Still waiting for postponement explanation!

Have we got our covers back from Dale yet? I may be wrong but Frost on the pitch due to excess water would suggest the covers were not down.

I heard via someone at the club NO, but that was last week. Plus I think when snow covers the pitch having the covers on underneath does more harm than good.

What's done is done.

But it's a bit smelly and doesn't seem to be fan focused.

Since when have Latics been 'fan focused' ?

I seem to recall past occasions at BP where the home crowd has been kept in at the end of the match waiting for the away fans to disperse and now, the 'fan focused' approach is to move the home fans to accomodate the away fans.

Since when have Latics been 'fan focused' ?

I seem to recall past occasions at BP where the home crowd has been kept in at the end of the match waiting for the away fans to disperse and now, the 'fan focused' approach is to move the home fans to accomodate the away fans.

Early decision avoids big loss

Date published: 13 December 2010

ATHLETIC avoided a possible £10,000 loss by having the Swindon Town clash called off on Friday lunchtime.

A local referee ruled that the npower League One clash could not go ahead, due to a combination of surface water and a frozen section of the pitch in front of the main stand.

Though the postponement led to disappointment among fans, chief executive Alan Hardy said the correct procedures had been followed.

“If the pitch is doubtful, it is our job to ascertain the visitors’ travelling arrangements and then inform the Football League,” said Hardy, who added that Swindon were planning to travel to the game on Friday.

“The Football League then sends an official to inspect and only that official can make a decision on whether the game can go ahead.

“The postponement affects us in terms of immediate cash-flow,” said Hardy.

“But if the game had been called off on Saturday it would have been more disappointing and could have cost us around £10,000.”

No new date has yet been set for the game.

:censored:ting themselves over taking a £10k hit, fair enough but how much did we lose in programme printing costs and catering? I'd avoid the pies on Boxing Day if I were you.... :wink:

It got cancelled, get over it!

Club does not need to apologise to fans - the referee inspected the pitch and made the decision, not the club, yes we asked for the inspection but we didnt call it off, the referee did after he told the FL about his findings and they gave him permission to call it off.

We might not like the fact that it was called off, i certainly didnt, but the club didnt call it off, the referee did.

Club does not need to apologise to fans - the referee inspected the pitch and made the decision, not the club, yes we asked for the inspection but we didnt call it off, the referee did after he told the FL about his findings and they gave him permission to call it off.

We might not like the fact that it was called off, i certainly didnt, but the club didnt call it off, the referee did.

The club asked for the early inspection! All we want to know is why when the forecast was for something of a vast improvement in temperatures!

To what end - what? I am merely asking the question why the decision was taken so early! If the pitch inspection was Sat am, the game would probably have been on. If it is because we have to pay some of Swindons costs if it gets postponed after they have travelled, then fine - but should somebody be telling us that was the reason!

it's up to them really

?

Edited by HarryBosch

but why? he wants to know why?

not that why, the other why - the REAL why.

why? i don't know - he just does. :unsure:

The club asked for the early inspection! All we want to know is why when the forecast was for something of a vast improvement in temperatures!

Perhaps the club didnt know swindon would be having a christmas do up here anyway regardless of game on or off, so thought they could save them travelling and wasting money? If your so bothered about it, how about e-mailing Alan Hardy? He's always willing to answer fans e-mails (and quickly) maybe he could tell you why?

but why? he wants to know why?

not that why, the other why - the REAL why.

why? i don't know - he just does. :unsure:

why?

Perhaps the club didnt know swindon would be having a christmas do up here anyway regardless of game on or off, so thought they could save them travelling and wasting money? If your so bothered about it, how about e-mailing Alan Hardy? He's always willing to answer fans e-mails (and quickly) maybe he could tell you why?

what if he can't handle the truth?

the ref didnt call it off....the club asked for someone from the refs association to inspect the pitch....a qualified individual came and inspected the pitch and conditions and spoke with the groundstaff present..he then rang the match ref to give his observations and a joint decision was made...

ground covers can only be used for 3 days before a game otherwise it starts to kill the roots and mould n lichen will form,which will lead to the surface needing reseeding...

the snow on the ground was acting as insulation for the pitch,it was only when it started to thaw that the drainage wasnt happening quickly enough and it was felt that if the drainage combined with rain didnt clear the water from the surface,and the temps dropped again it would have froze instantly meaning a dangerous surface...

so whats the point in risking some of our decent in form players for the sake of it and ending up shooting ourself in the foot again...plus we will have saved on policing and other costs as well.

so whats the point in risking some of our decent in form players for the sake of it and ending up shooting ourself in the foot again...plus we will have saved on policing and other costs as well.

Why? Have GMP agreed to police the rearranged fixture for nowt or something?

I honestly think the Latics suits half wanted this called off because they knew a rearrangement for 8th January was on the cards. Slightly increased crowd and no risk on having to pay for Swindon's luxurious stay in the Moston Tavel Tavern. Job done.