Minute's Silence

Was there one at BP for Nat Lofthouse today? Stood through one at Chelmsford which seemed a bit odd although I had respect for the man. Just made me wonder what sort of status is needed for someonme with no club connection to get that accolade and who else "deserves" one when they go. Bobby Charlton, Geoff Hurst; who else?

Was there one at BP for Nat Lofthouse today? Stood through one at Chelmsford which seemed a bit odd although I had respect for the man. Just made me wonder what sort of status is needed for someonme with no club connection to get that accolade and who else "deserves" one when they go. Bobby Charlton, Geoff Hurst; who else?

Nope, all repsect to Nat but no reason to have on at BP

I'd tend to agree but it says more about latics fans, sadly. There are some times when local rivalries (and it's not really one, is it?) should be set aside.

Not so sadly it would seem has I would have you down as one of the more social minded followers. Whilst I am sure the BP crowd would indeed pay him the respects any dead man should recieve I don't think Charlton would command the universal respect say a Sir Bobby Robson would. Most likely due to the fact Charlton is synonmous with one club and Sir Bobby with football in general.

No there wasn't, but it does beg the question, why are you on a latics forum, and not a Chelmsford one?

Surely a prerequisite is that they pass away first :huh: - whilst Charlton has been a one club man he has been a great embassador for British Sport in general with his role in Commonwealth & Olympic Games bids, I wouldn't have a problem in telling the missus to shut up for a minute in respect for him.

Surely a prerequisite is that they pass away first :huh: - whilst Charlton has been a one club man he has been a great embassador for British Sport in general with his role in Commonwealth & Olympic Games bids, I wouldn't have a problem in telling the missus to shut up for a minute in respect for him.

Along with 90% of other Latics fans who would do the right thing and respect the respecting if asked to do so. However the question was would it be relevant to hold a minutes silence for Nat at BP? or any other embassador in the game without a connection at the club. The answer is no for me. Otherwise it starts to reduce it's meaning just like too many legend accolades dished out.