Penney's contract

Does anyone happen to know whether there's a clause in Dave's contract, allowing Latics to release him without paying compensation, in the event that we're relegated? It would have been a wise move, and would add an interesting dynamic to the situation, if pressure continues to mount. TTA would then have the dilemma of keeping him (and for the record I think they should) until the end of the season and then, if they want rid after we go down, doing it for free, or potentially shelling out to save the season and then being relegated anyway.

Barry?

Does anyone happen to know whether there's a clause in Dave's contract, allowing Latics to release him without paying compensation, in the event that we're relegated? It would have been a wise move, and would add an interesting dynamic to the situation, if pressure continues to mount. TTA would then have the dilemma of keeping him (and for the record I think they should) until the end of the season and then, if they want rid after we go down, doing it for free, or potentially shelling out to save the season and then being relegated anyway.

Barry?

Not sure on the clause but how has it come to this?

Just over 12 months ago we were promotion contenders, now relegation is staring us in the face.........beggars belief!

Not sure on the clause but how has it come to this?

Just over 12 months ago we were promotion contenders, now relegation is staring us in the face.........beggars belief!

Its still cringeworthy to a point watching one of Pawel Abbott's first interviews.

Q: So is playoff's the aim of the season Pav?

Pav: I thought it was Automatic?..

It more worries me how this was our initial aim of the season, and how we are where we are now.

However I'm not worried about relegation yet. I will worry if we get sod all out of the next bunch of games, which if we are going to stay up, must happen. We was always going to get sod all out of Leeds and Norwich, which is why the recent strengthened resurgence of "penney out" on the back of these games beggars belief to an extent..

Barry?

There was an agent on talksport who was talking about Liverpool having to pay Benitez £20 million to get rid of him. He basically said that 99% of contacts have clauses in that means they don't have to pay anywhere near the full amount and in Benitez case it is probably less than half of what is reported.

Whether or not this is the case with Penney I think only He and the owners/ Alan Hardy will know this and they won't be making it public knowledge in any case.

Its still cringeworthy to a point watching one of Pawel Abbott's first interviews.

Q: So is playoff's the aim of the season Pav?

Pav: I thought it was Automatic?..

It more worries me how this was our initial aim of the season, and how we are where we are now.

However I'm not worried about relegation yet. I will worry if we get sod all out of the next bunch of games, which if we are going to stay up, must happen. We was always going to get sod all out of Leeds and Norwich, which is why the recent strengthened resurgence of "penney out" on the back of these games beggars belief to an extent..

abbott might have said auto but penny didnt....penny stated a munber of times that the first goal was to get points on the board...his aim was to get to 45/50 points asap,then reasses from there.

anybody who thought promotion either from auto or playoffs was a serious ambition this season must have been seriously deluded or living in cloud cuckoo land.

the constant bleating about reduced budget and loss of revenue early doors meant mid table was the serious aim or hope...

i doubt that any clause was put into any contract as the thought of relegation wasnt an option.

if they want to get rid they will do,doesnt matter about a clause,just say right dave it aint worked out,see ya,oh if you seriously want the second half of your contract or you think you have earnt it then take us to court....let it sort itself out in 6 or 12 months time,easy

Barry?

I would imagine there was but this is information that will and should remain private.

if they want to get rid they will do,doesnt matter about a clause,just say right dave it aint worked out,see ya,oh if you seriously want the second half of your contract or you think you have earnt it then take us to court....let it sort itself out in 6 or 12 months time,easy

Wouldn't we then be breaching the terms of the contract and you can be sure he'd take us to court too. It is not the way to do things.

Wouldn't we then be breaching the terms of the contract and you can be sure he'd take us to court too. It is not the way to do things.

and???

how long ago did curbishly leave west ham..he has only just managed to sort out his remaining contract.

whether its the right or wrong thing to do isnt an option,he has been paid for services rendered so far,if he wants money for year 2 which he hasnt earned then go to court for it.

why should the owners just hand over cash for something which hasnt been earnt,just because he signed a two year deal..

clubs do it all the time,if you want it fight for it,our owners can put the money aside and let it earn interest while going through due process.

and???

how long ago did curbishly leave west ham..he has only just managed to sort out his remaining contract.

whether its the right or wrong thing to do isnt an option,he has been paid for services rendered so far,if he wants money for year 2 which he hasnt earned then go to court for it.

why should the owners just hand over cash for something which hasnt been earnt,just because he signed a two year deal..

clubs do it all the time,if you want it fight for it,our owners can put the money aside and let it earn interest while going through due process.

Dangerous game to be playing isn't it.

That's also West Ham who are in around £110M worth of debt too. There's good reason for that.

Dangerous game to be playing isn't it.

That's also West Ham who are in around £110M worth of debt too. There's good reason for that.

yeah paying over inflated prices for inferior players then paying them 40 or 50k a week to prove there worth nothing

might be a dangerous game,but it happens at other clubs and nobody bats an eye,so why should our owners be goody two shoes all the time and cough up.

you could say penny is in breech of his contract by not performaing as he should and not getting the best out of his players....

anybody who thought promotion either from auto or playoffs was a serious ambition this season must have been seriously deluded or living in cloud cuckoo land.

the constant bleating about reduced budget and loss of revenue early doors meant mid table was the serious aim or hope...

Why? Bleating is exactly what it was, and so expectations within the club won't have been affected by bull:censored: spouted on here. If I was a Chairman who had sacked my novice club-legend of a manager, a manager who had had my club challenging for play-offs, or better, throughout his reign, then I'd presumabley be expecting more from the more experienced man with the same, or even increased, budget. I certainly wouldn't be expecting something approaching the worst season in modern history with 'diehard' fans such as Stitch_KTF unable to garner the enthusisam to attend against the table-toppers the day after pay day.

I told you and what felt like everybody else on here that the budget hadn't been reduced. Not because I'm a know all but because I had listened to and accepted what Simon Corney and others had gone on record as saying.

Whilst I'm positive there's a way to relieve him of his duties without paying up his contract in full, the fact a 'deal' has been agreed is no doubt something of a stumbling block.

Barry?

I asked this question on another thread on Saturday night, I hope TTA considered relegation a possibility and not like up at Newcastle the season before last.

Whilst I'm positive there's a way to relieve him of his duties without paying up his contract in full, the fact a 'deal' has been agreed is no doubt something of a stumbling block.

Put it this way, if we were to pay his contract off in full, it would go down as a sacking. That is not something thay, you, me, Penney or anyone would want on their respective CV.

A resignation or mutual consent however, is not as bad, and there is nothing to stop the owners saying "look, its not worked out as we had planned, no hard feelings but here is 60k if you go now, and we will call it mutual consent", or even penney saying "give me <insertsumhere> and I will go now, we will call it quits"

There are ways to get round it, otherwise I imagine paying off Talbots 3 and a half year deal would have cost us an arm and a leg

barry owen can only answer this i bet he not say anything today trainning was cancel.

But (irrespective of peoples opinions on Barry here), we do not have any right to know whether there are any clauses in his contract or not. It is personal information between Dave Penney and the club and will not be revealed for the same reason the club said to Latics & England and leeslover when they went to look at the accounts that it will not divulge personal salaries.