You'll Never Win Anything With Kids

There was a comment on here after the Shrewsbury game (Beeg-Teets IIRC) along the lines of the age of the team would make Gary Glitter drool (or something). Me and some work-mates have been talking football over lunch (none of them are fellow Latics fans; all greedy league fans) and I mentioned the age of our team at present. They all were very surprised at how young a squad we have; and one of them (ironically a Man U couch fan) said we’ll struggle with so many young ones and a team packed with kids.

I’ve just worked out that the average age of our side is 22.5 years of age. [That doesn’t include Gerrard or Dickov though; if you do include them then it rises to 23.4 years of age; but I don’t think either of them will feature much if at all so I didn’t count them in the total.]

We currently only have Gregan, Hazell, Jarrett, Feeney & Purdie over the age of 28 years old.

We’ve currently 10 players 21 years old or younger; 17 players 23 years old or younger. (& also 5 players who have their Birthday coming up in September – happy birthday’s in advance to M’Voto, Jones, Smalley, Jarrett & Fleming!)

This says to me 2 things. 1.) We’re a really young side. 2.) I haven’t enough work to do this afternoon! :wink:

I commented during the Shrewsbury game that in reality; the side we finished with would be more akin to a reserve side; age wise than a 1st team.

With a side made up of so many young players; some of whom are very; very inexperienced & raw (Bembo-Lita et all) it’s really not a surprise that inconsistency of performance will be rife. I can’t help feeling that we’re going to come a cropper at certain times without more experienced heads; leaders; shouters & talkers in the side to supplement the youngsters.

There was a comment on here after the Shrewsbury game (Beeg-Teets IIRC) along the lines of the age of the team would make Gary Glitter drool (or something). .

Yup, that was me.

If youre good enough.................. Age shouldn't matter, other players have proved it (Pele, Rooney, Owen).

True, but Pele, Rooney and Owen all played in teams with seasoned professionals in, not young kids also just making their way in the game. Fergie's fledglings had a fair smattering of old heads with them, as did O'Leary's "babies".

We have a seriously young team that does lack experience as a unit, whilst some of the pro's on our books might not be the best players individually they can add the experience which we will need as the season develops.

Yup, that was me.

True, but Pele, Rooney and Owen all played in teams with seasoned professionals in, not young kids also just making their way in the game. Fergie's fledglings had a fair smattering of old heads with them, as did O'Leary's "babies".

We have a seriously young team that does lack experience as a unit, whilst some of the pro's on our books might not be the best players individually they can add the experience which we will need as the season develops.

I agree

It must be noted that the kids are not good enough.

To be used in an analogy with Pele, Rooney, Owen then if you good enough you are old enough. They are not that good. Simple.

But it is exciting to se so many kids who could really form a solid team for a few years yet.