Alessandra scores for reserves

Alessandra is great at holding the ball up, taking the pressure off the midfield and then bringing them in to play as an attacking force.

Could be what we need to get Furman forward more.

Lewi is somewhat of a footballing conundrum – at full physical fitness (not coming back from over 5 months out in other words) and on song; he brings a number of positives to the side. On the flip side; he has looked a Blue Square Conference player in the making in other showings.

Physicality wise; I remember Yeovil at home either last season or the season before that, where Lewi rolled the giant CB who partnered Skiverton (Gilkes was he called IIRC?) on the turn and left him flat on his back. Vs Carlisle the same season (I think) when he replaced the crocked Hughes he more than matched the CB’s and gave them a torrid time. The reverse of that is him getting buffeted about like a rag doll on other occasions; and his tendency to simply ‘fall over’ a la Leicester away last season when clean through.

His general link play; when on from, can be superb though for me. Dropping deep into the difficult to pick ‘hole’ between attack and midfield; he was able to bring in others with either a pass himself or due to his movement pulling defenders out of position. His goals were coming; the hattrick vs Scunny being the example – then he’s dropped and its been a downward slide from there.

I’m not convinced though that he is the ‘foil’ to play along Pav that I’ve talked about on other threads. Lewis isn’t an ‘on the shoulder’ striker – he’s not pacey enough and his game hasn’t ever been about that, nor is he the ‘fox in the box’ type either who don’t do much until they see the whites of the ‘keepers eyes and then they spring to life. Pav as a link striker is bigger; stronger and more experienced thus making him the better option to perform that role – I don’t see them forging a potent partnership as they don’t compliment each other IMO.

It’s good news that he’s back, he’s scored and he’s likely to making match-day squads soon – but he’s not the messiah and the answer to our goal drought…….

Ha! I have just seen "Alessandra" and "great" in the same sentence!

That shock aside, didn't the lad get binned because there were suspect attitude issues? In fact, haven't we had dozens of threads on this site to that very effect?

LA is a decent young player; lacks pace and doesn't get into scoring positions with enough regularity though and needs to learn how to make life difficult for defenders even when the ball isn't coming to him - that means drawing the CB's out of position and making clever runs even if only to make space elsewhere. He's shown occasional glimpses of technique, but as with Smalley I do just wonder whether the flame of ambition burns brightly enough within - he needs to be capable of working his ass off for himself and / or the team every game. Hughes is a perfect example; didn't give a monkey's for the team but knew that goals meant value and so he worked himself into the ground to get every accolade he could in order to make the next contract a big one.

Might be wrong, but I haven't seen enough from LA to justify game time yet. The team was flying when he was playing last season but that is most likely not down to him, but then equally his lack of goals is more likely down to Hughes and his inability to pass to a team-mate. A riddle wrapped in an enigma is this one, but don't build him up because he really has done very little to deserve it.

I like Alice, and think he is a very tidy player. I just don't know where he should be playing, but it's not up front for me.

NB. Probably that forward midfielder we thought Whitaker was.

I think does Smalley and LA are worth a go in the role