season of the decade

season of the decade  

61 members have voted

1. 1. which was the better season?

• 2002/2003
    • 2006/2007

A different one but I'd have voted for the 07-08 season. After an awful start, numerous injuries throughout forced us to lower our expectations and let the kids show us what they can do. We recovered to finish a respectable 8th and had a number of enjoyable (some more so than others) victories along the way.

Away days at Everton and Leeds will live in the memories of many for years to come, as will the way we all got together to march in support of the stadium redevelopment. Add in Hughes's hat-trick at Millwall, Davies's late winner at Tranmere, a seldom-seen away win at Port Vale, Eardley's masterclass at Crewe in the sunshine on the last day, the emergence of Neal Trotman, plus the way our home form picked up dramatically in the 2nd half of the season, I often look back on that season in a positive light. Plus I won a competition to go to the end of season awards do and got to sit next to Chris Taylor :grin:

As someone else said, 06-07 was spoilt by the fact we fell away so badly from February onwards, having looked god-like until then. The way our faultless performances, blitzing almost everyone in our path, heightened our expectations meant that the sudden transition to abject toothlessness was a much bitterer pill to swallow. As for 02-03, I didn't get to too many games that season due to being at uni, but we seemed a much more gutsy, resilient team built around fitness and effort, so I've picked that one.

Now, would anyone like to put forward a case for 05-06? :lol:

It was a better season than what people may seem to think, 3 more win and we would of got a play-off spot

It was a better season than what people may seem to think, 3 more win and we would of got a play-off spot

Instantly forgettable football on the whole, but a couple of bright points such as the 4-1 demolition of Bradford away with a masterclass by Wellens, then subbed after 30-odd minutes! Also the last minute winner against Colchester (who went on to get promotion) by Butcher, but we soon came crashing back down as we got our hopes up by a 0-3 home thumping by future play-off winners Barnsley.

As for recalling the football, the season was one of the worst. Dull, imaginative affairs and horrible defeats against crap opposition.

Instantly forgettable football on the whole, but a couple of bright points such as the 4-1 demolition of Bradford away with a masterclass by Wellens, then subbed after 30-odd minutes! Also the last minute winner against Colchester (who went on to get promotion) by Butcher, but we soon came crashing back down as we got our hopes up by a 0-3 home thumping by future play-off winners Barnsley.

As for recalling the football, the season was one of the worst. Dull, imaginative affairs and horrible defeats against crap opposition.

At least we scored plenty of goals, what I'd give for that squad now and if i'm honest...that manager......

At least we scored plenty of goals, what I'd give for that squad now and if i'm honest...that manager......

Highlights?

First 80 minutes at Swindon

Two in the first three minutes v Chesterfield

4-3 v Bristol City

Three Successive wins over Christmas

Beckett's late, late brace v Gillingham

First Half at Hudds

Hammering Forest 3-0

Bradford away

Butcher's late winner

Beckett's 17 goals from Boxing Day

not that bad at all...

This season's highlight?

Beating the Mongs

and coming back to draw 2-2 v ten men

Edited by oafcprozac

Not as bad as this season.

I was referring to the 07/08 season, 05/06 to me was a wasted opportunity what with the team that we had that season (Wellens, Beckett, Liddell (on form) etc) and the final points total that the promoted sides got (I think it was something like 67 points)

Highlights?

First 80 minutes at Swindon

Two in the first three minutes v Chesterfield

4-3 v Bristol City

Three Successive wins over Christmas

Beckett's late, late brace v Gillingham

First Half at Hudds

Hammering Forest 3-0

Bradford away

Butcher's late winner

Beckett's 17 goals from Boxing Day

not that bad at all...

This season's highlight?

Beating the Mongs

and coming back to draw 2-2 v ten men

Some massive highlights. Nowhere near as bad as everybody would like to believe, a few horror performances aside (two Barnsley games).

Remember the days when we had a striker who would score goals..........I'd have him back now to tell the truth.

Some massive highlights. Nowhere near as bad as everybody would like to believe, a few horror performances aside (two Barnsley games).

Remember the days when we had a striker who would score goals..........I'd have him back now to tell the truth.

Some enjoyable moments there. Much better than this season. In fact, it makes me hate Penney, Gray et al even more!!

Not as bad as this season.

I dunno, this season is fresh in the memory. Moore didn't utilise the squad he had well enough. It was good enough to get into the play-offs, and possibly even got promotion.

Much less of a budget for Penney to work with, and Moore had a couple of players we'd absolutely kill for right now in Beckett and Wellens. Plus the injuries we've had... much, much worse than '05-'06.

There's massive hypocrasy going on when we discuss this, I clearly remember so many fans being anti-Moore right through that season. In fact, the abuse he copped for since he left says it all. I could definitely take a decent guess that 90% or so of our fanbase were glad to see the back of him after he went.

BTW Prozac... that little list of highlights, Only Forest, Bradford and Butcher's late winner really stand out as impressive. The rest, pretty forgettable really (Huddersfield away? You mean the time when we embarrassingly frittered a 2 goal lead away within 10 minutes??). You can come up with BFScum, 2nd half v Colchester and Charlton this season, still a bit to go yet.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly