If Joe Colbeck can play for Oldham so can I!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How Ironic. You start a thread moaning about a player and then question me for moaning.

You have now gone too far in regards to stopping your caps habit. Capital letters are required at the start of a sentence!

I didnt start this thread. Oh im sorry i forgotten i was in english class.

There's a lot more to come from Smalley, he's still very green.

But the level of ability he's at now far exceeds Colbeck's potential ability.

Thats bollocks, Smalley has shown no signs of development in the last 3 years, I dont understand what makes you think he will suddenly spark into life. As for Colbeck, I've seen him have more good games this season than Smalley has and he may well develop into a better player.

Thats bollocks, Smalley has shown no signs of development in the last 3 years, I dont understand what makes you think he will suddenly spark into life. As for Colbeck, I've seen him have more good games this season than Smalley has and he may well develop into a better player.

why you so against smalley ?

Everyone would agree that he is by far the better player out of the two.

There's a lot more to come from Smalley, he's still very green.

But the level of ability he's at now far exceeds Colbeck's potential ability.

Over 60 starts and overall with sub appearances it is almost 100 appearances and only 9 goals - time for him to step up to the plate. Brooke has already scored twice in no time at all.

Smalley's record

Is he as green as many think?

Made his debut nearly 3 years ago...

Edited by oafcprozac

I don't agree at all. The main problem anyone has with Colbeck is his price tag, Smalley is immune to the boo boys because he is home grown.

Nope its the fact he's out of his depth at our level and many other areas of our team desperately needed strengthening before the right wing position.

Edited by Butter

Not really though, my main problem with colbeck is he is :censored:e.

Colbeck's steadily improved since his first poor month, the problem is that often people can't see beyond that. Once he's in a full-strength team he'll get a bit more freedom. At the moment he's constantly having to move inside for the ball due to our :censored:e midfield, a bit of overlapping from the full-back wouldn't go amiss either...

Edited by oafcprozac

Over 60 starts and overall with sub appearances it is almost 100 appearances and only 9 goals - time for him to step up to the plate. Brooke has already scored twice in no time at all.

Smalley's record

Is he as green as many think?

Made his debut nearly 3 years ago...

He's still 21 in his real full second season as a definite first teamer, which he's mainly been injured for.

Smalley is not a striker, if he was just a striker I'd say, yeah fair do's he's crap like Alessandra, Brooke, Wolfy etc...just release him.

Smalley is a winger, he's got pace and trickery and he can beat a man and he can chip in with goals,.....like yesterday and he's not even at his best! He's still only 21/ I have a feeling once Abbott and Taylor return players like Smalley and Furman will grow in confidence as the team plays better and you'll see these players showing more of their true ability. An on form and fit Deane Smalley is just as effective and dangerous as his counterpart on the other wing Chris Taylor.

I was a Smalley pessimist a while back, but just seeing what he can do to teams when he's playing on the wing, he made me a believer against Stockport last year.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

Colbeck's steadily improved since his first poor month, the problem is that often people can't see beyond that. Once he's in a full-strength team he'll get a bit more freedom. At the meoment he's constantly having to move inside for the ball due to our :censored:e midfield, a bit of overlapping from the full-back wouldn't go amiss either...

Absolutely!!!!

He's still 21 in his real full second season as a definite first teamer, which he's mainly been injured for.

Smalley is not a striker, if he was just a striker I'd say, yeah fair do's he's crap like Alessandra, Brooke, Wolfy etc...just release him.

Smalley is a winger, he's got pace and trickery and he can beat a man and he can chip in with goals,.....like yesterday and he's not even at his best! He's still only 21/ I have a feeling once Abbott and Taylor return players like Smalley and Furman will grow in confidence as the team plays better and you'll see these players showing more of their true ability. An on form and fit Deane Smalley is just as effective and dangerous as his counterpart on the other wing Chris Taylor.

I was a Smalley pessimist a while back, but just seeing what he can do to teams when he's playing on the wing, he made me a believer against Stockport last year.

I want some of whatever your on

SPOT ON :applause1:

That game Vs Stockport showed what a fit and firing & confident Deane Smalley can really do the right wing. Stockport were expecting us to go through Chris Taylor on the left; but it was Smalley who saw more of the ball and TBH he tore strips of both their left back and left midfielder.

For me he is a right winger - but is a very useful back-up striker to have in our squad too. Smalley is still 'green'; it's to be expected as a 21 yr old in L1 he will still be learning the game and he has elements in his game that should be worked on (final delivery for one) but IMO and that of alot of others; Deane is more than worth his spot in the side.

Colbeck's steadily improved since his first poor month, the problem is that often people can't see beyond that. Once he's in a full-strength team he'll get a bit more freedom. At the moment he's constantly having to move inside for the ball due to our :censored:e midfield, a bit of overlapping from the full-back wouldn't go amiss either...

That's the way i see it too - Colbeck is a grafter, who works as hard in his defensive responsibilities as he does on his offensive duties, he has shown over the past month or so that he can put in telling crosses that cause a threat and, although he has rarely hit the target, he isn't afraid to shoot on sight which i see a positive too.

The stumbling block for many is the fact we have paid a fee for him. A poor 1st home game and many have made their mind up on him; these 'fans' are now unwilling to see his improvements or what he offers to the side presently. Colbeck, with the continued improvements he has shown, will IMO become a solid performer in L1 - he wont go higher than that (unlike Deane Smalley i feel) but if we stay in this division this season; then Colbeck will do just fine asa squad player for next season.

Utter drivel once again from some Latics fans.

Smalley - the lad has some ability but is in dire danger of wasting it by showing no improvement year on year. Some guy suggests he can beat a man - tell me once when he has managed that? He cannot cross, and he consistently loses the ball through careless play rather than being tackled. He has got all the physical attributes he needs, some skill and put in about two performances where he has looked like a real prospect. However, that is very little to weigh against the number of times he has looked poor and disinterested.

Colbeck - did anyone go and watch us against Leeds in the league? He put in three excellent crosses within ten minutes and was our best player for the first half. Inconsistent, and needs to work on his decision making, but the abuse and criticism he gets is :censored:e, and the absolute non-entities who spout it should be ashamed of themsleves.

• 4 months later...