march 1979

For £60,000 Stainrod became then Oldham Athletic's record signing in March 1979, his debut coming in a 2-0 victory against Blackburn Rovers where he scored the second goal for the Latics. The following season he was the clubs top goal scorer with just 11 goals.
simon stainrod..... we need a player of his quality today

The Stainrod swagger....

It has to be said his debut goal at B***tard Rovers was a thing of beauty - picked the ball up on the half way line left wing, went past two men cut in and lashed it from an impossible angle inside the far post - of such things are legend made.

It has to be said his debut goal at B***tard Rovers was a thing of beauty - picked the ball up on the half way line left wing, went past two men cut in and lashed it from an impossible angle inside the far post - of such things are legend made.

Like Kevin Betsy v Hartlepool?

A more imfamous memory of Stan, the cause of the riot versus Sheff Wednesday diving for... fouled for a penalty and then getting the player sent off and winking to the Chaddy end, such legends are born, happy times :grin:

the player sent off was terry dirty curran wednesday's top player at the time ,what a day to remember ,jack charlton going to the fans in rr rd only to go away in :bigcry:

simon stainrod..... we need a player of his quality today

Too right Bob - he is still probably my favourite Latics player of all time, his debut game goal still lives long in the memory, not just because who it was against and we never won at Ewood Park but the skill he had to beat the defenders and then the impossible angle he scored from.

He lived around the corner from me in Milnrow and often used to come out and have a kick around with us on the field near his house. Top bloke.

Now lives in the South of France,when we played Leeds last year my Mate was having a business lunch in Paris with him and my mate rang me at the match and put the great man on for a brief chat ,still got a broad Sheffield accent,still a character by all accounts.

Up there with Grovesie,Ritchie, Eyrsie in Legend Status!

Stainrod is one of my all time favourite Latics players, very skillful and a great entertainer, not far behind Ritchie for me.

Funnily enough when the Guardsmens Band came on at half time yesterday they started with "Men of Harlech" which in Stainrods era became "Men of Boundary Park are Roaring, Simon Stainrods always scoring.." which set me and mate reminiscing about some of his goals.