Dale Stephens update

Stephens wasn't particularly impressive tonight - infact in the first half the game passed him by. In the second Southampton dominated, but Stephens wasn't in it that much. Lallana came on for him in the last 10 and looked better instantly. One great piece of skill to flick it over a players head, beat another and pass. I was surprised when they wanted to sign him and I cant see what he brought to the team.

As for the game, Dale started very brightly. Nipped it about well. Saints had a 5-10 min spell of pressure with Fon Williams making two good saves and then bang.. A dale goal - great cross, good header, keeper didn't move. Then for the rest of the half dale played some very good stuff and scored again. Chris O Grady shot, poor keeping and 2-0. Well deserved.

2nd half was pretty much one way traffic. Di Prado had a shot well saved and Hammond really should have scored. Lots more pressure on the dale goal, saints hit the post - and dale looked lively on the break (without Davis making a save). Saints missed Oxlade-Chamberlain and Chaplow, with those 2 in, I think it would have been a different story, but a big effort from dale and good luck to them. You make your own luck and I was impressed.

Edited by pukka

Can anyone really say we've missed him from our last three games? The team's performances have pretty much been on a par, if not better than with him in the line-up.

If it looks like Saints don't want him, does this mean we'll have to sell Lee, Furman or Taylor instead to get us through the summer?

He's not much of a game-turner on his own, if he doesn't fit how Southampton are playing he won't shine. He's a type of player Latics fans often don't appreciate (until they are gone anyway) who keeps the ball moving around the different attacking options. Not much to do when we are so :censored: that there aren't any options.

He's not much of a game-turner on his own, if he doesn't fit how Southampton are playing he won't shine. He's a type of player Latics fans often don't appreciate (until they are gone anyway) who keeps the ball moving around the different attacking options. Not much to do when we are so :censored: that there aren't any options.

Thats exactly what Kennedy was doing for Dale last night (first half especially) - Stephens was just a passenger. Lallana upped the tempo instantly. He was played quite deep though.

Thats exactly what Kennedy was doing for Dale last night (first half especially) - Stephens was just a passenger. Lallana upped the tempo instantly. He was played quite deep though.

Aye - at times early in the season we more or less had a front 4 - perfect for a Stephens. When we went narrow and long he had nowt to do, he's not the man to run past 6 defenders and smash it in on his own. I don't really agree with people who describe him as, "creative," that for me is a Wellens or a Shez type, Stephens lets others create, usually out wide, whilst he can still nip up and have the odd shot for himself.

Aye - at times early in the season we more or less had a front 4 - perfect for a Stephens. When we went narrow and long he had nowt to do, he's not the man to run past 6 defenders and smash it in on his own. I don't really agree with people who describe him as, "creative," that for me is a Wellens or a Shez type, Stephens lets others create, usually out wide, whilst he can still nip up and have the odd shot for himself.

I think he gets labelled ‘creative midfielder’ as he is, as you say; a spray passer of the ball who keeps the game ticking over; bringing the wings into play or slotting through-balls for the strikers....and that is mistaken for being our creative ball player.

For me; it’s a loose term; and plenty of players get their sides ‘creative’ term when they possibly shouldn’t.

Ours for me would be Morais not Stephens for example.

Taking the financials out of the equation - I’d have Stephens back in a flash as he’s a good L1 player......but he is one of the saleable assets; and I think it’s pretty obvious that 1 of them will have to be sold to keep us going, so; as such out of him, Lee, Taylor & Furman – even though i do rate him, I’d prefer Dale S to be the one who is sold on; leaving us with the other 3 for next season’s side.

I think he gets labelled ‘creative midfielder’ as he is, as you say; a spray passer of the ball who keeps the game ticking over; bringing the wings into play or slotting through-balls for the strikers....and that is mistaken for being our creative ball player.

For me; it’s a loose term; and plenty of players get their sides ‘creative’ term when they possibly shouldn’t.

Taking the financials out of the equation - I’d have Stephens back in a flash as he’s a good L1 player......but he is one of the saleable assets; and I think it’s pretty obvious that 1 of them will have to be sold to keep us going, so; as such out of him, Lee, Taylor & Furman – even though i do rate him, I’d prefer Dale S to be the one who is sold on; leaving us with the other 3 for next season’s side.

I Agree, out of taylor furman lee and stephens, id rather have stephens go than any other of the choices.

I'd happily take that if it was the deal on offer, Unfortunately reckon we will lose another if not all.

I'd happily take that if it was the deal on offer, Unfortunately reckon we will lose another if not all.

It would really depend on how much he goes for. Remeber we have to pay bury the sell on clause, i wouldnt mind seeing taylor go too for a good fee aslong as its invested into some new players.

Reading between the lines of the Corney interview on Radio Manchester a few weeks ago, I got the impression that he would have liked Taylor to have left by now.

Whether that's because of his wages or another reason I don't know but I don't expect him to be playing for us next season.

Reading between the lines of the Corney interview on Radio Manchester a few weeks ago, I got the impression that he would have liked Taylor to have left by now.

Whether that's because of his wages or another reason I don't know but I don't expect him to be playing for us next season.

Taylor has had major ups and down in his form, and ups and down in what Mr Corney could have sold him for. Therefore, there have been times that he wished he had sold him, and times when he decided not to. Simple as that.

Stephens is more likely to make something happen in midfield. How many goals and assists? Sure he misplaces passes and he doesn't get stuck in but he's contributed more to the team than anyone else this season. Stephens creates and scores goals.

Dare I suggest Furman hasn't been upto his early season form? He gets stuck in though so who cares?

Hasn't done much else though for weeks.