Abbott - Maybe I was rushed back

From the rarely read

PAWEL ABBOTT believes that his comeback from a hernia operation this season may have been premature.

The former Huddersfield and Swansea striker hit the net 13 times for Athletic to finish as the club's top scorer by a huge 10-goal margin.

That bare statistic show just how important the 28-year-old was to the club in terms of keeping League One survival hopes alive.

But on the flip side of the coin, a fatigued Abbott didn't score in his lastnine games as his season tailed off.

And he admits that he is looking forward to recharging his batteries in preparation for a better campaign.

"I think I came back too early. Maybe a couple more weeks with the physio and a few reserve games under my belt would have helped me," said Abbott, who was absent from early November to the start of January due to a hernia operation in Germany in which he suffered from unforeseen complications.

"I was too eager to get back as quickly as I could. I got 20 minutes at Hartlepool and then I was straight back starting again and I think it caught up with me.

"You could tell, as well. It did take a lot out of me.”

Abbott, who has another season of his Athletic contract to run, says that a frank team meeting called after the 2-0 home defeat to Brighton in March helped save the club from the drop to League Two.

"After the Brighton game we had a meeting with all the lads together," added Abbott, who says he found out about Dave Penney's sacking last week, like most of the players did, through the Internet.

"We were just outside the relegation places at the time. It cleared the air and that helped and we kicked on.

"After that, when we were safe I don't think any of the lads went out thinking, 'we're safe, there's nothing to play for'.

"Footballers have a lot of pride in themselves and want to win every game, no matter what the circumstances.

"In April most of the lads were back from injury and we had a full squad to pick from.

"At the beginning of the season we had a full squad and did well, too.

“It was just that in-between stage where maybe we hadn't got enough depth in the squad to cope with two or three injuries.

"I think with the squad we have got we shouldn't be in the position we finished up in.

"Everybody is disappointed and every single one of us hasn't played up to the standards that we are capable of."

Not surprised that his form tailed off, we were that desperate for him to come back when he did in January time that it was always likely to affect him later in the season.

I don't think there is even a debate; there's no maybe about it - he was rushed back after his operation. We had no other options upfront; and you just couldn’t see where the goals would come from without him in the side. He was rushed back and his second half of the season definitely affected by this fact.

Deane Smalley and Chris Taylor were both obviously rushed back into the side too; and it showed in their form.

Here’s hoping a good summer break gives a chance to recover, rest & recharge for all of them.