Club hits a new low

A bit of me just died inside when I read this. Northampton Town have started stocking other Premiership clubs merch in their club shop.

Matter of time before Latics (or is it 'Latique'?) follow suit?

Thats just shockingly bad. It's like they are giving up completely. England merch I can understand, but the day Latics start selling other clubs stock is they day I never ever buy anything from there again.

Thats just shockingly bad. It's like they are giving up completely. England merch I can understand, but the day Latics start selling other clubs stock is they day I never ever buy anything from there again.

Yeah, absolutely. Thing is, as ludicrous as it looks, Northampton selling it that is, I can't help thinking that more clubs will start doing it as a little earner. And the even bleaker thing is I can see a lot of fans accepting it, rather than feeling a bit disgusted like you and I.

A bit of me just died inside when I read this. Northampton Town have started stocking other Premiership clubs merch in their club shop.

It is crap. However, Northampton I feel is a bit of a unique case seeing the demographic of that area. My only surprise is it is not Rangers and Celtic shirts.

It is crap. However, Northampton I feel is a bit of a unique case seeing the demographic of that area. My only surprise is it is not Rangers and Celtic shirts.

Exactly, Northampton is a rugby town, in fact I'd wager the cricket team get bigger gates for their 20/20 games. Their nearest big clubs are those in Birmingham and whilst they are in the commuter belt for London (just) there simply isn't a big club for miles and none of their nearest rivals could be called big (I think they have a big rivalry with the Posh). I can't see Northampton being awash with places to buy replica football shirts- it makes sense.

Just because it makes sense for the Cobblers to do it I can't see us doing it- far too many Latics fans hate Citeh or United or both. We don't like the Scousers and Notlob, Wigwam, Burnley and Rovers are all rivals from back in the day. Anyone else isn't going to get a look in locally. Plus we have quite a few shops that sell all sorts of merchandise from the local big teams in the town or nearby. Plus when you factor in we have to order our shirts in two batches so not to overfill the shop there simply isn't going to be enough room. We could sell England stuff, especially with the world cup coming around, and I think we have done in the past but any other professional football team is not going to get a sniff.

You mean We Are Latics ........ A stupid name for the merchanting imo ....Latique should have been used again when it was rebranded

Surely though, the majority of the people who look on their website and go in their club shop will be Northampton fans not scum, Liverpool Arsenal etc.. so who will buy them?

I cant imagine any of my mates thinking i'll pop down to latics to get my new City, United shirt if we thought about doing it.

Bury used to and still do sell Man United stuff.

I like the idea of selling England stuff. Especially before the world cup as i'm sure most would rather be putting money into the club than a sports shop. Probably about as far as most clubs would be able to take it.

Exactly, Northampton is a rugby town, in fact I'd wager the cricket team get bigger gates for their 20/20 games. Their nearest big clubs are those in Birmingham and whilst they are in the commuter belt for London (just) there simply isn't a big club for miles and none of their nearest rivals could be called big (I think they have a big rivalry with the Posh). I can't see Northampton being awash with places to buy replica football shirts- it makes sense.

Bollocks. Sorry, it just is.

It's a civilised town, with sports outlets and everything. And there's the tinternet, so no shortage to buy a bit of Chelsea/Arsenal/Man United bunf. No "it's OK for them and certainly not for us", just the mere fact that a professional club, a couple of divisions lower than the Premiership has to choose to stock Premiership 'goodies' is an epitome on how depressingly torn the fabric of football is these days.

It still leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth that a club has to do this as an income stream.

Bollocks. Sorry, it just is.

It's a civilised town, with sports outlets and everything. And there's the tinternet, so no shortage to buy a bit of Chelsea/Arsenal/Man United bunf. No "it's OK for them and certainly not for us", just the mere fact that a professional club, a couple of divisions lower than the Premiership has to choose to stock Premiership 'goodies' is an epitome on how depressingly torn the fabric of football is these days.

It still leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth that a club has to do this as an income stream.

Just spoke to some of my cobbler supporting mates. They have got some England Under 17 games being held at Sixfields plus some local finals (non league, schools etc) which is the official line of why they are doing this. Fair enough on the England shirts but the premier greed shirts seem hard to stomach.

Just spoke to some of my cobbler supporting mates. They have got some England Under 17 games being held at Sixfields plus some local finals (non league, schools etc) which is the official line of why they are doing this. Fair enough on the England shirts but the premier greed shirts seem hard to stomach.

England merch is fine. Nowt wrong with that.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly