The problem with our mentality

Despite a fairly positive result - maybe our problems started at Charlton? Remember Penney's delight at the 'boring Oldham' tag?

FROM THE OLDHAM ADVERTISER

Penney's delight at 'boring' Latics

Gavin Browne

October 12, 2009

OLDHAM boss Dave Penney shrugged off criticism from Charlton Athletic fans after his side extended their unbeaten run to five games.

A battling performance at The Valley yielded a goalless draw and saw Athletic frustrate the home players and supporters in the process.

Matching Charlton's 4-5-1 formation, the Latics fought hard throughout despite seeing Kelvin Lomax and Dean Brill booked for time wasting as the second half progressed.

The final whistle saw a section of the Charlton fans sing 'boring, boring Oldham' as the visitors made their way off the pitch, much to Penney's delight.

"Fantastic," he said. "I wish every home team would shout that to us because it means we're doing something right.

"It's a tough place to come. They're flying high so we had to make sure we stayed in the game and keep the ball when we could."

Penney's team selection had been hindered with Chris Taylor and Alan Sheehan both missing from the team which drew with Yeovil Town seven days earlier.

:censored: was moved to right-back with Lomax switching flanks, while Jon Worthington was brought into a five-man midfield to deal with Charlton prodigy Jonjo Shelvey.

That decision paid off as the teenager had an ineffective game before he was replaced during the second half.

Further forward, Pawel Abbott drew the manager’s praise for his display as the lone striker. He held the ball up well and combined with Danny Whitaker on a couple of occasions, even more impressive given his hernia problem.

Penney said: "He was excellent. When you play that system you need someone who can hold it up, and if Pav doesn't do that, you can't get out.

"He's still playing with his hernia injury so we're trying to drag that out for as long as possible."

Edited by BeanDrill

They were battering teams at the time and it seemed a fairly good approach to the game by Penney. Unfortunatly he has carried on with that approach ever since and its costing us dear.

Really? Ok then....

Games after...

Football League One Oldham 1-3 Southampton 17-10-2009 - played to win...Brill was utterly gash and cost us 2 goals alone

Football League One Brighton 0-2 Oldham 24-10-2009 - won...I guess we went for a draw?

Football League One Oldham 0-1 Huddersfield 01-11-2009 - one of the worst weather conditions I've ever seen at BP. Add to that, Brill and a Hazell mare error cost us the goal....other than that, no football got played that day

Football League One Gillingham 1-0 Oldham 14-11-2009 - I cant comment really, we lost, did we go to win? Someone who went should comment

Football League One Oldham 2-2 Colchester 21-11-2009 - Colchester in form (14 from 21pts before us), we were quite poor and got going when Tierney went off...a lot of teams would've got nowhere near and had we had another few mins we maybe would've got another as we battered them

Football League One Walsall 3-0 Oldham 24-11-2009 - Started brightly...think we hit the post early on? Then went 1-0 down against run of play but all was still to play for...until Hills cuts a player in half and trying to salvage a point is the plan...

Football League One Oldham 0-2 Leeds 01-12-2009 - Abbott gone for surgery...look blunt as we always would without him...League winners (as they will be) do a job on us

Football League One Norwich 2-0 Oldham 05-12-2009 - Same tactics as Charlton (which I understand and others do on here) minus Abbott who was immense at Charlton and with 8 or 9 players out (JJ at CB...his 1st ever game as a pro there) we do well to keep the tally down in all honesty! I think that's 10 home wins in a row at Carrow Road today....

Football League One Oldham 2-0 Exeter 12-12-2009 - A professional job despite many out injured still

Football League One Wycombe 2-2 Oldham 19-12-2009 - more reshuffling all over...threw 2 points away....but we didn't go there to win? if ppl say so! robbed at the death!

Football League One Hartlepool 2-1 Oldham 02-01-2010 - Was running the game and got undone by 2 sucker punches. fought back in the 2nd and got 1 and how we didnt get another, god only knows. Again, with players missing...2 who came back for their first time as subs.

Football League One Oldham 0-0 Tranmere 20-01-2010 - after 1 game in 32 days...we were never going to be up to the pace against a poor side....

