Manchester city centre - parking tips

I don't go into Mcr often, in the car anyway - possibly 3 or 4 times a year. For convenience, I usually just lazily park in the Arndale or Shude Hill bus station. I was pretty well stunned to be charged 6.90 for 3 hours today in the Arndale.

Anyone know of anywhere cheaper, but still secure, central and close to the main shopping areas ?

I don't go into Mcr often, in the car anyway - possibly 3 or 4 times a year. For convenience, I usually just lazily park in the Arndale or Shude Hill bus station. I was pretty well stunned to be charged 6.90 for 3 hours today in the Arndale.

Anyone know of anywhere cheaper, but still secure, central and close to the main shopping areas ?

That's actually mid rage pricing now. On street parking tends to be cheaper as operated by the council but hard to get at busy times. I did know a decent open car park but Co-op are now building on it. Uni of Manchester has a multi story on Charles St which is £2 all day Sat/Sun. A few mins walk from Portland Street.

If you don't mind a 10 minute walk, the car-park on Rochdale Road is decent, £2 all day Mon-Fri, £1 at weekends - there's a few on that road gradually getting more expensive the nearer to Shude Hill you get...

If you don't mind a 10 minute walk, the car-park on Rochdale Road is decent, £2 all day Mon-Fri, £1 at weekends - there's a few on that road gradually getting more expensive the nearer to Shude Hill you get...

Cheers fella. I drive past that on my way in and it's just a bit too far out for me - also, no disrespect to people who live round there, but I aint risking walking up that stretch at dusk with me Armani, Flannels and Kendals bags - y'get me?! Manz get merked.

That's actually mid rage pricing now. On street parking tends to be cheaper as operated by the council but hard to get at busy times. I did know a decent open car park but Co-op are now building on it. Uni of Manchester has a multi story on Charles St which is £2 all day Sat/Sun. A few mins walk from Portland Street.

Mid rage ?! Gave me some rage, it did.

Cheers for tip. Would rather be on northern side, but looking on Google maps it does seem reasonably central.

Pleased you asked, means I can show off.

I only ever drive in and park in either of the N.C.P's by Afflecks, often overnight. If it's sunny I park in the outdoor one, don't pay and display and ignore any penalty charges. If it's raining I park in the indoor multi and just follow a lucky motorist out through the barriers, no danger. Saved me hundreds of pounds I reckon, largely thanks to a well-known poster around here. Tends to impress/amuse whoever I may be with too.... :first:

After I had posted this topic I had a feeling Stitch and LL would pipe up, having read about your antics on here before. Appreciate the advice lads, but I drive a company car and suspect the bosses would frown upon such behaviour.

They will send their mickey mouse letters to the registered keeper address, so if that's your fleet manager or company secretary it depends whether you can get them on side i suppose. I dont know how they work but it could be an option to have the above send them a letter transfering liability to you so your company dont get the letters which you then ignore. I suspect it would :censored: with their minds if nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

Clamping used to be all they could do, but even then they could only do it there and then. They lost a court case last year and now cant clamp at all. You need a Warrant of Execution to clamp for old tickets. I suppose they will try and find a new legal route but you would be amazingly unlucky to be the test case.