Whitaker in not a winger, Smalley in not a striker and Colbeck is not a player.

It is an inevitability on a football forum like this that one must get used to reading posts made by people who evidently know absolutely nothing about the game and have either never been to a match and watched it properly or were too p*ssed or cold (or stupid) to concentrate when they were there.

However, you my friend take the biscuit. Every single post you make about football - whether it be tactics or players or both - has me utterly and profoundly baffled.

:unsure:

tbf my problem is that i call a spade a spade

but hey. if you wanna believe colbeck is gonna be the next messi. well who am i to judge you.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

tbf my problem is that i call a spade a spade

but hey. if you wanna believe colbeck is gonna be the next messi. well who am i to judge you.

:grin:

You tell it as you see it, and so you should. It's just that I never agree with anything you say about football. :lol:

Smalley is not being used correctly in this team, I suspect you would see a far different player if he went to Rochdale and that's nothing to do with playing in a league lower, but all about confidence.

To me Smalley is just another one in a long line of youth prospects that have promised so much but have delivered almost nothing. Recently, Allesandra and Wolfie, are two more off the top of my head.

Is it that we play them in the wrong positions or is it that they are really just poor players...I think it's the latter!!!!

People keep raving about how Smalley will one day become a cracking player and that he is a great prospect.....that great prospect is now 21, he's not a kid anymore and I'm sorry but in my opinion he ain't good enough....yes, maybe you would see a better player if he was at Rochdale but they are in a lower league and at a lower standard, Chris O'Grady couldn't hit a barn door in league 1 but can't stop scoring in league 2!!!

I'm sure confidence does come into it to some extent but the old saying 'If you're good enough you're old enough' rings true. Matty Wolfenden made 10 full appearances in 6 years at the club, how much must his development have cost the club in that time....I can't believe we persevered with him as long as we did...he's only made 4 starts in the conference this season for Wrexham!!!

People keep raving about how Smalley will one day become a cracking player and that he is a great prospect.....that great prospect is now 21, he's not a kid anymore and I'm sorry but in my opinion he ain't good enough....yes, maybe you would see a better player if he was at Rochdale but they are in a lower league and at a lower standard, Chris O'Grady couldn't hit a barn door in league 1 but can't stop scoring in league 2!!!

To paraquote Keith Hill, O'Grady brings a lot to the team whilst any goals are a bonus.

I like Smalley but I'm the camp that think he will end up a right winger, though I'm by no means sure. I don't think he's 'intelligent' enough to make a striker. Either way I think it's time he and DP focused on making him one or the other, otherwise he may just end up as neither!

To paraquote Keith Hill, O'Grady brings a lot to the team whilst any goals are a bonus.

I like Smalley but I'm the camp that think he will end up a right winger, though I'm by no means sure. I don't think he's 'intelligent' enough to make a striker. Either way I think it's time he and DP focused on making him one or the other, otherwise he may just end up as neither!

Mate you need more intelligence to be a winger surely? As a winger you often have time to think about what you're going to do, whereas a striker can be instinctive instead.

Got to say didn't want to help this post end up as an anti-Smalley rant. I am mystified as to why he gets touted while Colbeck is slagged off, but I would love to see him iron out flaws in his game and become a player of consequence for us too. If he is going to though it won't be as a winger.

Any level of football requires round pegs in round holes. Colbeck is a winger, that's sorted. Whitaker isn't a winger, that's sorted and Smalley is a ........I don't think he knows yet, never mind the coaching staff. IMO though Smalley won't make a decent lower league centre forward, though with a bit of confidence, run of games and a self improved desire to want to do well for himself, he might be a decent winger.