Chester City wound up

HMRC debt of £26,125 in unpaid taxes.

Looks like small beer to me compared with Pompey et al...............................

Drop in the ocean compared to the £12+m Portsmouth owe in taxes. It'll be interesting to see what assistance the new club being set up by Chester's fans get from the League and the FA.if the 'fit and proper person test' was worth the paper it was written on, Vaughan would never have been allowed to take over the club anyway, so the League have to take some responsibility for what's happened to Chester.

Drop in the ocean compared to the £12+m Portsmouth owe in taxes. It'll be interesting to see what assistance the new club being set up by Chester's fans get from the League and the FA.if the 'fit and proper person test' was worth the paper it was written on, Vaughan would never have been allowed to take over the club anyway, so the League have to take some responsibility for what's happened to Chester.

The sooner the Greedy League take some responsibility for destroying the fabric of the game the better, but it'll never happen. £26k is small beer to any Greedy League club, in fact it's small change, or a days wages to some players. There should be some sort of fund which any team upon entry to the Premiership should sign into and contribute, then the fund is distributed among the lower division teams to help with running costs. Everyone is wrapped up in the soap opera that it is, no-one notices these things, but the bigger picture is the grass-roots are being destroyed by the greed of the upper echelons. If it's not supported then we're left with a split between those clubs who can sustain a full time business and a lot of teams who can only be run part-time.

There should be some sort of fund which any team upon entry to the Premiership should sign into and contribute, then the fund is distributed among the lower division teams to help with running costs.

They do pass sizeable amounts down, don't they? The problem is that whatever income the clubs have, they always want to spend a bit more to compete (showing ambition, as someone somewhere once called it), most of the costs are players wages, and it's a reasonably closed pool of players, so any extra cash buys fancier cars and holidays rather than making the clubs more secure.

Chester was an unusal case anyway, no doubt the fans could have got £26k together but they preferred for the club to be wound up rather than go on with the same ownership

In this case we are not talking about a 26K bank loan though, Chester did not pay their taxes. We don't get the option to opt out of paying taxes each month, so I don't see why a football club should, regardless of their size.

Another non league team has bit the dust - Farsley Celtic, no mention of unpaid tax, but an unpaid debt of 750K. Is it me, or is that a lot for a conference north team?

Another non league team has bit the dust - Farsley Celtic, no mention of unpaid tax, but an unpaid debt of 750K. Is it me, or is that a lot for a conference north team?

Seem to be slightly strange circumstances involved here. Farsley were the subject of a last minute rescue from oblivion only a few months ago.

and those that founded it ?

Yep, us included. Well, Ian Stott if we're being honest about it. Had we been able to hang on a minute or two in April 1994, who knows? We could have been still hanging around with the likes of Bolton. Still, I'd feel the same anyway, because I'd be priced out if we were in the Greedy League.

Anyway, was that comment to somehow try and make us feel guilty about the fact that we (sorry, Stott) voted for it?

Yep, us included. Well, Ian Stott if we're being honest about it. Had we been able to hang on a minute or two in April 1994, who knows? We could have been still hanging around with the likes of Bolton. Still, I'd feel the same anyway, because I'd be priced out if we were in the Greedy League.

Anyway, was that comment to somehow try and make us feel guilty about the fact that we (sorry, Stott) voted for it?

It was not a comment with the sole intent of making you or anyone feel guilty it was simply something of a forgotten fact when we attack the "greedy" league. This idea Stott voted for it alone is silly. Specially considering the burning hunger in every football fan to have there team in that league.

You would not be priced out if we was up there fighting with Bolton (presuming you can afford to buy a latics season ticket). The facts are teams like Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn are all offering similarly priced season tickets to us now thanks to their TV deal.

I reckon if we was up there with Bolton and such like we would be giving as much thought to the lower leagues as the average Bolton fans dose at the moment. We only think differently due to being stuck in this :censored: at the moment.

How many people cared about Chester going under yesterday ? How many really give a crap about Stockport and Southend over at the Reebok ? To think we would be any different is short sighted.

I include myself in all this.

This is reality, argue against it if you want.

It was not a comment with the sole intent of making you or anyone feel guilty it was simply something of a forgotten fact when we attack the "greedy" league. This idea Stott voted for it alone is silly. Specially considering the burning hunger in every football fan to have there team in that league.

You would not be priced out if we was up there fighting with Bolton (presuming you can afford to buy a latics season ticket). The facts are teams like Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn are all offering similarly priced season tickets to us now thanks to their TV deal.

I reckon if we was up there with Bolton and such like we would be giving as much thought to the lower leagues as the average Bolton fans dose at the moment. We only think differently due to being stuck in this :censored: at the moment.

How many people cared about Chester going under yesterday ? How many really give a crap about Stockport and Southend over at the Reebok ? To think we would be any different is short sighted.

I include myself in all this.

This is reality, argue against it if you want.

When you say "we" I think you're right as a collective. I wouldn't count myself in that, and I'd most certainly be in the minority when I consider The Championship as the top league for me. I view the Premier League as something I hold little interest in because it has the same top 4 each and every season, the same 4 or 5 clubs just behind them and the same band of clubs from mid-table to bottom. Oh yeah, and the same yo-yo teams bouncing back inbetween there and the Championship. It's all a complete soap opera and the only reason I do the Fantasy Football League game is to keep an vested interest which is waning year on year.

As a "we" though, you're dead right. Because football fans are a completely fickle beast.

Bolton and Wigan doing similar priced ST's? Well it's a new thing, because roll back 5 or 6 years and the cost for one was three times more expensive than ours. On-the-day ticket prices were in the £30-£40 region (I know because I tried getting some for friends who were visiting and fancied getting some for friends). They've just been able to lower the prices a tad while clubs like us have had to raise ours, just to keep up a little.

For me as a football fan it's going away to support your team which counts more than just buying a season ticket. It's where the real enjoyment comes; a win away always means more than a win at home for some reason. That's where you're priced out, because faced with 3 away games in the space of a month and your hit in the pocket is around £200. Add in travel costs and other associated outlays it doubles quite easily. Put simply with Oldham in the Premier:censored:e I'd perhaps get to 1 away game a season, if I'm lucky. Ooh, great, £200 to see Wigan or Bolton get absolutely tatered at Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal. Joyous.

In this case we are not talking about a 26K bank loan though, Chester did not pay their taxes. We don't get the option to opt out of paying taxes each month, so I don't see why a football club should, regardless of their size.

I think Farsley's problems have arisen from rejection of planning permission to build on some of the land they own (whilst keeping the ground up and running). I'd guess this is the fields they use as the car park. They've probably gone as the creditors can get more money back from selling the whole ground than just the fields and make up more of those very large amounts owed, and certainly won't struggle for (i) the ground being made into houses, and probably not (ii) the whole lot used in one application - as no one wants to live next to a ground at all.

Bolton and Wigan doing similar priced ST's? Well it's a new thing, because roll back 5 or 6 years and the cost for one was three times more expensive than ours. On-the-day ticket prices were in the £30-£40 region (I know because I tried getting some for friends who were visiting and fancied getting some for friends). They've just been able to lower the prices a tad while clubs like us have had to raise ours, just to keep up a little.

They where higher but not the tune you are saying... You could get into Bolton, Blackburn and Wigan for number much less than you state.

I can only talk about the collective "we" as I don't know you personally. I reckon 80% of latics fans would be of the same mind set of the average prem fan had things been different, aka not giving a stuff about the lower leagues.