Alan Grovers memories wanted

Ive been contacted by a chap from 442 magazine as they are doing a look at the career of Alan Groves. If anyone has any memories they would like to share here are his details:

His email is: Steve.anglesey@mgn.co.uk

Hi - have seen your website and wonder if you can help.

I'm writing a retrospective piece about Alan Groves for FourFourTwo magazine. Hopefully most of it will be based around an interview about him with Harry Redknapp, who played with him at Bournemouth, but I'm looking for fans' memories of a great player. More or less the only thing I can remember about him - apart from the afro - was the way he used to come out with his forehead and eyebrows greased up like a boxer.

Have you got any particular memories of Alan - or do you know someone who would be able to help me?

Thanks very much for your help

Steve

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grovers!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Museum de Latique

Ive been contacted by a chap from 442 magazine as they are doing a look at the career of Alan Groves. If anyone has any memories they would like to share here are his details:

His email is: Steve.anglesey@mgn.co.uk

Hi - have seen your website and wonder if you can help.

I'm writing a retrospective piece about Alan Groves for FourFourTwo magazine. Hopefully most of it will be based around an interview about him with Harry Redknapp, who played with him at Bournemouth, but I'm looking for fans' memories of a great player. More or less the only thing I can remember about him - apart from the afro - was the way he used to come out with his forehead and eyebrows greased up like a boxer.

Have you got any particular memories of Alan - or do you know someone who would be able to help me?

Thanks very much for your help

Steve

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grovers!!!!!!!!!

My overriding memory of Alan Groves is when he slammed a ball towards the touchline during a game which hit a young lad perched on the wall sending him flying backwards into the crowd - Groves ran over to help pick the lad up - none the worse for his experience - apologising profusely.

He was a crowd pleaser and along with Ricky Holden and George McVitie is up there in the winger hall of fame <_<

I reember Grovesy terrorising this fat fullback in one game, he was incredible, nutmegging him and skinning him countless times, he totally took the piss out of him for 90 minutes, the best thing he did though was pretending to tie his bootlaces mid dribble, the defender was stunned he didnt try to tackle him or anything, just stood there gobsmacked. it was the funniest thing i ever saw and its stuck in my mind ever since.

Grovesy - top top man!!

I reember Grovesy terrorising this fat fullback in one game, he was incredible, nutmegging him and skinning him countless times, he totally took the piss out of him for 90 minutes, the best thing he did though was pretending to tie his bootlaces mid dribble, the defender was stunned he didnt try to tackle him or anything, just stood there gobsmacked. it was the funniest thing i ever saw and its stuck in my mind ever since.

Grovesy - top top man!!

Nice - another memory: One game when the play was up at the Latic's goalmouth, an opposing defender was down injured deep into his own half. Groves stood next to him (played onside) calling for the ball - opposition Manager not amused :lol:

Nice - another memory: One game when the play was up at the Latic's goalmouth, an opposing defender was down injured deep into his own half. Groves stood next to him (played onside) calling for the ball - opposition Manager not amused :lol:

guy i drove to wolves away in the cup knew alan well will try and get his name if i can hes a good mate of the old guy who does the carparking on sheepfoot lane during the week might be worth asking him ?

Grovesy had to be one of the most entertaining player we ever had, I remember one goal he scored which was a volley, he hit the ball chest height with both feet of the ground from the edge of the box. It screamed into the top corner,on his day he was totally unplayable. Very sad he left us so young, one of my all time favourites.

Edited by penrhyn

Loads of memories, two stand out.

1. An 30yard screamer in the 90th minute to win at Ewood Park always helps in achieving Latics legend status - Grovesy managed it.

2. Blackpool away - getting kicked off the park by a full back who just couldn't live with him. Grovesy waited till he knew the ref was watching then chinned him. Didn't even wait for the ref to send him off just set off walking.

As Jimmy Friz said when he passed away "The game of football is ill equipped to cope with the loss of Alan Groves" - One legend's view of another.