Non-league players

I know this is a subject oft discussed on here but in light of a couple of recent instances, I think it's worth revisisting.

Chris Smalling - bought from Leytonstone for £10k, played 2 matches and is off to Utd. for £10 million.

Charlie Austin - £40k from Fleet and knocks in 8 goals in 8 games.

I know it's a gamble trying these players but is the gamble any greater than what we have brought in this season?

We have:

1) The likes of Parker who show no interest/effort/guts and that was evident from reports from previous clubs.

2) The likes of Colbeck who, based on comments from Bradford supporters, couldn't hack it at a lower division.

3) The likes of Steer, a cast off from a top drawer club, who very few know his playing ability.

There is a balance to make regarding pulling a squad together on a tight budget but as it stands, it doesn't appear we have got anywhere close to being right.

I know this is a subject oft discussed on here but in light of a couple of recent instances, I think it's worth revisisting.

Chris Smalling - bought from Leytonstone for £10k, played 2 matches and is off to Utd. for £10 million.

I know it's a gamble trying these players but is the gamble any greater than what we have brought in this season?

We have:

1) The likes of Parker who show no interest/effort/guts and that was evident from reports from previous clubs.

2) The likes of Colbeck who, based on comments from Bradford supporters, couldn't hack it at a lower division.

3) The likes of Steer, a cast off from a top drawer club, who very few know his playing ability.

There is a balance to make regarding pulling a squad together on a tight budget but as it stands, it doesn't appear we have got anywhere close to being right.

Agreed. Most of the players we have bought bar Furman and Colbeck were realesed by there former clubs eg Parker & Jacobson. And there is some good talent in non-league i think. Ive seen bits of Northwich Victoria this year in the FA Cup and for their entire matches all the players gave 100% for the entire match, where as our players never do that. And the players wont be too expensive in non-league either. It would be good if Dave Penis got some good scouts in for a change instead of the rubbish ones we have now!

The problem with this evaluation of the system is you're basing you opinion entirely on the high profile successes, which are a vast minority in terms of the overall data.

This year, around the country, hundreds of players have been plucked from non-league football by teams in League's One and Two. You simply will never, ever, hear of them.

They may go on to play at a respectable level and do well for the likes of Macclesfield or Grimsby - but they will never make the back page of the Sun (perhaps unless they score and FA Cup goal).

Two instances of players being plucked from obscurity do not prove that there are dozens more just sat waiting to be found, that's not to say teams shouldn't look for them - or even that they're not actively looking for them right now, just that they're not easy to find.

Phil Ojpah joined Latics in the summer from non-League and has played many times for the reserves. He may go on to greatness, remain at this lower level or fade back to non-league, no one can say. But the gamble is there.

Fulham spent, as you say, £10k on Smalling. To them that is less than a week's wage for any member of their first team squad, considerably less in fact.

So to suggest he was a realistic target for any side in League's One or Two is to vastly misjudge the situation and thus makes his move irrelevant when comparing the success of Latics in this area.

I'm not for one moment suggesting we shouldn't be looking to non-League for players, merely trying to put into context the high profile cases that people seem to take so to heart.

Ackey, I take your point regarding the two instances I've put forward but is Swindon's position in football hierarchy any different to ours and is Charlie Austin really high profile?

However, my argument is about the gambles we have made with this season's intake.

In hindsight, less than a quarter have actually performed to a reasonable standard on a regular basis.

If we have to have a season of struggle, then I would rather it be with a team who care!!!

The problem with this evaluation of the system is you're basing you opinion entirely on the high profile successes, which are a vast minority in terms of the overall data.

This year, around the country, hundreds of players have been plucked from non-league football by teams in League's One and Two. You simply will never, ever, hear of them.

They may go on to play at a respectable level and do well for the likes of Macclesfield or Grimsby - but they will never make the back page of the Sun (perhaps unless they score and FA Cup goal).

Two instances of players being plucked from obscurity do not prove that there are dozens more just sat waiting to be found, that's not to say teams shouldn't look for them - or even that they're not actively looking for them right now, just that they're not easy to find.

Phil Ojpah joined Latics in the summer from non-League and has played many times for the reserves. He may go on to greatness, remain at this lower level or fade back to non-league, no one can say. But the gamble is there.

Fulham spent, as you say, £10k on Smalling. To them that is less than a week's wage for any member of their first team squad, considerably less in fact.

So to suggest he was a realistic target for any side in League's One or Two is to vastly misjudge the situation and thus makes his move irrelevant when comparing the success of Latics in this area.

I'm not for one moment suggesting we shouldn't be looking to non-League for players, merely trying to put into context the high profile cases that people seem to take so to heart.

Wes Wilkinson immediately springs to mind, cracking talent - but thought he'd made it and was soon binned by Talbot (rightly so) Still playing in non-league...

But we have had some successes

Paul Jones - cruelly cut down by injuries

Barry Prenderville was mostly ok

Wayne Andrews

Fitz

Mark Ward

It's worth a punt imo but I think in our present predicament we need proven talent unfortunately that comes at a premium.

Agreed. Most of the players we have bought bar Furman and Colbeck were realesed by there former clubs eg Parker & Jacobson. And there is some good talent in non-league i think. Ive seen bits of Northwich Victoria this year in the FA Cup and for their entire matches all the players gave 100% for the entire match, where as our players never do that. And the players wont be too expensive in non-league either. It would be good if Dave Penis got some good scouts in for a change instead of the rubbish ones we have now!

Michael Carr- CB

Whayne Riley- CF (the one who scored the goal)

but I think in our present predicament we need proven talent unfortunately that comes at a premium.

Therefore the proven talent will not be at BP for the "bleedin' obvious" reason on no money.

So my original question is still there, have we made the best uses of our meagre resources? And should we have looked more deeply at hungry non-league players instead of some of the workshy louts we have signed?

I think Ernie should be added to that list!!!

By the way Dario Gradi kept Crewe afloat for many years doing exactly what this discussion is all about.