Dale Stephens

Just watched his interview on LP and it seems he has another year left on his deal, I was under the impression he signed for two years so perhaps a clause has been triggered giving him an extra year? Anyhow good news as he has been a shining light amongst the doom and gloom that has followed us around for the majority of this season. We should be building a team around players like Dale and Imo I hope we can nick a few more jewels like him over the summer.

Edited by oafcprozac

We should be building a team around players like Dale and Imo I hope we can nick a few more jewels like him over the summer.

Yes. And sell them quickly before they turn :censored:e. Push on next season Dale, sign a new 4 year contract around February and then offload to Coventry or one of those perrenial Division 2 sides for £750k next summer.

He looks like a real prospect to me, albeit a bit one-paced. If anything that, and perhaps a lack of natural athleticism, will hold him back over the course of his career. That said though, Carrick is one-paced and when at Spurs he had his game down to the extent where he was breaking forward and getting into the box, while dictating the tempo of the midfield and setting the tone for the team. That's what Stephens has to work towards, and I'm hoping that he can fulfill his promise with us...

One of the bright points of the season though, and definitely worth investing in come contract time.

He looks like a real prospect to me, albeit a bit one-paced. If anything that, and perhaps a lack of natural athleticism, will hold him back over the course of his career. That said though, Carrick is one-paced and when at Spurs he had his game down to the extent where he was breaking forward and getting into the box, while dictating the tempo of the midfield and setting the tone for the team. That's what Stephens has to work towards, and I'm hoping that he can fulfill his promise with us...

One of the bright points of the season though, and definitely worth investing in come contract time.

Good example that; albeit a ‘top level’ one – at that level you can add in Gareth Barry too; both players have flourished; even thought they are termed ‘slow’ and ‘one paced’.

I think DS showed a decent turn of pace to break past the forward line for his goal vs Leyton Orient and I wouldn’t say he was particularly slow once he gets going; but I do agree he doesn’t have a change of pace to accelerate away; leaving him a touch ‘one paced’.

For me; DS’s emergence this season; coupled with the cameo flashes of Eaves & Millar (granted all 3 with more than a touch of luck & needs must rather than judgement about all their inclusions) has been one of; if not the only bright spot from this poor season.

Midfield next season now has to be Dale Stephens and +1 if we’re going 4-4-2; as he’d made himself that crucial in the CM role. He’s the only one we have who has real composure on the ball, an assured touch in the engine room and he is our only option from set pieces really. I still don’t think we’ve seen him in his ‘best position’ as I see it. When we went 4-5-1; I would have liked to have seen DS in the advanced role with 2 others sitting. Instead; DS was asked to sit and Whitts was the in the advanced role. For me; DS has infinitely more about him than Casper – and I’d love to see him in the attacking midfielder role with the protection of 2 holding midfielders taking some of the defensive responsibility off him.

A full season of continued development for DS and I’m sure that scouts will be flocking to our games as he’s got ‘Championship potential’ all about his game.

I still don’t think we’ve seen him in his ‘best position’ as I see it. When we went 4-5-1; I would have liked to have seen DS in the advanced role with 2 others sitting. Instead; DS was asked to sit and Whitts was the in the advanced role. For me; DS has infinitely more about him than Casper – and I’d love to see him in the attacking midfielder role with the protection of 2 holding midfielders taking some of the defensive responsibility off him.

Agreed, but unfortunately Dale (and Whitts) has been dropped for tonight. So much for seeing :censored: in alongside him. :mad: