where did it all go wrong

having read this site since it started , this is my first post ever

went to my first game in 1963 even though we lost 1-3 to walsall I saw bobby johnstone play

grew up with jim bowie , keith bebbington ,david shaw , jim fryatt

converted my rugby league dad to latics in the 1970's , alan groves etc, winning division 3 in 1974 with 15,000 gates

my daughter was born in blackpool , took her her to latics when she was 9 ,committed ever since

loved the glory years , having remembered losing to south shields in the cup in 1969

living in blackpool it now costs me £50 for a home game , petrol , parking , ticket etc , dont get to many games , listen to latics player

took my 11 year old grand daughter to the rochdale game at new year for her first live game and was asked why does the ground have 3 sides , why do we have to wait for the toilet, why is there no food left at half time. Bearing in mind she has been influenced by sky sports with full grounds etc , for gods sake even Blackpool are in the prem now! Went back to werneth where I grew up ,for hopefully a fond remembrance , wouldnt want to live there now! and my dad would turn in his grave if he could see the state of oldham rugby league now

all this rant has been brought about by a combination of recent bad results and the ground fiasco and what seems a council determination to ruin my town and my team ( my memories through rose coloured glasses obviously) , I worry my grand daughter and my new grandson may not have a team to support and if that happens , I will lose all interest in football, after all without your own team to passionately support ,the rest is mild indifference

having read this site since it started , this is my first post ever

went to my first game in 1963 even though we lost 1-3 to walsall I saw bobby johnstone play

grew up with jim bowie , keith bebbington ,david shaw , jim fryatt

converted my rugby league dad to latics in the 1970's , alan groves etc, winning division 3 in 1974 with 15,000 gates

my daughter was born in blackpool , took her her to latics when she was 9 ,committed ever since

loved the glory years , having remembered losing to south shields in the cup in 1969

living in blackpool it now costs me £50 for a home game , petrol , parking , ticket etc , dont get to many games , listen to latics player

took my 11 year old grand daughter to the rochdale game at new year for her first live game and was asked why does the ground have 3 sides , why do we have to wait for the toilet, why is there no food left at half time. Bearing in mind she has been influenced by sky sports with full grounds etc , for gods sake even Blackpool are in the prem now! Went back to werneth where I grew up ,for hopefully a fond remembrance , wouldnt want to live there now! and my dad would turn in his grave if he could see the state of oldham rugby league now

all this rant has been brought about by a combination of recent bad results and the ground fiasco and what seems a council determination to ruin my town and my team ( my memories through rose coloured glasses obviously) , I worry my grand daughter and my new grandson may not have a team to support and if that happens , I will lose all interest in football, after all without your own team to passionately support ,the rest is mild indifference

Quite poignant and almost sad reading when you take into account your last sentence regarding your Grandchildren - We had a conversation about this on the way home from the ground last night and it is frighteningly worrying. The future generation will struggle to have the same desire and passion for the club as was passed down to you, myself and many others, due to the state that the club and game in general finds itself in - The future of the game at this level is balancing ever closer to days very different thatn the ones you and many of us vividly remember.

Edited by futchers briefs

futchers briefs

thank you for a decent reply as opposed to the harrybosch smarta**e responses .I just care so much for my team and my town , I just wish those people who make the key decisions felt the same

futchers briefs

thank you for a decent reply as opposed to the harrybosch smarta**e responses .

you cite the facilities as being a problem - they've deteriorated from being the best they've ever been when we went all seater but are still nowhere near as bad as they were for the majority of the time you've supported the club

I just care so much for my team and my town , I just wish those people who make the key decisions felt the same

same here

Macca has just told me he wants you round at his one night for tea

thanks for the invitation ,where does he want to start , south shields away 1969 , getting beat up at workington , oldham 6 huddersfield 0 1974 , ian towers , alan lawson , simon stainrod , that semi at wembley with the special train breaking down at stafford for 2 hours . rugby league cup semi at wigan with a terrible decision robbing oldham RL after I had promised my family a a london weekend, joining the M1 from the M6 for the league cup final with a yard dog hanging from the window of our mini bus with cannon and ball on the tape player, the non goal against the scum 1974 , such memories and i hope more to come

Edited by rossy52

Like you I grew up watching the same players and inherited the passion from my Dad. Saw the balmy 11-2 win against Southport in what looked like 6 inches of snow on the pitch.

I also can't see how the next generation will be able to experience what I did. There are so many different reasons for the situation coming to this and no single party to blame.

It is hard to believe how so many things could go wrong one after another and I keep thinking that something has to go right eventually but will it?

you cite the facilities as being a problem - they've deteriorated from being the best they've ever been when we went all seater but are still nowhere near as bad as they were for the majority of the time you've supported the club

yes but at least you could bounce up and down on the wooden planks at the back of the chaddy to keep warm !!!

Edited by rossy52

Your first post was an excellent post, perhaps the fact that I was born very late 1951 and have the same memories as you help. ( including that broken down train from Wembley)

Both my son and daughter were brought up to be "anti red" but must admit to feel that I will find it hard to encourage my grand kids to KTF

Most of the users of this site are genuine tics and I would tend to ignore some of the "wind up" comments that are ocaisionally made

Some (not many) are full of advice but cant be arsed to get to BP and that to me appears to be part of the problem

However there are many others that are trying to be costructive in a positive way to keep our team alive

I have wondered if this services costs the club - I see they're pushing it with a free trial at the moment.

It's very good value and not inconceivable that there's a fair few opting to pay £1 a week for live commentary with goals and reaction 24 hours later as opposed to £20+ and travel time to actually attend.

I'm pretty keen and have myself thought "sod it" a few times, though usually when it's still Friday night in Stitch world. :wacko: