Dale Stephens

Come on...ya can't have it both ways!!!

Either you give credit to Penney for playing him....OR....you admit that we had THAT MANY injuries this season that Penney was forced (your word) to play him...it's funny how people claim injuries (had 10 potential 1st teamers out when Stephens was played) aren't an excuse for a struggling side but then people want to say the lad was forced into being played. I agree he was needed to be relied on but this is 1 of a hundred things that the manager had to put up with this season.

penneys hand was forced, stphens and another where the only midfield options against norwich becuase of injuries.

stephens would not have played this season if we had been injury free

so i give penney no credit for the first time he picked him, as i said i seem to remember him looking for loan players that week again until admitiing defeat in the market (could be wrong)

stephens then played well enough (better than the rest) to keep his place.

Come on...ya can't have it both ways!!!

Either you give credit to Penney for playing him....OR....you admit that we had THAT MANY injuries this season that Penney was forced (your word) to play him...it's funny how people claim injuries (had 10 potential 1st teamers out when Stephens was played) aren't an excuse for a struggling side but then people want to say the lad was forced into being played. I agree he was needed to be relied on but this is 1 of a hundred things that the manager had to put up with this season.

penneys hand was forced, stphens and another where the only midfield options against norwich becuase of injuries.

so i give penney no credit for the first time he picked him, as i said i seem to remember him looking for loan players that week again until admitiing defeat in the market (could be wrong)

BB80s point is, if you don't give Penney credit for playing reserves, because as you say "his hand was forced" then surely you have to accept that given these injuries our squad sustained; last season's results weren't entirely Penney's fault. Injuries dictated that for a lot of the season we weren't playing a full strength team. You're all quick to bash Penney for last season, blaming it on a lack of competence and discarding the fact we had a lot of injuries, but when it comes to giving Penney an ounce of credit for choosing to play a young reserve player, you're quick to acknowledge the fact he had no other option but to play reserves because of these injuries.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

BB80s point is, if you don't give Penney credit for playing reserves, because as you say "his hand was forced" then surely you have to accept that given these injuries our squad sustained; last season's results weren't entirely Penney's fault. Injuries dictated that for a lot of the season we weren't playing a full strength team. You're all quick to bash Penney for last season, blaming it on a lack of competence and discarding the fact we had a lot of injuries, but when it comes to giving Penney an ounce of credit for choosing to play a young reserve player, you're quick to acknowledge the fact he had no other option but to play reserves because of these injuries.

no i blame alot of the results on the players, not just penney.

but i also look back at the players he brought in and the sqaud he built at the start (not all of them of course)

if you get the right balance to a sqaud then when injuries come along and we had alot, you have the players to bring in to cover positions, not always of course.

penney played midfielders at fullback, fullbacks in midfield midfielders at centre back and centre backs at fullback and lomax :wink:

but he didnt give stephens a chance until it was his final option - his hand was forced imo

i blame penney and i blame the players...i am gald he is gone

i will give credit where it is due and im sorry but penney (imo) showed no man managment, crap tactics and looked lost for most of the season.

i wish it was different

Yawn, and on we go. Penney was a useless :censored: and thats why he got sacked.

I really cant believe people are still defending him. My only thought is that you didnt get to see many games last season.

Dale stephens really like him still has a little to learn but u can see somthing in him that will take him far, wouldnt be suprised if he is in a championship team in a year or 2 or even a prem reserve team.

He has a style and play which is similiar to steven gerrard obv not the full article yet but you can see him in him. :D

You can question why did the players get the injuries?

Purdie - virtually injury free career, comes here, penney says, right lad am getting everyone in for a week at start of june, he comes in and gets injured in one of the sessions and is out all season. Yes you can say thats unlucky, this sort of things happen, yet it repeats itself more, holdsworth got injured, taylor did, jacobsen etc. One is unlucky, but it happens, 3 or 4, you have to question the training drills penney used. His hand was forced, & if the loan market had still been open, then i reckon stephens would currently be looking for a new club ( & we would probably be in league two )

The game was played on 5th December.

Loan market closed on 26th November.

If that's true...how come we got Heffernan in on 30/11/09?

http://www.soccerbase.com/transfers_by_team.sd?teamid=1924

To be honest, I forgot about there being that deadline for loans before Xmas...however, players were dropping like flies a week or two before that time anyway...there was ample time to loan in a midfielder had we needed.

To be honest, I forgot about there being that deadline for loans before Xmas...however, players were dropping like flies a week or two before that time anyway...there was ample time to loan in a midfielder had we needed.

And plenty of resources too given the bottomless pot of gold Shez had....

^_^

he tried to loan midfielders the week of the Norwich game before admitting he may have to try Stephens

it was said in the Chron that week (could be bull)

there must not have been any Donny or Hudds players available

I was going off this from the BBC

Heffernan's not even on there...something isn't right with that BBC article.

And there's something not right with Soccerbase. According to that, we signed Nick Blackman, Alice is still at Chester and the Poisoned Scottish dwarf is still at Bury, or have I missed something?

Anygood?

When you played at our place he was the best player on the pitch, was that just a flash in the pan or is this kid the real deal?

Although 1 or 2 of our decent posters have responded to you, whilst others - as usual - become involved in their own opinion, regardless of your query - the answer, from my point of view to your original question, is that we signed Stephens on the back of him having lots of promise - we never really gave him a chance in the 1st team in his 1st season and after ridiculously getting rid of our 2nd string, he was never really seen in action in a game. However, our former manager Penney, regardless of forced on him or not, gave him a chance. He took it and proved very adequate at this level. Stephens is a very good footballer, comfortable on the ball, good vision and with more games - I believe will play in a better level than this. He does have the ability to look the best player on the park - hard work and head down, listening to a good coach should see him do well in the game.

Edited by futchers briefs