Football League One Oldham 0-1 Millwall 23-01-2010 - neither side deserved to win...a :censored: penalty costing us 1pt...had chances to win it before the ref decided the outcome...

This myth of not playing to win all the time...so we did it at some tough grounds to visit with some :censored: players or players playing in places theyve never played in....at times, damage limitation is necessary with the cards you've been dealt.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Really? Ok then....

Games after...

Football League One Oldham 1-3 Southampton 17-10-2009 - played to win...Brill was utterly gash and cost us 2 goals alone

Football League One Brighton 0-2 Oldham 24-10-2009 - won...I guess we went for a draw?

Football League One Oldham 0-1 Huddersfield 01-11-2009 - one of the worst weather conditions I've ever seen at BP. Add to that, Brill and a Hazell mare error cost us the goal....other than that, no football got played that day

Football League One Gillingham 1-0 Oldham 14-11-2009 - I cant comment really, we lost, did we go to win? Someone who went should comment

Football League One Oldham 2-2 Colchester 21-11-2009 - Colchester in form (14 from 21pts before us), we were quite poor and got going when Tierney went off...a lot of teams would've got nowhere near and had we had another few mins we maybe would've got another as we battered them

Football League One Walsall 3-0 Oldham 24-11-2009 - Started brightly...think we hit the post early on? Then went 1-0 down against run of play but all was still to play for...until Hills cuts a player in half and trying to salvage a point is the plan...

Football League One Oldham 0-2 Leeds 01-12-2009 - Abbott gone for surgery...look blunt as we always would without him...League winners (as they will be) do a job on us

Football League One Norwich 2-0 Oldham 05-12-2009 - Same tactics as Charlton (which I understand and others do on here) minus Abbott who was immense at Charlton and with 8 or 9 players out (JJ at CB...his 1st ever game as a pro there) we do well to keep the tally down in all honesty! I think that's 10 home wins in a row at Carrow Road today....

Football League One Oldham 2-0 Exeter 12-12-2009 - A professional job despite many out injured still

Football League One Wycombe 2-2 Oldham 19-12-2009 - more reshuffling all over...threw 2 points away....but we didn't go there to win? if ppl say so! robbed at the death!

Football League One Hartlepool 2-1 Oldham 02-01-2010 - Was running the game and got undone by 2 sucker punches. fought back in the 2nd and got 1 and how we didnt get another, god only knows. Again, with players missing...2 who came back for their first time as subs.

Football League One Oldham 0-0 Tranmere 20-01-2010 - after 1 game in 32 days...we were never going to be up to the pace against a poor side....

Football League One Oldham 0-1 Millwall 23-01-2010 - neither side deserved to win...a :censored: penalty costing us 1pt...had chances to win it before the ref decided the outcome...

This myth of not playing to win all the time...so we did it at some tough grounds to visit with some :censored: players or players playing in places theyve never played in....at times, damage limitation is necessary with the cards you've been dealt.

And bar Brighton, Nava was at everyone of those games.

I disagree with him, but he has a point and he has an opnion which he is entitled to. After Wycombe, it is hard to prove him wrong at this point in time.

The Leeds game as it was a cup game was the worst this season. We may as well have gone for it that day/night but didn't, and went out of the cup without a whimper. That game we had about 2 efforts on goal, lacked any tempo. One nil down and we were taking our time with throw ins & free kicks. Even letting the ball run out of play when it could have easily been kept in, and maintained some sort of pressure.

"The cards he's been dealt" He signed the players, small budget or not. Hes spunked it on :censored:e.

Edited by Butter

And bar Brighton, Nava was at everyone of those games.

I disagree with him, but he has a point and he has an opnion which he is entitled to. After Wycombe, it is hard to prove him wrong at this point in time.

I don't think anyone said he wasn't entitled to it...I also disagree with him...

Some games we didn't go to win coz of who we were up against, some we weren't good enough, some we had the worst weather seen at BP and a :censored: keeper in net but did set out to win, a game where a loanee knobhead inexplicable cut a guy in half meaning damage limitation and a ref giving a match-winning penalty against us last weekend.

