hillsborough, he was amazing that day

Hallworth was sublime that season. The WBA one, covering 30 yards in no time to reach out a hand and claw the ball past the post. Stood on the terrace behind, I just didn't give him a hope in hell of reaching it but he did.

He also pulled off a brilliant reaction save down at Charlton the same season in a 1-1 draw. I was in the Charlton end that day, behind the goal and the speed in which he stuck a hand out to stop it was phenominal. The Charlton fans just couldn't believe it.

Hallworth was sublime that season. The WBA one, covering 30 yards in no time to reach out a hand and claw the ball past the post. Stood on the terrace behind, I just didn't give him a hope in hell of reaching it but he did.

He also pulled off a brilliant reaction save down at Charlton the same season in a 1-1 draw. I was in the Charlton end that day, behind the goal and the speed in which he stuck a hand out to stop it was phenominal. The Charlton fans just couldn't believe it.

Jon Hallworth at WBA. We can play on mud as well. Never experienced such a collective sharp in-take of breath. I can still picture it. It's almost as if it happened in slow motion, as he arched his back to tip it over - superb save.

I'm off now.

Yeah, it's shown in slow motion on the Championship video. Even though we won the League, we still conceded 53 golas that year - scoring 83, our defence was still pretty average but we had goals all over the pitch. Andy Barlow got player of the season but for me it was Hallworth, certainly his most consistent spell for the club. It was a shame that many fans got on his back after relegation after the mistakes became more and more frequent, particularly his trait for dropping crosses. Still one of my all time favourite Latics keepers after Goram.