I've just given the 14 day trial a go and had a look at the "extended" highlights.

So far the quality is appalling. Is this as good as the video quality gets? Is there somewhere to download 720p versions (or even close to that) of the highlights? This is 2010 right? I'm not still in 2005 and dreaming it's five years later?

And where are all the interviews and such stored from more than a week ago? I can see about two clips for "behind the scenes", I can only find highlights for this season and last, there are no "classic matches" or "reserve team" clips. And whatever "legends" is meant to be is a mystery because there's nothing there either.

Is this it? Or am I missing something?

I've just given the 14 day trial a go and had a look at the "extended" highlights.

So far the quality is appalling. Is this as good as the video quality gets? Is there somewhere to download 720p versions (or even close to that) of the highlights? This is 2010 right? I'm not still in 2005 and dreaming it's five years later?

And where are all the interviews and such stored from more than a week ago? I can see about two clips for "behind the scenes", I can only find highlights for this season and last, there are no "classic matches" or "reserve team" clips. And whatever "legends" is meant to be is a mystery because there's nothing there either.

Is this it? Or am I missing something?

The vids are watchable, but higher resolution ones would be nice.

As for the highlights and goals, the archives went as soon as it changed to Player. When it was World you could access highlights from every fixture since the start of the service, (not only for your club, but every club with the World service) which was 2001 or something, but when it changed to Player the archives went, so now we're left with last seasons and this seasons only and I'm not sure you can access other clubs.

The commentary doesn't get much better either, again the streaming rates are pretty low, so the audio isn't of great quality, they must stream at 128kbps or something, it's audible but the option to stream it at a higher bitrate given that we have faster speed than 128kpbs these days, would be great. Then there's the actual commentary itself, I don't want to make personal attacks on people but Gordon and Roy, well....they're pretty bad, I'll leave you to judge though.

Our match highlights are now generic 3 minute videos created by who ever runs the overall service. Where as when it was World we had in house highlights which were up to 40 minutes long.

The service has definitely regressed since it change to Player. It's one of the reasons I cancelled my membership, fewer features but no decrease in price to reflect that.

Edited by PlayItLivo

The vids are watchable, but higher resolution ones would be nice.

As for the highlights and goals, the archives went as soon as it changed to Player. When it was World you could access highlights from every fixture since the start of the service, (not only for your club, but every club with the World service) which was 2001 or something, but when it changed to Player the archives went, so now we're left with last seasons and this seasons only and I'm not sure you can access other clubs.

The commentary doesn't get much better either, again the streaming rates are pretty low, so the audio isn't of great quality, they must stream at 128kbps or something, it's audible but the option to stream it at a higher bitrate given that we have faster speed than 128kpbs these days, would be great. Then there's the actual commentary itself, I don't want to make personal attacks on people but Gordon and Roy, well....they're pretty bad, I'll leave you to judge though.

Our match highlights are now generic 3 minute videos created by who ever runs the overall service. Where as when it was World we had in house highlights which were up to 40 minutes long.

The service has definitely regressed since it change to Player. It's one of the reasons I cancelled my membership, fewer features but no decrease in price to reflect that.

I certainly remember it being better and more in depth than it is now. I too had a subscription to Latics World (pre Dave Penney), and one of the perks was checking out old highlights. I remember 10 minutes or longer of highlights being produced per match. Additionally they mixed the highlights with the live commentary from Gordon and co (which while not perfect at least had some passion).

It doesn't seem like they are making any effort now. I don't know why they think I would pay for this once my free trial ends. And as I say, the video quality may be ok for some (and better than nothing) but I find it completey unacceptable by modern standards.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

I certainly remember it being better and more in depth than it is now. I too had a subscription to Latics World (pre Dave Penney), and one of the perks was checking out old highlights. I remember 10 minutes or longer of highlights being produced per match. Additionally they mixed the highlights with the live commentary from Gordon and co (which while not perfect at least had some passion).

It doesn't seem like they are making any effort now. I don't know why they think I would pay for this once my free trial ends. And as I say, the video quality may be ok for some (and better than nothing) but I find it completey unacceptable by modern standards.

The quality has actually improved quite a lot from the 'World' days but I find teh most annoying thing is the loss of real extended highlights and all the archives. I mean, is there ever a bad time to watch David Eyres last minute freekick at Stockport?! The service as is is the bare minimum they can get away with really, not sure if that's the club or 'Player' who are to blame for this though. Also, Gordon isn't so bad on commentary, I mean he ain't gonna be winning any prizes but he's ok, the major problem is Roy. He knows so 'lickle' about football it's unreal.

The quality has actually improved quite a lot from the 'World' day

I disagree. The video quality is much the same as it was back then.

I actually downloaded a few of the old Latics World highlights back in the day, which because my subscription is reactivated, now work again. I can therefore make a direct comparison. They are pretty much as pixelated as each other.

Rather annoyingly though, only the brief highlights work again. The extended highlights come up with server errors when searching the internet for permissions. So I now have a bunch of videos on my harddrive that I can't get to work under any circumstances.

I thought everyone loved the commentary. Okay so they don't call it right sometimes and player identification is occasionally a problem, but they're not always the last to know like some BBC types you could name, and they don't waffle on about stats or business. You'll not beat them for passion though. Some of my favourite latics moments have come to me via LW - the best of the lot was Gary McDonalds late equaliser against Scunthorpe a few years back.