Primary School - Question for parents

Hi All

Just wondering what issues people have had with getting there kids into there Primary School of choice.

Did you get your first choice ?

Cheers for any feedback...

managed to get my son into the first choice although he has been attending the pre-school playgroup for 2 years don't know if this favoured him or not.

managed to get my son into the first choice although he has been attending the pre-school playgroup for 2 years don't know if this favoured him or not.

I might be wrong but its a decision taking by the council and not the school isn't it ?

The LEA will have a clearly stated admissions policy, typically based on post code, siblings at the school and a range of other criteria.

Going back a few years, my youngest went to the nursery at a local primary school, but didn't meet the criteria to progress in to the school proper. Despite this, the influence of the Headmaster managed to get the result that we wanted.

So while there are rules, a bit of "who you know" can also help.

The LEA will have a clearly stated admissions policy, typically based on post code, siblings at the school and a range of other criteria.

Going back a few years, my youngest went to the nursery at a local primary school, but didn't meet the criteria to progress in to the school proper. Despite this, the influence of the Headmaster managed to get the result that we wanted.

So while there are rules, a bit of "who you know" can also help.

The school we like is in our postcode... 0.3 miles :)

So we should be ok for our first choice you would presume? I cant find much for warrington

Edited by oafc0000

So we should be ok for our first choice you would presume? I cant find much for warrington

Found more information for the school I want and its looking good. If your local your in it seems.

It can depend on where the main roads are (this can effectively be a red line that means a primary school 0.5 miles in the other direction might be considered more appropriate by the LEA) as well as other criteria.

Gut reaction is that you should be ok. Talk to neighbours with young kids and find out where they go.

Also worth checking out what plan B would actually be ... 2nd choice primary school may not be as much of a disaster as 2nd choice secondary school can be (or even first choice).

I'm not a big expert on this but in Durham a nice area just lost a load of value from its houses as it stopped being in the catchment area for the very good state secondary school on the other side of town (incidentally where Labour held a cabinet meeting in Feb/March). Catchment areas change I would think this can be quite fluid and it may depend on a lot of things including the presence of any new houses etc.

I might be wrong but its a decision taking by the council and not the school isn't it ?

Yes it is, increasingly popular for schools have their own nurseries (they get a wedge more funding for this) and if you do send your child to the school's nursery you do have a better chance of getting your child into that school. Of course there are many instances of kids going to the school's nursery but then being refused a place in reception due to over-subscription - a problem for most schools now.

Yes it is, increasingly popular for schools have their own nurseries (they get a wedge more funding for this) and if you do send your child to the school's nursery you do have a better chance of getting your child into that school. Of course there are many instances of kids going to the school's nursery but then being refused a place in reception due to over-subscription - a problem for most schools now.

The school I am currently looking at for her doesn't have a nursery... Considering its down the road I suppose thats a good thing... Means it should tip more onto locality I would presume..

The school I am currently looking at for her doesn't have a nursery... Considering its down the road I suppose thats a good thing... Means it should tip more onto locality I would presume..

As far as I am aware nursery is irrelevant. I was offered a place for my daughter at a nursery attached to a school but the school told me that it didn't make any difference when is came to allocating the actual school places. So, I turned the nursery place down and kept her at the private nursery she was already attending. The school I wanted her to go to is a few miles from our house, however, she got in there no problem. That was 2 years ago and now the places are hard to get, purely because of a change in headteacher.

Visit the school, look at the Ofsted reports but don't base your decision entirely on those. I viewed one school, loved it and never wanted her to go anywhere else!