Jack Daniels Style T-shirt

JD T-shirt  

19 members have voted

1. 1. I didn't get one last time and

• I want one
    • I don't want one

You said southport was in merseyside. Not 'some' of southport.

Ok then, I stand corrected, most of southport is in Merseyside, whilst some of it is in West Lancashire. However, it does not make a blind bit of difference to the point I was making, that Southport, even the parts in Merseyside, has a PR postcode.

Ok then, I stand corrected, most of southport is in Merseyside, whilst some of it is in West Lancashire. However, it does not make a blind bit of difference to the point I was making, that Southport, even the parts in Merseyside, has a PR postcode.

I've lost the point of this thread.

Can I still get a JD Latics T shirt, or do I have to come from Lancashire Greater manc chester or Merseyside to qualify

I am not denying that Oldham/Manchester was once part of Lancashire, nor am I denying that alot of Oldhamers still consider themselves as part of Lancaster, regardless of the redivision of the boundaries in 1974.

I thought this was a :whoosh: because we've flogged it to death many times.

As pointed out by SholverBlue, the map you posted is showing the Lancashire County Council administrative area. Lancashire County Council's area is not the whole of the county of Lancashire.

The Oldhamers who consider themselves as part of Lancashire are correct.

The confusion arises from the constant misuse of the name Greater Manchester, particularly in the media. GM is an administrative area, not an historic county. It gets referred to wrongly in weather forecasts and traffic reports and they even drop the 'Greater' and refer to the "M6 in Manchester", which of course is nonsense.

The following clarify the position:

"The local Government Act 1972 did not abolish traditional counties, only administrative ones. Although for local government purposes some of the historic counties have ceased to be administrative areas, they continue to exist for other purposes." (Department of the Environment, 3 September 1991).

"Legislation enacted for the creation of the administrative county was for the purpose of local government and did not affect the geographical boundaries of the County Palatine." (Duchy of Lancaster Office, 4 March 1996).

I thought this was a :whoosh: because we've flogged it to death many times.

As pointed out by SholverBlue, the map you posted is showing the Lancashire County Council administrative area. Lancashire County Council's area is not the whole of the county of Lancashire.

The Oldhamers who consider themselves as part of Lancashire are correct.

The confusion arises from the constant misuse of the name Greater Manchester, particularly in the media. GM is an administrative area, not an historic county. It gets referred to wrongly in weather forecasts and traffic reports and they even drop the 'Greater' and refer to the "M6 in Manchester", which of course is nonsense.

The following clarify the position:

"The local Government Act 1972 did not abolish traditional counties, only administrative ones. Although for local government purposes some of the historic counties have ceased to be administrative areas, they continue to exist for other purposes." (Department of the Environment, 3 September 1991).

"Legislation enacted for the creation of the administrative county was for the purpose of local government and did not affect the geographical boundaries of the County Palatine." (Duchy of Lancaster Office, 4 March 1996).

I was arguing against this point primarily

oldhams in lancashire nothing to do with greater or lesser manchester

Perhaps it was my fault for not making myself clear. Whilst historically we are part of Lancashire, as far as local government is concerned, administratively, we are part of the metropolitan county that is Greater Manchester since 1974, contrary to what the quote above says. And Greater Manchester has been considered a ceremonial county of England since 1997, as detailed here and here and here

Edited by Lookers_Carl

I have been asked if we can get more of this design in so is there anyone out there who didn't get one but still want one.

jd.jpg

To get this thread back on track - I would love a black (XL) one but agree that it needs to read 'Lancashire's' ...