Who should be responsible for buying players?

1) A manager identifies a player he would like to sign who he thinks will strengthen his side

2) The manager speaks to his chairman and is told how much money is available to try and secure the player

3) The manager speaks to the manager of the target player’s team

4) The manager decides whether he would like to sell and then speaks to his chairman and the player

This ^^ is exactly how it should be

The role of managers in bringing in new players seems to be diminishing all the time with owners choosing players they want rather than getting those desired by the manager. Surely this can't be the way forward.

Influence of Chairmen

The reason why it's gone this route is that football managers don't tend to have the business background to make them any good at negotition, legal issues, tax etc and when you have such large fees, its a huge risk to leave such decision making to one untrained, most likely short term employee.

THE LATICS WAY

1) A manager identifies a player he would like to sign who he thinks will strengthen his side

2) The manager speaks to his chairman and is told how much money is available to try and secure the player gets laughed out of the door.

3) The manager speaks to the manager of the target player’s team

4) The manager decides whether he would like to sell and then speaks to his chairman and the player

This ^^ is exactly how it should be

I cant remember who but i saw one of the lower league chairmen saying he got lists of 5 or 10 players from his manager who could fill a position, that way he could negotiate. Sounds like a better way to me, unless you are at the very top level there is no way that any one player could be so important that you break the bank for him.

I cant remember who but i saw one of the lower league chairmen saying he got lists of 5 or 10 players from his manager who could fill a position, that way he could negotiate. Sounds like a better way to me, unless you are at the very top level there is no way that any one player could be so important that you break the bank for him.

I sometimes wonder why with all the reduced budgets, players not being able to find clubs etc, why there are still players in our league who look questionable as footballers and we still struggle to afford them.