• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flat-Pack stadiums ...you can't beat 'em!

Corney didn't agree at the December Forum:

SC - ...We do not want a "flat pack" stadium, we want to build something that looks unique or at least has the potential to look unique, we will have parts of the new stadium that will not be seen commonly elsewhere.

The flatpack stadium in the picture http://img14.imageshack.us/i/stfcnewmeadowaerial.jpg/ is very similar in construction to the Liberty stadium, except the Liberty has the corners filled in.

Is the picture of the Liberty Stadium a hint at the kind of stadium we could end up with if we ever become successful enough to fill in the corners of the new stadium?

I hope so, I like it!

20,000 capacity would be good too :wink:

Edited by laticsrblue

SC - ...We do not want a "flat pack" stadium, we want to build something that looks unique or at least has the potential to look unique, we will have parts of the new stadium that will not be seen commonly elsewhere.

They have hired a firm that primarily builds em though

Someone said "Put a picture of a Decent looking new ground next to the article, Definetely dont use Colchester's or people will question it"

That's what I read into it

Whats so good about Swansea's ground really? It's just and Identikit ground with 20,000 seats in it. Looks nothing special from the outside.

Edit - as per has been mentioned above.. if I had read further.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

They have hired a firm that primarily builds em though

I imagine that they have been appointed due to their experience of building stadia generally rather that how they have built other stadiums. If TTA want something unique, then I'm sure they will be able to design something. Though at the end of the day money talks.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I imagine that they have been appointed due to their experience of building stadia generally rather that how they have built other stadiums. If TTA want something unique, then I'm sure they will be able to design something. Though at the end of the day money talks.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Nothing special, but it is alot more visually impressive than Colchester, Shrewsbury or Leigh RMI

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Nothing special, but it is alot more visually impressive than Colchester, Shrewsbury or Leigh RMI

I would also say the same about the Stadium of Light as well but I suppose when you have got 20,000+ or even 40,000+ seats in the stadium, it will look better. Though it’s a matter of filling them as well.

Hopefully we can do something more in lines with some of the smaller foreign clubs than Shewsbury etc.

The problem with Swansea is that you are so far from the action. It's crap for the actual watching of games.

I'm not a fan of Shrewsbury or Colchester, but I'd have that every day over Swansea.

It just seems people want to watch stadiums rather than matches at the moment (or bring up any reason not to move ahead with the project I suppose).

The problem with Swansea is that you are so far from the action. It's crap for the actual watching of games.

I'm surprised you think that, as there is no running track round the pitch. The view was great when Latics played there. Of course the bigger the stadium capacity, the further some seats are from the pitch. The use of the pitch for rugby probably accounts for the additional grass behind the goal.

3831159898794.jpg

I would also say the same about the Stadium of Light as well but I suppose when you have got 20,000+ or even 40,000+ seats in the stadium, it will look better. Though it’s a matter of filling them as well.

Hopefully we can do something more in lines with some of the smaller foreign clubs than Shewsbury etc.

Completely agree, There was some really good ones on a thread a while ago on here

'...the potential to look unique...'? What the @@@@ does that mean? There's always scope to demolish a stand, I suppose, for that unique three-sided effect.

seems the "lets make BP so much a big :censored:hole by running it down, then they will move anywhere and accept anything" plan is working for some then.

Didn't say I'd accept it Johnny, just that it's a hell of a lot better than where we are. It's just a measure of how :censored: dire BP has become, not how much we'd like the STFC/CUFC option.

i know dan,my point is above.

its being forced on us.

On the subject of identikit stadiums I was Leigh Sports Village on Sunday, 12,700 capacity if TTA and the council can deliver something similar I'd be well pleased. Not really arsed what the ground looks like as long as it has decent facilities and if similar facilities to Leigh can be incporated as well as the extra-curricular projects being mooted then I'll be on board. For now we wait for the plans...

One thing about LSV though is that it was an £83 million project, with key worker housing, hotel and apartments. Perhaps similar to what the Oldham Arena plan was??? Anyhow if we can get the funding for everything but the dwellings it would be an achievement. Perhaps even get some of the NIMBYS over there to have a look as the locals there live right on top of the development. The community facilities are fantastic and i'm sure something similar would bring Failsworth Dynamoes right on board.

Whats so good about Swansea's ground really? It's just and Identikit ground with 20,000 seats in it. Looks nothing special from the outside.

Edit - as per has been mentioned above.. if I had read further.

Been to swansea twice now and i would say it is one of the worst and deprssing of the new bowls.... Add to that the black seats and grey concrete and the place looks miserable, god knows how bad it will look in 10-15 years time.

I wonder at times what people expect from a stadium.

Stadiums cost money. And I would guess unique and impressively designed stadiums cost more money.

- The Shrews new ground has 4 reasonable stands, all without posts.

- Looks as though it has enclosed concourses underneath which will be better to stand in before games and at half time - if you can stand in the (relative) warmth and dry with a few TVs showing Skysports or similar then your likely to spend more cash in the facilities.

- Looks neat and tidy

- Presumably you could construct more seats in the corners in the future to boose capacity if needed

These lack of these at BP is a reason why only the committed are willing to attend - and sometimes not even those anymore.

What in addition to these basic needs to be people want? Yes we could have fancy looking support stuctures ala Huddersfield (or on a grand scale Wembly) which give us a unique look - but at what cost? Another £1m? I'd prefer to have that spent on the team tbh.

Also, its not as though BP is an architectural masterpiece that people have great passion for. Wembley needed something spectacular - but seriously do we?

Stadiums cost money. And I would guess unique and impressively designed stadiums cost more money.

- Looks as though it has enclosed concourses underneath which will be better to stand in before games and at half time - if you can stand in the (relative) warmth and dry with a few TVs showing Skysports or similar then your likely to spend more cash in the facilities.

- Looks neat and tidy

- Presumably you could construct more seats in the corners in the future to boose capacity if needed

These lack of these at BP is a reason why only the committed are willing to attend - and sometimes not even those anymore.

What in addition to these basic needs to be people want? Yes we could have fancy looking support stuctures ala Huddersfield (or on a grand scale Wembly) which give us a unique look - but at what cost? Another £1m? I'd prefer to have that spent on the team tbh.

Also, its not as though BP is an architectural masterpiece that people have great passion for. Wembley needed something spectacular - but seriously do we?

No IMHO.

And for the reasons you give, Scapegoat .

- Looks neat and tidy

Am personally expecting something like Shrewsbury's stadium but only a little bit bigger. Maybe even something like Warrington Wolves RL ground

Halliwell%20Jones%20Panoramic.jpg

Capacity of 14000 (although one stand is terracing), replace the terracing with seats and I imagine the capacity would be between 12k-13k?