There are a few times we've set out to gain a point, but only a few...

I don't think anyone said he wasn't entitled to it...I also disagree with him...

Some games we didn't go to win coz of who we were up against, some we weren't good enough, some we had the worst weather seen at BP and a :censored: keeper in net but did set out to win, a game where a loanee knobhead inexplicable cut a guy in half meaning damage limitation and a ref giving a match-winning penalty against us last weekend.

There are a few times we've set out to gain a point, but only a few...

By and large I agree.

We can all feel down/gutted/angry at the end of 90 minutes, but then feel different after a nights sleep and then its on to the next 90 minutes.

However, you also have to look at the fact that we are down with the dead men and it has been pointed out several times, that when you are down there, it is what you do against the teams around you that seals your fate 1 way or the other. It was ponted out to me that at Wycombe, we snatched a draw from the jaws of victory against 10 men. Having been there, it's hard to argue against that, but it doesn't stop me disagreeing with him over the long term.

Huddersfield - terrible weather granted but at least hudders tried to get the ball on the floor and play, all we did was hoof it.

Gillingham - dirtiest performance I have seen from a Latics team in my time of watching never threatened them, we just tried to stop them playing.

Colchester - terrible Vs 11 great Vs 10. Can't rely on teams going down to ten men.

Walsall - no fight from the team. Once a goal down they all gave in apart from Gregan and JJ who were great in the centre of defence.

Leeds - both the cup game and league too easy for them. Yes they probably would of won anyway but its not too mush to ask for the lads to have a go is it? My mate who is a Leeds fan said he has never seen a team who look so bad going forward in the 1st game untill we played them in the 2nd a few weeks later

Norwich - went there and lied down. Unlike charlton where we gave our all Norwich never got out of 1st gear and could of slaughtered us if they wanted to.

Exeter - did what was required but a better team could of easily of pulled it back when we went defensive after going 2-0 up.

Wycombe - easily in control agaist 10 men until Penney wanted to hold on to what we had and then we got what we deserved for going 4-5-1 against a terrible team.

Hartlepool - never in the game untill the last 7 mins when we scored. Again that was against ten men.

Tranmere - was there even a meaningful effort on target for either team?

Millwall - tried to pass it in the 1st half and with better finnishing could easily of taken the lead. 2nd half was back to the usual with long balls usually played to the ball boys in front of the chaddy.

Huddersfield - terrible weather granted but at least hudders tried to get the ball on the floor and play, all we did was hoof it.

Gillingham - dirtiest performance I have seen from a Latics team in my time of watching never threatened them, we just tried to stop them playing.

Colchester - terrible Vs 11 great Vs 10. Can't rely on teams going down to ten men.

Walsall - no fight from the team. Once a goal down they all gave in apart from Gregan and JJ who were great in the centre of defence.

Leeds - both the cup game and league too easy for them. Yes they probably would of won anyway but its not too mush to ask for the lads to have a go is it? My mate who is a Leeds fan said he has never seen a team who look so bad going forward in the 1st game untill we played them in the 2nd a few weeks later

Norwich - went there and lied down. Unlike charlton where we gave our all Norwich never got out of 1st gear and could of slaughtered us if they wanted to.

Exeter - did what was required but a better team could of easily of pulled it back when we went defensive after going 2-0 up.

Wycombe - easily in control agaist 10 men until Penney wanted to hold on to what we had and then we got what we deserved for going 4-5-1 against a terrible team.

Hartlepool - never in the game untill the last 7 mins when we scored. Again that was against ten men.

Tranmere - was there even a meaningful effort on target for either team?

Millwall - tried to pass it in the 1st half and with better finnishing could easily of taken the lead. 2nd half was back to the usual with long balls usually played to the ball boys in front of the chaddy.

OK make your own argument

OK make your own argument

Don't worry i will do :grin:

I don't mind if we have a go and lose but the last 14/15 games we really havn't helped ourselves in the majority of them.

The wycombe game was the final straw for me and bar 45 minutes agaist Millwall I havn't seen anything to change my mind.