I wonder at times what people expect from a stadium.

Stadiums cost money. And I would guess unique and impressively designed stadiums cost more money.

- The Shrews new ground has 4 reasonable stands, all without posts.

- Looks as though it has enclosed concourses underneath which will be better to stand in before games and at half time - if you can stand in the (relative) warmth and dry with a few TVs showing Skysports or similar then your likely to spend more cash in the facilities.

- Looks neat and tidy

- Presumably you could construct more seats in the corners in the future to boose capacity if needed

These lack of these at BP is a reason why only the committed are willing to attend - and sometimes not even those anymore.

What in addition to these basic needs to be people want? Yes we could have fancy looking support stuctures ala Huddersfield (or on a grand scale Wembly) which give us a unique look - but at what cost? Another £1m? I'd prefer to have that spent on the team tbh.

Also, its not as though BP is an architectural masterpiece that people have great passion for. Wembley needed something spectacular - but seriously do we?

Wembley Stadium itself is like a family size biscuit tin from Marks and Spencer with a big handle. The thing that sets it apart is its facilities. Spend the money on the facilities and stick them in an identikit stadium with an owl on it, and I'll be happy.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am personally expecting something like Shrewsbury's stadium but only a little bit bigger. Maybe even something like Warrington Wolves RL ground

Halliwell%20Jones%20Panoramic.jpg

Capacity of 14000 (although one stand is terracing), replace the terracing with seats and I imagine the capacity would be between 12k-13k?

Quite like the Wolves ground meself, and have always enjoyed it there.

But that may me just the large standing only stand and the ability to have a "cold drink" during the game.

The problem with Swansea is that you are so far from the action. It's crap for the actual watching of games.

I'm not a fan of Shrewsbury or Colchester, but I'd have that every day over Swansea.

It just seems people want to watch stadiums rather than matches at the moment (or bring up any reason not to move ahead with the project I suppose).

im not too bothered about how it looks on the outside but i wouldnt mind tiers or the action colse to the pitch to make it intimidating.